Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Re: Terrain tiling [Dirt for a change]

Post by Boucman »

the first think I thought was "plowed land"

but that's probably due to the current repetitiveness that you plan to fix anyway
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Ignoring the repetitiveness, that looks very nice!
TheJM

Post by TheJM »

Yeah, the color looks good. It definitely needs some variation, but you already said that.

Some of the transitions look a little.. grainy? I'm not sure. The more I look at it, the more I'm not sure. It's like they don't blend quite right.

..Meh, I dunno. :?
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Post by Cernunnos »

TheJM, which transitions look odd, could you explain a little bit?
"While portrait art may be where Wesnoth gets its glamour, and sprite art may be where Wesnoth gets its zest, it's the terrain art that's so crucial to Wesnoth's polish - it's the canvas that the rest goes on." Sangel
TheJM

Post by TheJM »

Sorry, I realize my post wasn't very clear. I think it's the dirt->grassland transition that is bugging me. I mostly notice it with the lighter grass though.

Anyway, I think they don't blend together quite right, like the edge of the dirt is a little too sharp. the noise around the edge sticks out a little too much, so it doesn't quite blend right.

(gahh, I'm sorry, I can't quite put into words what I mean. hang on a sec)

Ok here's sorta what I mean. Basically all I did was apply a tiny amount of gaussian blur to some edge pixels I painted on.

Only a suggestion. I think what happens is when the dark dirt pixels are overlayed onto the really light terrain, they show up a lot more, causing them to not look as nice. Sorry again for my unclearness. :annoyed:
Attachments
dirttransition.png
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Post by Cernunnos »

No need to be sorry,

Hmmm, this is a good point, even if i'm not quite sure of what to do so far.

First, the transitions you talk about apply to grass, it's the grass hex which do a transition over the dirt terrain and the grass transitions have some transparent pixels.

The current dirt looks this way:
current.png
current.png (83.29 KiB) Viewed 4903 times
(and this is these transitions that apply to most terrain being right next to grass, ie roads...)

So, maybe i could try to change the general color of dirt a little, maybe clearer overall, for the transitions to apply better, or as you said, seems to be the dark parts of the dirt to work on...

Well, i don't know but i'll try to improve this and also make it more dirt and less plowed land...
(reducing the height of the relief on it etc...)

Edit: Worked a little,
weldyn.png
Screen from Weldyn channel,
i believe there is less repetitiveness, the tiles where there is some grass on, need a little more work, (maybe a third grass-on variation...?)

I hope this match approximately the idea you had about what dirt should look like...

Critiques are welcome [edit: and would be appreciated before i start the transitions ;) ].
Thanks, bye.
"While portrait art may be where Wesnoth gets its glamour, and sprite art may be where Wesnoth gets its zest, it's the terrain art that's so crucial to Wesnoth's polish - it's the canvas that the rest goes on." Sangel
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

I like it. :) Definitely an improvement over the old dirt terrain. The transitions looks good to me.

One thing though about the patches of grass on the dirt terrain. A lot of underground maps uses dirt besides cave terrain, it would perhaps be a bit strange if those tile variations with grass on them showed up there.

EDIT: Maybe random rocks or something would be a better idea to break up the repetitiveness.
Last edited by Sleepwalker on January 30th, 2009, 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

That's starting to look pretty good, but I think it's still a tad bit too blurry. Maybe some lines should be defined a bit better and/or the shadows and highlights boosted a bit.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

zookeeper wrote:That's starting to look pretty good, but I think it's still a tad bit too blurry. Maybe some lines should be defined a bit better and/or the shadows and highlights boosted a bit.
Possibly, but boosting the shadows and highlights would make it appear as if there's greater height variation. Even in the latest iteration, it looks like the height variation of the dirt is greater than the height variation of the grass, which I'm not sure is a good idea.

Apart from that issue, the dirt's definitely an improvement.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Wow, I must say that's really much better than the current maimlime ones in my opinion at least. :) But the only thing I must say, they're pretty... hmm... like... poo farm or something? I mean, the dirt is so dark it looks like poo farm. (Note that I don't know the correct word so I used the word "poo farm" :lol: I meant the stuff that is put on flowers when rising then.)
Check out my sprites!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

woodmouse wrote: I mean, the dirt is so dark it looks like poo farm. (Note that I don't know the correct word so I used the word "poo farm" I meant the stuff that is put on flowers when rising then.)
:annoyed: Then use google to look it up? The word you are looking for is fertilizer. Dirt does come in many colors from very light to very dark, so the fact that it may indeed resemble fertilizer is not a bad one. Rich dirt can be quite dark. How about we leave comments to things a bit more constructive then it looks like poo farm.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

I second sleepwalker's statement about the grassy bits, but otherwise it looks pretty much perfect to me (note that I'm no expert though).
For the dark gods!
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Post by Cernunnos »

Hi,

thanks a lot,

actually, i think it could be better with something more textured, something more like that :
dirt3b.png
dirt3b.png (10.06 KiB) Viewed 4319 times
[edit: maybe a little more shiny would be interesting too, for some kind of wet effect...]

edit: if someone have the time to, be my guest.

Farewell, see ya. 04/02, 3pm.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Here's a thought, based on the most recent post:
Attachments
dirt-test.png
dirt-test.png (92.29 KiB) Viewed 4563 times
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I really like Jetryl's dirt tiles. It's not as dark brown as the current one, though - would it be over the top to have two dirt tiles, one the color of Jetryl's, one a darker brown like what Cernunnos is working on?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm