Wesnoth 1.4.7

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Wesnoth 1.4.7

Post by ivanovic »

Wesnoth 1.4.7 is out!

This is a bugfix release for the 1.4.x series and it is compatible with the other 1.4.x versions.

1.4.7 fixes several smaller bugs, provides some smaller and many bigger updates to many translations and ships several updated graphics (not listed in the changelog). The most important change is that it should now be possible to create replays of scenarios in singleplayer campaigns (at least most times, sometimes it is still not possible). Old replays do not work, but newly created ones should be fine more often than not.

Of course there is also the full changelog listing (almost) all the changes since 1.4.6. A changelog with changes that might be visible to most users (and only includes these) is the players changelog.

Downloads
Sources:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... 2?download (147.9 MB) md5sum
Here is the xDelta for the sources:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... a?download (1.4.6 to 1.4.7, 0.8 MB)
Check http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7034 for info on using xdelta.

The Windows binary is already available. You can find it on the download page.

The MacOSX binary is already available. You can find it on the download page.

The OpenSolaris binary is not available yet. Once it is you can find it on the download page.

The Debian and Gentoo packages are already created, all known packagers have been contacted. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to get them work you get on the Linux binaries site for the Linux binaries. Download links for the other supported systems will be listed at the downloads page once the binaries are available.

As a fallback you can also get the sources from http://files.wesnoth.org/ - you should first try to get files through SourceForge to help us save bandwidth.

The multiplayer server for 1.4.7 is already up and running. This server can be used to play with all 1.4.x releases. If you do encounter problems, please report them.

By now the add-on server already offers much content that should be completely compatible with all 1.4.x releases. If you encounter any problems with content from the add-on server not working as expected, please notify the content's author, most of them should be here in the forums.

If you find any bugs don't hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to post bugs first. Instructions for bug reporting can be found at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/ReportingBugs.

Enjoy!

PS: Within the next seven days anyone asking when the binary for xyz will be ready will be banned and the post will be deleted. Such questions just distract the developers and packagers and don't do any good, so better not ask them...
Bugreports in the forums tend to get forgotten. You will get better results by following the guidelines and report them in the bugtracker.
Viliam
Translator

Re: Wesnoth 1.4.7

Post by Viliam »

ivanovic wrote:The Windows binary is already available. You can find it on the download page.

The MacOSX binary is already available. You can find it on the download page.

PS: Within the next seven days anyone asking when the binary for xyz will be ready will be banned and the post will be deleted.
I guess not many people will get banned today. :lol2:

Thanks for the well-timed release with binaries ready. Today was my last computer club before holidays. I installed the new version on 10 computers, and most students liked the game. Yeah, today they only played (I said it was a Xmas present), but in 2009 we will move to developing some content. :wink:

Note for Windows binaries maintainers: I know that most of Windows users have administrator (or at least "power user") rights. :( But if you don't, and you have to ask your admin to install Wesnoth, when you run it under your account, it freezes after you start a scenario. This is because you do not have right to create a "userdata" directory. But it takes some time and knowledge to find this out. I am not sure about an ideal solution, but perhaps there could be one screen in installation wizard just to describe this problem. Perhaps also a checkbox for creating a "userdata" directory and setting the read+write access for "Everyone" - this solves the problem, though it might be considered a security risk, so the checkbox should be turned off by default.
loonycyborg
Windows Packager

Post by loonycyborg »

Viliam wrote: Note for Windows binaries maintainers: I know that most of Windows users have administrator (or at least "power user") rights. :( But if you don't, and you have to ask your admin to install Wesnoth, when you run it under your account, it freezes after you start a scenario. This is because you do not have right to create a "userdata" directory. But it takes some time and knowledge to find this out. I am not sure about an ideal solution, but perhaps there could be one screen in installation wizard just to describe this problem. Perhaps also a checkbox for creating a "userdata" directory and setting the read+write access for "Everyone" - this solves the problem, though it might be considered a security risk, so the checkbox should be turned off by default.
I'm going to make it store userdata in My Documents(by adding a command-line flag to shortcut created by the installer) in next 1.5 release. This should fix this issue. (Hopefully this won't introduce other issues)
"meh." - zookeeper
JW

Post by JW »

It said the data was broken for me or something when I tried to dl. Sry, I will be more specific when I try it again later.
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

To whom it may concern:
The announcement at Linux Game Tome links to changelog of version 1.4.5.
LoneIgadzra

Post by LoneIgadzra »

The Mac download is broken (none of the sourceforge mirrors seem to work).
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

LoneIgadzra wrote:The Mac download is broken (none of the sourceforge mirrors seem to work).
Works for me...
idbill

Post by idbill »

Something is wrong with the .dmg on superb-east.dl.sourceforge.net

I downloaded it 3 times, and the download was unusable.
With another mirror, the download worked fine....

----Info below----
Resolving superb-east.dl.sourceforge.net... done.
Connecting to superb-east.dl.sourceforge.net[209.160.66.130]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 170,759,100 [application/x-apple-diskimage]

100%[====================================>] 170,759,100 562.90K/s ETA 00:00

17:44:21 (562.90 KB/s) - `Wesnoth_1.4.7.dmg' saved [170759100/170759100]
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

I just downloaded from superb-east and a German one, and they had the same md5 sum. I bet what the problem is, is you're downloading with something (Safari?) that thinks it's done when it gets disconnected, rather than thinking "well I didn't get to the Content-Length, so there must be more - better resume". And superb-east disconnects you before it's done, while the others don't.

That's my guess anyway...

EDIT: Uhhh, on second thought, I guess that's not the case, after looking at your post again. I don't know what it is then, if they have the same md5.
Kess

Post by Kess »

Maybe this thread can be destickified as well?

1.4 has served its purpose, and while it may live on for some time, it’s now time to turn our eyes to the lovely bright future of 1.6 (and 1.7). Happy gameplay and development! :mrgreen:

EDIT: Thank you! :D (And I meant: de-announce...)