Wesnoth 1.5.6

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Wesnoth 1.5.6

Post by ivanovic »

Wesnoth 1.5.6 is out!

This is another release of the 1.5.x development branch. That means it may include a bigger amount of bugs than the 1.4.x branch and each version is not compatible with another one from the 1.4.x and 1.5.x branch since we do change quite a lot between the releases. Keep in mind, it might be a lot more buggy than the 1.4.x branch so don't be disappointed if you get a crash every now and then. If you want to test the future of Wesnoth, you are free to check 1.5.6. It would be great if you reported any bug you find while playing 1.5.6 so that we have a chance to fix them before 1.6 is released.

The last release was some ages ago so thousands of changes were implemented. The most important one is probably the AI should be as smart again as it used to be. Beside this a new campaign, 'Legend of Wesmere' was added to mainline. There you can experience the history of Kalenz and face many dangers with the elvish troops. Another important note is that 'Under the Burning Suns' got a thorough cleanup including virtually hundreds of fixes finally making it enjoyable again.

Now is also the perfect time for translators to start working on the translations so that they can be complete in 1.6. The status of all the textdomains is listed on this wiki page. If you want to help translating Wesnoth into your language of choice, have a look at this page and contact the translations maintainer. The maintainer will tell you how you can help best.

Some other important things to mention:
The excessive AI cautiousness that afflicted the 1.5.5 release has been fixed.
Legend of Wesmere has been added to mainline.
There is a new tool for visually editing the journey tracks that appear on the story maps of many Wesnoth campaigns. It is called 'trackplacer', and you can read about it here: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Authoring_tools
Many blocker bugs (yet not officially reported, *tsk*) related to the "update add-ons" dialog functionality have been fixed.
The music namespace has been reorganized a bit. UMC authors should know of the following name changes
  • main_menu.ogg -> transience.ogg
  • main_menu_new.ogg -> main_menu.ogg
  • nr-sad.ogg -> sad.ogg
We don't try to handle the first two automatically in wmllint, as it's not perfectly clear whether UMC authors want the track or the role when they name "main_menu.ogg".
If you play campaigns utilizing the new gold carryover system (DiD, HttT, SoF, SotBE or TSG), you won't want to use the beginning-of-scenario saves because due to a bug, the carryover gold is not stored properly in them (so if you load from a beginning-of-scenario save, you'll end up with less gold than you should). Instead you should for example make manual turn 1 saves of each scenario and load those if you need to.

Of course there is also the full changelog listing (almost) all the changes since 1.5.5. A changelog with changes that might be visible to most users (and only includes these) is the players changelog.

Downloads
Sources:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... 2?download (180.7 MB) md5sum
Here is the xDelta for the sources:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... a?download (1.5.5 to 1.5.6, 58.2 MB)
Check http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7034 for info on using xdelta.

The Windows binary is available on the download page.

The MacOSX binary is available on the download page.

The OpenSolaris binary is not available yet. Once it is, you can find it on the download page.

All known packagers have been contacted. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to get them work you get on the Linux binaries site for the Linux binaries. Download links for the other supported systems will be listed at the downloads page once the binaries are available.

As a fallback you can also get the sources from http://files.wesnoth.org/ - you should first try to get files through SourceForge to help us save bandwidth. Please get the files from sourceforge.net if possible.

The multiplayer server for 1.5.6 is already up and running. This server can only be used to play with 1.5.6. If you do encounter problems, please report them.

If you find any bugs don't hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to post bugs first. Instructions for bug reporting can be found at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/ReportingBugs.

Enjoy!

PS: Within the next seven days anyone asking when the binary for xyz will be ready will be banned and the post will be deleted. Such questions just distract the developers and packagers and don't do any good, so better not ask them...
Bugreports in the forums tend to get forgotten. You will get better results by following the guidelines and report them in the bugtracker.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Re: Wesnoth 1.5.6

Post by ivanovic »

A short note for those experiencing problems when building with scons or cmake:

One file has not found its way into the tarball:
po/wesnoth-low/racv.po
You can just copy po/wesnoth-low/wesnoth-low.pot to this location or download the file from here:
po/wesnoth-low/racv.po

This should fix the issues you are experiencing.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

When I run configure, it quits with this error message:

Code: Select all

checking for SDL - version >= 1.2.7 and SDL_ttf - version >= 2.0.8... no
but that's not true:

# sdl-config --version
Edit: Nevermind. I finally found the problem. My SDL_ttf-devel package was older than my SDL_ttf package.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

I am encountering a host of assertion failure crashes on 1.5.6. Are these to be expected at this stage, or should I be keeping track of each circumstance and report them?
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

:D Mac Packages!

Yayz!
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

Urs wrote::D Mac Packages!

Yayz!
Yay, it actually works! :D I was pretty paranoid that somehow I forgot something.

By the way, Mac menu commands should work now. Also, I added some menu options at the last minute, for the changelog, license, and website. :)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Kurt wrote:I am encountering a host of assertion failure crashes on 1.5.6. Are these to be expected at this stage, or should I be keeping track of each circumstance and report them?
What do you think?

Report them! :cry:
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

What do I do when there is a crash that gives no stderr.txt readout?
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

penguin wrote:Yay, it actually works! :D I was pretty paranoid that somehow I forgot something.

By the way, Mac menu commands should work now. Also, I added some menu options at the last minute, for the changelog, license, and website. :)
You did the Mac package? Thanks! Like many non-techie Mac users, I was a little worried for a while there.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
energyman76c

Post by energyman76c »

about bug reporting, is there a 'known issues' file somewhere?
and what about missing/wrong idle animation (like transgender lvl3&4 mages) - report that too?
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

All open bugs are visible through the bugs.wesnoth.org page, missing animations are not bugs but simply stuff on the todo list. Wrong gender animations are bugs of course.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
msu_dean

Post by msu_dean »

The excessive AI cautiousness that afflicted the 1.5.5 release has been fixed.
Thank God. I was going to mention something about it here as something that needed to be fixed. I am glad it already was mentioned.
------------

Dean is lost in code. Please leave a message and he will be sure to file it with the rest of the requests in dev/null
Guidrion

Post by Guidrion »

I noticed a really strange issue in the download page.
Two days ago, there has been a small bug on this page which wasn't accessible anymore. It was fixed yesterday but now, there has been some kind of time travel: I can only download 1.5.2/previous and 1.4.2/previous.
This page was last modified 18:55, 25 July 2008.
"There is no difference between good or bad but thinking makes it so"
William Shakespeare.
Allasar

Post by Allasar »

beetlenaut wrote:When I run configure, it quits with this error message:

checking for SDL - version >= 1.2.7 and SDL_ttf - version >= 2.0.8... no
but that's not true:

# sdl-config --version
Edit: Nevermind. I finally found the problem. My SDL_ttf-devel package was older than my SDL_ttf package.

Hi everyone!

Got the same problem on my Ubuntu 8.10.

sudo apt-get install libsdl-ttf2.0-dev 
Doesn't work with the traditional libsdl-ttf2.0-0
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

In case anyone else has this problem:

I upgraded openSUSE to version 11.1, and BfW 1.5.6 would no longer compile.

This is where it stopped:

cc1plus: warnings being treated as errors
ai_python.cpp:274: error: missing initializer for member ‘_typeobject::tp_version_tag’
ai_python.cpp: In static member function ‘static void python_ai::initialize_python()’:
ai_python.cpp:2078: error: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
I managed to get it to compile (and it seems to be working) by deleting the -Werror option from the main Makefile and src/Makefile.

Edit: The next post explains how you are actually supposed to do this.
Last edited by beetlenaut on December 30th, 2008, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide