Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
woodmouse

Re: Dragon sprite

Post by woodmouse »

Boucman wrote:if you want to test, port your campaign to 1.5

you'll have to do it eventually anyway
well, Mystic era is an era. Anyway, the unit isn't coded yet, but it's only so... that... I don't want to post it in 1.5.x, because the whole era doesn't work in 1.5.x for some reason. :(
Anyway, this could maybe be split or something? Because this seems to be getting off topic about multihex units...?
Check out my sprites!
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

There is a problem with the ellipses. It looks like the dragon has a hula hoop around his ankles. Is there a way to fix the layering with a custom ellipse, or is that an engine issue? (BTW, good job on that Boucman. That's something I've wished the engine could do for a while, and I didn't know it was all done in 1.5.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Custom ellipse would fix that, as I understand it.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

yes, this would be done after any commit
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

woodmouse wrote:Anyway, this could maybe be split or something? Because this seems to be getting off topic about multihex units...?
Thanks, we will do our job when needed. A better idea is not to post asking questions that are not relevant to the subject matter.
woodmouse wrote:Why is that, btw? I mean, it seems to work properly in 1.5.x. so why not add it in 1.4.x? Just askin, because then this dragon could also be in 1.4.x, right?
STOP asking for features in 1.5x to be put into 1.4x. I have seen you do this in other threads. There is a reason certain features are only in 1.5, so if you want them, play on the developmental version.

beetlenaut wrote: There is a problem with the ellipses. It looks like the dragon has a hula hoop around his ankles. Is there a way to fix the layering with a custom ellipse, or is that an engine issue?
Please read the whole thread before you post, this was mentioned and addressed already in this thread by turin. Thank you.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

At the risk of sounding like an ungrateful jackass- I just wanted to raise the possibility of shifting the red to "team color." if it'd be too hard, wouldn't look as good, or you just don't want to; that's fine... just thought it might be worth suggesting.

cheerio, and again, excellent stuff!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

In general, we don't TC monsters. It looks strange. A bright blue dragon would look kinda silly... It would also take away some of the nuances from the shading, since you'd lose any hue variation.

It's a nice idea, but not really necessary. It's highly unlikely that there will ever be dragons on more than one team in a game...
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

To cut back slightly to the primary issue on point right now -

When it comes to the size of the dragon, I personally would love to see it as large as possible without covering up units in surrounding hexes. In Pixelmind's latest mockup, I feel that the largest dragon (on the left) DOES cover up units in surrounding squares; you can scarcely see the bowman, for instance. The central dragon, on the other hand, does NOT substantially cover units in surrounding squares. This makes it a strong candidate.

It is possible that a dragon between these two in size would provide the optimum balance of intimidating size and visibility of surrounding hexes, particularly if carefully aligned on the hex. However, I'll leave that determination to the experts.

And before I forget - great, great work. When it comes to sprite-art, this is perhaps the boldest entry into the forums since Neo's original splash.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

I really like the large one you made. If you are worried about size issues, you could use the current one as a walking animation and have the dragon rear up on his hind legs for an idle pose, making him seem even larger and more intimidating.

:D
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Personally, while I think the huge dragons look really cool, I actually prefer the 90x90 one, mainly because it's the only one whose feet are mostly within the hex. The graphics going outside the hex is one think, but I do think it'd be better if he looked like he was standing just in the hex he's supposed to occupy, not the three hexes around it too. :P And it's not like the 90x90 one isn't pretty big looking - he stands ~12 feet (~4m) off the ground and looks like he's ~30 feet (~10m) long including tail. That's no Smaug, but it is impressively large.

The middle dragon could work too, I guess. I do think the huge one is way too big though (I don't think anyone disputes this).
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

turin wrote:The middle dragon could work too, I guess. I do think the huge one is way too big though (I don't think anyone disputes this).
I do. His feet aren't that far outside the hex - it remains obvious which one he belongs to. Covering doesn't bother me either, what with the rarity of the unit.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

and, again, the fact that the unit can be lowered in the hex, thus less covering the top hexes...

now, this is for jetryl to decide anyway
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
pixelmind
Art Contributor

Post by pixelmind »

Updated the attack animation:

As for the size:
imo, The "huge" one is definitely too big for proper use ( leaving no space to animate and blocking units ).
The middle one would look great, but it may interferes too much with the terrain ( don't know have to test this ingame ).
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Shouldn't the tail move a bit more? it looks like the end of the tail doesn't move at all.

Apart of it, the animation is terrific! (of awesome)
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Very nice work, apart from the issue vendanna already mentioned. I look forward to seeing what you make of the other attacks (claw and tail slap IIRC).