Lost Friendship, a small 2p map

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ghanji

Lost Friendship, a small 2p map

Post by Ghanji »

Hello Forum,
This is a very small map with 22x10 tiles.
It is optimized for a 16:10 widescreen resolution, so there is no need to scroll around :)
Work is still in progress, but as I already got some encouraging feedback and as I was asked to publish it on the forum, so here it is.

-> download map ;)

I would appreciate any suggestions,
regards,
Ghanji

edited due to follow-up post, thanks for the hint, but unfortunately the map isn´t displayed correctly at all?!
Last edited by Ghanji on November 7th, 2008, 11:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Just copy and paste the code from the text file of the map within [map] [ /map] tags (without the space between the [ and the /). Works better than screenshots.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Hehe. That was me that found you on the server and complimented the artistry. Nice to see you making your debut here. :)

The balance has a ways to go, and I'll try to help with that in a little bit.

The artistry is really, really nice though- I can't think of the last time that I've seen a map-maker take such great interest in in detail and aesthetic, much less execute it as you have.

Your use of terrain aliases is wonderful- It shows that you are thinking about the character of each individual region on the map.

So yes, compliments galore. 8)

In a few hours, I'll be back and we can delve into the balancing issues.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Ghanji

Post by Ghanji »

Thanks fot he feedback,
I already altered the map slightly, your hints hn mind, like the version above, 2 villages were kicked near the centerline of the map ;)
Studying AI battles on the map proved what you said, the slight advantage for player 1, beacuse he has the first move. I added a deep water in front of the p1 water village which at leats gives more balancing for non-flying creatures.
That´s a little bit tricky to solve on such a small map, if you would like to, we could check improvements together,
regards,
Ghanji
(also ingame nick)
Ghanji

Re: Lost Friendship, a small 2p map

Post by Ghanji »

Hello,
the map has really come a long way, tweaking it now for over a year... :eng:
I´ve played it a lot of times with a friend of mine, and we think it´s not too bad.
If you like to give it a try, the download link and pic in the first post are updated.
Any feedback is welcome,
Ghanji
Des

Post by Des »

Interesting map. Doc is right, it looks very nice.

I've been working on my own map, but decided to hold off on the finishing touches until it's finally balanced.

Here's the forum post for it: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22215

I'll have to give yours a try. though. If you want, we can play-test your changes. When are you usually on?
Redrock Gulch (Winter 2009 Map Contest Submission)

To rely on rustics and not prepare is the greatest of crimes; to be prepared beforehand for any contingency is the greatest of Virtues. - Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

A few things to add:

1. I can't imagine Undead ever beating Drakes here. Some of this has to do with the ease the Drakes will have retreating and advancing over the watery areas. The small size also makes it so that Undead will probably get squeezed against the back wall and have nowhere to run during the day. Not sure what you can do about that if you want to keep these dimensions (and be able to see the whole thing on your screen, without scrolling). Adding some more mushroom might help a little bit, but it might be tricky to make it work with the nice aesthetic you have going on right now.

2. Does also still seem like it'd be stalematish. The locations of the mountains and the chokepoints could certainly make for some slow and defensive games.

3. Putting mountains adjacent to villages is a bad idea 99% of the time, and this setup does not facilitate an exception.

4. P2's south village will be stolen by P1 just about every time. P2's water village will also, sometimes, be an issue. Certain factions will only be able to avoid a theft of that village by sending a scout into the water on their first move. Could be kind of nasty if, for example, that unit was met by a P1 Horseman.

It's going to be very difficult to overcome most of these balancing issues and still have the map be playable, given the very small size. I do continue to like the aesthetic a lot, and I'm sure that at the very least, you can improve the balance and dynamic considerably. Best of luck.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
cobra

Re:

Post by cobra »

Doc Paterson wrote:Hehe. That was me that found you on the server and complimented the artistry.
:shock: You play on the server?

By the way very nice map. What are the recommended settings going to be?

compliments
cobra
Thank you President Bush
Ask not what wesnoth can do for you, but what you can do for wesnoth.-cobra
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Re: Re:

Post by F8 Binds... »

cobra wrote: :shock: You play on the server?
Although perhaps contrary to popular belief [1], he does. :wink:

[1] = You, and the majority of the minority. :P
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
Ghanji

Post by Ghanji »

Hallo doc,
thanks for your constructive feedback,
it will take some time to make changes and test them,
so far,
Ghanji
MRhe

Post by MRhe »

Hi, I think this map looks great. Could someone help me with using it? I downloaded it but I'm not sure where it goes for MP use...thanks!
Ghanji

Post by Ghanji »

just put the .cfg file in your
wesnoth/data/multiplayer/scenarios/
folder, regards...
MRhe

Post by MRhe »

Thank you for the help Ghanji! I just played your map vs. AI. Fun, quick little map and it looks cool. Now I will try to find some human opponents online :)
Ghanji

Post by Ghanji »

I just changed some things according to Doc Paterson´s suggestions...

DP: 1. I can't imagine Undead ever beating Drakes here. [...]
- I got the point, anyway, not easy to solve this...

2. Does also still seem like it'd be stalematish. The locations of the mountains and the chokepoints could certainly make for some slow and defensive games.
- Opened it up a bit, e.g. removed some mountains. Gameplay definately benefits from it.

3. Putting mountains adjacent to villages is a bad idea 99% of the time, and this setup does not facilitate an exception.
- Changed it to all affected villages, besides the one at the border of the map, which comes rarely into play.

4. P2's south village will be stolen by P1 just about every time. P2's water village will also, sometimes, be an issue. Certain factions will only be able to avoid a theft of that village by sending a scout into the water on their first move. Could be kind of nasty if, for example, that unit was met by a P1 Horseman.
- P2 south village is now 13 tiles away from P1´s closest castle tile. Would take a P1 unit even with movement of 6 now at least 3 turns to rech it. Ingame P1 usually runs into fresh recruitments when trying to do so...

@MRhe: feedback is welcome ;)

I keep on tweaking, thanks so far :)