Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Re: Dragon sprite

Post by Boucman »

Darker_Dreams wrote: But god, the looks on players faces the first time that huge one shows up on screen... I have to admit that I'm in lust and would totally love to see the dragon become an advancement chain with these.

hehe

yeah, we will have to wait for Jet's opinion on these...

on a more "mudane" aspect, the head looks a tad small and boring, not sure it's the right way to describe it, but I would expect some sort of triceratops like colar or horns, or something...

just a sugestion
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Moved to Art Contributions.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
pixelmind
Art Contributor

Post by pixelmind »

I tried to make him look more like a dragon.
Not sure if it got better or worse :P
Attachments
red_dragon_test.jpg
red_dragon_test.jpg (20.4 KiB) Viewed 5953 times
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I do like it, but I would make the crest a bit darker then the color on his stomach, or a differently one entirely, as right now my eye wants to believe that the two are the same thing.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Post by Cernunnos »

Hi again,

at the moment, i find the first quite better, but if you want to go for a crest, may i suggest something using more spikes?
If i'm not clear, i think the "thing" on its back looks like this :
http://www.dinosoria.com/dinosaures/spinosaurus.jpg
Maybe it wouldn't be too confortable to fly, as it would take the wind...

Maybe something more like that:
http://leblogdenoemie.files.wordpress.c ... dragon.jpg
Which to me seems more practical to fly and also more nice...

But well, this is your work so do as you want, and you should consider the above, only if you find it relevant of course, but moreover only if you really think something's not fine with the first version, or if you want a second one... (since the first seems really fine imo)

This said, nice work on the left wing, and at last i'm sorry but i must disagree with Turuk :
as right now my eye wants to believe that the two are the same thing
sorry but you're totally wrong, the second one has a beard :lol2:

Really great work, see ya!

[
edit: watching it again and again, i think it's also real fine this way, maybe it makes more feel like a horse... which is not frequent among the visions we may have of drakes, but which is fine too...
like http://imagesforum.doctissimo.fr/mesima ... ncours.jpg
]
Last edited by Cernunnos on January 23rd, 2009, 11:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"While portrait art may be where Wesnoth gets its glamour, and sprite art may be where Wesnoth gets its zest, it's the terrain art that's so crucial to Wesnoth's polish - it's the canvas that the rest goes on." Sangel
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Cernunnos wrote:This said, nice work on the left wing, and at last i'm sorry but i must disagree with Turuk :
Ha! I was referring to the crest on his back just like you were, so nice try. :P

I do like the beard as well, it adds a bit of needed detail to the head.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

We may repixel this slightly to fit with the scheme of being "pure pixel art", but please please do finish the animations for this, because they're a wonderful guide to anyone doing that. This would be a wonderful addition to the game if you were to finish it.

As for the size, I'd like to see a mockup of a halfways between the "huge" one, and the 90x90 one, just for my own curiosity. This is the one exception to the rule of "keeping sizes down", and I'd like to see how big we can feasibly make it.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Rocket Slug

Post by Rocket Slug »

Jetryl wrote:As for the size, I'd like to see a mockup of a halfways between the "huge" one, and the 90x90 one, just for my own curiosity. This is the one exception to the rule of "keeping sizes down", and I'd like to see how big we can feasibly make it.
I don't think you have to worry about that, Jetryl. This goes way beyond creeping biggerism :lol2:

Anyway, I'm loving that dragon. You look like you have a real knack for them. Perhaps you can help out Eternal with his Fire Dragon problem after you're done with this? Or perhaps this little beauty can eventually levell up to one?
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Very nice fluid animation.

The 90x90 looks about right to me.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
pixelmind
Art Contributor

Post by pixelmind »

That crest was a bad idea. Just doesn't fit to this type of dragon, imo.
Jetryl wrote: As for the size, I'd like to see a mockup of a halfways between the "huge" one, and the 90x90 one, just for my own curiosity. This is the one exception to the rule of "keeping sizes down", and I'd like to see how big we can feasibly make it.

Seems like the dragon in the left upper corner interferes with the surrounding tiles.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Are you using 1.4? I AFAIK in 1.5 this won't happen anymore, though it would be nice if s.o. could confirm that.
btw, I'm a fan of the very big one, he is a mighty level 5
~ I'll heal you by 4 hp if you post next to me ~
Have a look at the Era of Strife, featuring Eltireans, Eventide, Minotaurs, Saurians and Triththa
pixelmind
Art Contributor

Post by pixelmind »

I'm using 1.5.7 right now
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

pixelmind wrote:Seems like the dragon in the left upper corner interferes with the surrounding tiles.

it's not supposed to, but you are the first to try a "really bigger than hex" unit, so you will probably uncover a few bugs, especially in caves where terrain layering is particularly tricky

note that with 1.5.x, you can "cheat" with the positionning of the unit within the hex using the y= parameter of animations.

by lowering the dragin a few pixel into his hex, the hexes above might look a bit less crowded
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Hmm, I still love the biggest one the most. It just looks most like a dragon in my opinion. Anyway, I'm also making a huge unit (for Mystic era), but there's one problem; In 1.4.x, there can't be multihex units. Why is that, btw? I mean, it seems to work properly in 1.5.x. so why not add it in 1.4.x? Just askin, because then this dragon could also be in 1.4.x, right?
Check out my sprites!
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

I had to rewrite ~60% of the animation engine to support the multi-hex

porting it is not trivial, and the level of testing it had in 1.5 is way too low to consider it validated in 1.4

if you want to test, port your campaign to 1.5

you'll have to do it eventually anyway