New Computer

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Hulavuta

New Computer

Post by Hulavuta »

YEAH! NEW COMPUTER IS FREACKING HERE BABAY!!!!

Alright, now I have to reinstall wesnoth and re-customize it....crap stains
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
cool evil

Re: New Computer

Post by cool evil »

Congratulations on your new computer, but if you are wary of downloading a 100mb+ file and installing it all over again, simply copy and paste your current wesnoth folder into your new computer (if that doesn't work, try doing it on a portable USB drive)
Have no fear, Vlad is here!
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Heck, thats an awesome idea.

Exactly how? After I copy my folder, then what? How do I put it in the system files of the new comp?
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

Well, i guess you could just simply copy and paste the entire wesnoth folder to anywhere on your new computer's hard drive. People have been playing wesnoth on a USB drive for quite some time now and that's because it doesn't require installing registry keys in order for it to run.

Remember, you don't have to put it in your program files folder if you don't want to. Before copying the folder to its new location, make sure that you have all the files intact in the folder, as well as the wesnoth.exe file inside to launch the game window.
Have no fear, Vlad is here!
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Yep, no registry, no system DLL's, wesnoth runs out of the box :) . The only thing you might want to add for comfort are the entries of the program menu (or desktop links or whatever).
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Wait, so i can just pull and drag the Wesnoth folder from the start menu onto my USB, and the drag it off my usb to the other computer, and I will be able to play it?
~Sierra
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Hulavuta wrote:Wait, so i can just pull and drag the Wesnoth folder from the start menu onto my USB, and the drag it off my usb to the other computer, and I will be able to play it?
Not quite. You have to copy the folder where Wesnoth is actually installed, if you are on Windows this is probably something like C:\Programs\Wesnoth. On your new computer you can simply open the exe file in this folder (probably wesnoth.exe or something like that).
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

oh, gotcha, i remember that.

Thats the location I go to to hack my units data lol.

By the way, I tried installing it onto my USB drive, didn't work. The game went horribly slow
~Sierra