RuneScape

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

cool evil

Re: RuneScape

Post by cool evil »

I find that MMORPG's have no real intrinsic value other than farming for gold and showing off beyond reaching a certain level in the game. Since real-world trading is nearly impossible in runescape, the only thing you could get out of it is to perhaps play in the role of an economist and buying so called "stocks" in runescape. It's quite simple really, just have some money to start with, say a few hundred grand, and invest in items, which is the same as a stock since there are millions of them and everyone can own a share(copy) of it as long as they have the sufficient funds. There is an online section of the game called the grand exchange database, which is similar to a real world stock market. Basically what it does is that it lists all the tradable items in runescape, all of their values, along with price charts that's updated daily.

You can buy low and sell high, though that alone rarely works because there are millions of other hopefuls just you like stuck mindlessly trying to gain some cheap profit off merchanting. Expensive items such as armor and high level weapons are not fit to be invested since there are less of them and usually you are not able to buy beyond a small bulk.

Careful thinking is required when you buy stocks, as values can drop as high as 5% in a single day. There are certain features such as a price range implemented to prevent sudden drop or spike in prices, reducing the risks of inflation and deflation to only gradual amounts. A good stockperson will careful examine factors in which it can lead to price changes before buying, such as a update in the game that will create huge demands for a particular stock, or one that will provide more supply of stocks relative to the ones that are bought daily.
Have no fear, Vlad is here!
Peter the Great

Post by Peter the Great »

You just opened a new aspect of runescape for me :lol2:
BTW: It's room escape too. "Have you escaped the room yet?" :D
Latin:LVDVMAMISI (pronounced Loo-dum amee-C)
French: J'ai perdu le jeu.
English: I lost the game.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Yeah, if you mispronounce the 'n' ;)

If I want to do stocks I'll go do a little stock market game with Google finance--Saves me from having to watch a badly rendered guy spazzing over his anvil.
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

Meh, I got into this game for awhile. I really regret it thou. I wasted so many years of my life on this game. Personally, I think the game is okay. (For first time players. But after awhile... It becomes pointless/silly to continue...) I think the improvements where nice. I was bored as hell from this game but yet; I have an addicting personality and I also seem to go back to it once in awhile... Even my total lvl is 1600+... Sad isn't it? Let me post how sad it is... (This is my main character stats... :? )
Skills Rank Level XP

Overall 149,751 1,613 37,057,865
Attack 333,597 78 1,656,544
Defence 242,072 78 1,656,549
Strength 504,247 78 1,681,687
Hitpoints 368,188 80 2,012,817
Ranged 816,844 63 389,773
Prayer 302,767 58 231,059
Magic 66,139 90 5,585,584
Cooking 241,056 78 1,677,789
Woodcutting 164,268 83 2,878,635
Fletching 207,707 82 2,482,193
Fishing 260,019 75 1,217,861
Firemaking 116,647 75 1,255,747
Crafting 95,460 70 768,954
Smithing 6,002 89 5,165,875
Mining 4,075 92 7,009,353
Herblore 205,507 53 140,598
Agility 352,770 55 170,675
Thieving 149,588 61 311,674
Slayer 528,741 44 58,301
Farming 269,897 43 51,074
Runecraft 58,187 66 514,141
Hunter 454,267 42 46,033
Construction 296,114 47 75,405
Summoning 271,670 33 19,544
My goal was just to get 90 Magic/Smith and 92 Mining then quit RS forever... (Never got the Smithing Level thou...) With the loss of the unlimited trade; everything went to hell in that game. Personally; I liked the game without the trade limit...But; whatever... I also agree... People on that game are all jerks... (Or mostly noobs that kept asking for free stuff...) Anyway...

Like "37,057,865" Total XP is going to help me in the real world? :lol2: :?

Off Topic: I also play FFR... (Flash Flash Revolution) Even more pointless really... (It's like the easiest game ever... Well, some exceptions on some songs... The "Guru" Difficulties are just [censored] sometimes... Like "Death Piano"...) But w/e... There are some people that have no life/do drugs/something; apparently that can actually AAA that song (All perfects; no misses/boos/etc. with a full combo.) and other "Guru" songs... (Which is beyond my abilities... And I am even a decent player... As you can see from here...) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf_OZJd15NQ Just playing a "Masters Only" song.
"You don't have to understand me, I'm just there!" ~ SpoOkyMagician
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Oh yeah, FFR--I saw some guy playing Cirno's Perfect Math Class in that.
Though, I'm not sure if it's really more pointless than RunEscape. I mean, if you play it enough, it will give you some hardcore eye-hand coordination and carpal tunnel. RunEscape will only give you the latter ;)
LemonTea

Post by LemonTea »

I played RuneScape for a whooping half-hour before I quit. I regret that half-hour now. :wink:
JW's Wesnoth personality quiz wrote:You are a Skeleton: a lifeless animation of bone controlled by a necromancer. See a therapist.
:augh:
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

Skizzaltix wrote:Oh yeah, FFR--I saw some guy playing Cirno's Perfect Math Class in that.
Though, I'm not sure if it's really more pointless than RunEscape. I mean, if you play it enough, it will give you some hardcore eye-hand coordination and carpal tunnel. RunEscape will only give you the latter ;)
True. Maybe the quick hand-eye coordination could make me catch something someday that someone never couldn't normally... However, I would fail because of carpal tunnel. :lol2: :P

Btw; thats stepmania. But close enough. :geek: Although; that's a kewl song. I should get that simfile. :mrgreen:

*Starts playing Stepmania*
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Woops... They look exactly the same to me ;)
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

I read this review somewhere about runescape once, it addressed many of the design flaws that makes it boring and also maliciously addictive from a gamer's perspective. What it does say though, is that runescape helps you get to know the basic concepts of working. That's right, "WORKING", not "PLAYING". Throughout the game, you farm for gold and level up so you can feel good about yourself, either by boosting your ego or showing off. It really saddens me to see Jagex taking advantage of millions of people who are willing to waste time and money on something that's so obviously decadent.

Good thing i quit the game now, been almost 4 years since i first played, feels amazing that i could concentrate on school and have way more time for working out.
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

I feel better... Just dropped all my stuff in a drop party... It may make more people want to play it that much more; but whatever... I invited my friends just so they could get most of it. My one friend got like 60% of it. Anyhow; I feel like a big weight was just lifted off me. Although, I kept my ghostly because it looked cool for my character. Even thou I won't ever use/play with my character again. :?
(User Page)
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Hm... This thread is beginning to resemble an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting ;)
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

Yes, indeed. While we're here let's start a facebook group about this :lol2:
mnewton1

Post by mnewton1 »

I played for about 3 monthes then quit for about a year because of bordom then shared my account with a friend who got it up to lvl 76 with 600k gold

I still don't play
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
LemonTea

Post by LemonTea »

1 dmg... 1 dmg... 1 dmg... 1 dmg... 1 dmg...

Eat food, restore 200

Eat food, restore 200

... (19 hours later)...

*almost at 0 HP with no food left... TELEPORT!!!11

Sounds fun :wink:
JW's Wesnoth personality quiz wrote:You are a Skeleton: a lifeless animation of bone controlled by a necromancer. See a therapist.
:augh:
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Wow! Who'd want to play a thrilling stealth-shooter when you could have excitement like that with lagging included for free?!