Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Ghastly

Post by thespaceinvader »

Darker_Dreams wrote:That definitely falls under the heading of "things I should have thought about."
This version looks great, but for the fact that the hand shrinks a lot during the middle frame, and a little during the final frame. Fix that, and you're there, i think.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

But link is left handed, most people is right handed, and the main hand is the one you usually use for the weapon ;)
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
JW

Post by JW »

Vendanna wrote:But link is left handed, most people is right handed, and the main hand is the one you usually use for the weapon ;)
Yes, but my point was the stance, not the handed-ness. Also, sprites are flipped so that they end up being both left- and right-handed IIRC.
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

JW; that is, essentially, the pose I'm going for. I originally wanted the hand turned out- as he doesn't have a shield, but getting the rotation right seems to be beyond me at this point.

Vendanna/JW; their handedness does switch, but is generally right-handed for east-facing (base) frames... I see no reason to change that.
Attachments
ghast-defendr.gif
ghast-defendr.gif (6.15 KiB) Viewed 2861 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The first thing i think there is...

OM NOM NOM!

He looks like he's feeding himself canapes =D Awesome animation, but maybe not quite a defensive one... Possibly turning the shoulder in a little more, and showing some more of the forearm might help, o the hand isn't right in the centre of the mouth? Or opening up the hand a little - the pinching appearance of the fingers enhances this effect.

It looks cool, though =)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
JW

Post by JW »

TBH, I really don't know why you don't just use the old one (turning away + right arm block), but I guess I'll drop it since you don't want to use it.

With the latest animation there seems to be an error with his left arm. It is clearly not the same arm at different points in the animation. His hand grows wildly in the last frame, for example, and his arm become more/less smooth and small.
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

thespaceinvader wrote: OM NOM NOM!
That's going to be a thing later...

I might have something to do with the hand- but JW's comment about the whole arm is bugging me.
JW wrote:TBH, I really don't know why you don't just use the old one (turning away + right arm block), but I guess I'll drop it since you don't want to use it.
it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other to me. Trying to fix that one shoulder would(/should) be easier than the arm...
*shrugs*
JW wrote:With the latest animation there seems to be an error with his left arm. It is clearly not the same arm at different points in the animation. His hand grows wildly in the last frame, for example, and his arm become more/less smooth and small.
Actually, I've checked and the hand is the same size in the first and last frames. It's positioned differently (it's more closed in one orientation), but the lengths are the same to about a pixel, it changes orientation in between, which might be unclear, but is patterned directly off of the 'phage (and ghoul) animation...
As for the arm... the more I look at it the more I see there are a number of weird things going on with that. I expect there to be significant shifts in the "illumination" and shapes in the arm, because it's rotating, but I think that it gets a little extra deformed in the process and loses some definition.
Guidrion

Post by Guidrion »

This one might be used as an idle animation. :D
"There is no difference between good or bad but thinking makes it so"
William Shakespeare.
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

I think I like the quality of the right-handed block better, but the left handed/right face block is more in line with other animations.

edit; apparently I get my right and left confused easily... forgetting about stage right vs audience right probably.
Attachments
ghast-defenda.gif
ghast-defenda.gif (10.31 KiB) Viewed 2539 times
ghast-defendr.gif
ghast-defendr.gif (6.12 KiB) Viewed 2540 times
Last edited by Darker_Dreams on January 29th, 2009, 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I think the first one, the right-handed block is better, and of better quality. It's probably good enough, but it would be improved by one more frame showing the hand and arm farther up than where they end now. I think the second would need more work than that to go in the game.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

beetlenaut; that's what I meant... the first one is better quality, the second one matches other animations better. Ironically, the animation that I've already got has more frames and action than the ones in mainline- and at least as much coverage... but, yeah, I'll look at it.

The biggest frustration in this little project hasn't been the application, or the problems with getting things to look right, it's that as much as I've gotten griped at for the art; it's at least partially because I used the same style and shape as the other units in the line ...the ones it advanced from... rather than something wildly different in style or silly in shape.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Darker_Dreams, I have to agree with beetlenaut, the right-handed block does look much better. You have put a great deal of effort into trial and error with these. The only question I have is about his left arm. It seems as if it slides over independently of any other motion in his body, is that him starting to turn his body to get ready to block?
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
JW

Post by JW »

Turuk wrote:The only question I have is about his left arm. It seems as if it slides over independently of any other motion in his body, is that him starting to turn his body to get ready to block?
Yes, if you look closely you can see his left leg move back and his mouth shift.
Darker_Dreams wrote:beetlenaut; that's what I meant... the first one is better quality, the second one matches other animations better. Ironically, the animation that I've already got has more frames and action than the ones in mainline- and at least as much coverage... but, yeah, I'll look at it.
D_D, it is easy to see a minor thing in your wonderful animation when it is looped endlessly in front of us here in a forum. In the game where a defense animation does not last nearly as long, nor receive so much focus, it is not so easy to see such things. :wink: I do think we all agree that the animation is quite good, and the desire to have it lengthened should only reinforce the fact that it is so good that you have us wanting more! :)
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

JW wrote:Yes, if you look closely you can see his left leg move back and his mouth shift.
I see that, but they move after the arm has already started moving on it's own.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
JW

Post by JW »

Turuk wrote:
JW wrote:Yes, if you look closely you can see his left leg move back and his mouth shift.
I see that, but they move after the arm has already started moving on it's own.
Aaaaahh....now I see what you're saying. It does not seem odd to me though.