.png Render Library

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

scienceguy8

.png Render Library

Post by scienceguy8 »

So, I proposed an idea recently, and while people do think it is a great idea, it is also currently an extremely large amount of work. I was told that if I wanted any hope of getting my idea into Wesnoth, I would first need to work toward implementing the idea myself. Now, I'm not complaining here. I have told people in the Ideas board this same thing myself. I decided it was time to follow what I had been preaching. A quick look at the Wesnoth source code, however, showed me that I am in way over my head. I understand the code structure, but there are so many commands and user made commands and libraries in the form of .h files that I can't make heads or tails of it. I highly doubt that I can integrate my idea into the game given my relatively little knowledge of C++, but I do think I could pull off a proof-of-concept program completely separate from the Wesnoth engine. From there, I could start to work on other design elements and modifications required for the idea to work.

For this prototype, I need a GPLed C++ library for displaying .png images with transparency. Are there any such libraries you have worked with that you liked? Where would I go to find such a library? Is there some sort of repository of GPLed C++ libraries that I could search?

The original idea can be found here.
"You can't kill an unarmed, upside down man!"
Dr. Rodney McKay
Stargate Atlantis
Runner

Gilberti Industries
scienceguy8
Proud Member of the Marching Salukis
grzywacz
Inactive Developer

Re: .png Render Library

Post by grzywacz »

Take a look at SDL and SDL_image. This should suffice.
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: .png Render Library

Post by Iris »

There's a repository: Google.

No seriously, SDL_image is a C library but it works perfectly fine with C++ (the language is designed with C interoperability in mind at a certain limit). It is what Wesnoth uses, to be exact. :|

Of course you need the SDL facilities to use SDL_image. All the documentation you might ever need may be found at http://www.libsdl.org (SDL) and http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_image/ (SDL_image).
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.