Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Quietus
Art Contributor

Re: Minotaur Artwork Revised

Post by Quietus »

hello fine wesnothians, Just thought i woudl show you where I am with the completing this faction. Currently there are three more units to be made. And below is the WIP version of the Ancient Behemoth. Its clearly unfinnished and a lot more work is to be done before it is finnished. Proper shading needs to be added, more detail and the face reworked.
Attachments
ancient-behemoth.png
ancient-behemoth.png (3.74 KiB) Viewed 5205 times
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Quietus, as a non-art contributor, feel free to take my thoughts with a grain of salt, or discard entirely.

For the ancient behemoth though, would it not be more muscular and just large and powerful given that the behemoths are viewed as frenzied berserk minotaurs? Sort of how the sprite for it is currently. But if you are taking it in a different direction well then mum's the word from me.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Turuk wrote:Quietus, as a non-art contributor, feel free to take my thoughts with a grain of salt, or discard entirely.

For the ancient behemoth though, would it not be more muscular and just large and powerful given that the behemoths are viewed as frenzied berserk minotaurs? Sort of how the sprite for it is currently. But if you are taking it in a different direction well then mum's the word from me.
Well the Behemoth isnt a minotaur. It was a creature they found in the mountains, and enslaved. :hmm: Like i said it is a WIP, but if making it look a little more like minotaur would be better, i can move more towards that
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Really? Ah, well then the description for those units should probably be changed, it currently has them as below. While the Ancient Behemoth does not mention that it is a minotaur, the Behemoth is referred to as one, so I just made that jump in logic... :P

If they are not supposed to be minotaurs, then by all means, disregard what I said.
Attachments
Picture 1.png
Picture 2.png
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Ok editing my last post completly. According to Espreon the behemoths are minotaurs :oops: lol. Im thinking or returning to my old idea which was to place a minotaur shaped helmet on the ancient behemoth, much like the gladiators did. Update should be done by tommorow
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Oh Quietus, there is a problem with the Gore sprite as one or more pixels which are supposed to be TC'd are not TC'd. Here is a TC'd Gore sprite to help you rectify the problem.
Attachments
gore-TC-2.png
gore-TC-2.png (3.54 KiB) Viewed 5089 times
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Quietus wrote:Ok editing my last post completly. According to Espreon the behemoths are minotaurs :oops: lol. Im thinking or returning to my old idea which was to place a minotaur shaped helmet on the ancient behemoth, much like the gladiators did. Update should be done by tommorow
Sounds like a good idea to me, it certainly fits with the violent nature of the faction. Not to mention, makes for a great item to be TC'd.
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Espreon wrote:Oh Quietus, there is a problem with the Gore sprite as one or more pixels which are supposed to be TC'd are not TC'd. Here is a TC'd Gore sprite to help you rectify the problem.
Ah thats actually the pommel of the axe (bit at the end of the hilt). Its coloured red, so is easy to miss if viewing the image in magenta. If this is a problem i could change it brown or something
ael193

Post by ael193 »

I liked the old behemoths better, this one really doesn't look all that powerful, just sort of pudgy. Its still good quality though, as is all your art.
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

I also liked the earlier Behemoths. That just looks like... it would be fat. :lol2:
Check out my sprites!
Elerium

Post by Elerium »

Just a little critique.. personally I'd say the Ancient Behemoth should be something to be feared.. a gigantic monstrous creature of death with tons of HP, kind of like the ones from Heroes of Might and Magic and Master of Magic (the Behemoth was one of the most powerfullest creatures in both games). I always imagined the Behemoths to be massive walking things of death, eating entire villages and garrisons after waking up from their 30 year slumber before rampaging their way back into their cave trampling through any undead horde or whatever before sleeping once again for another 30 years :P.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

I think the main issue is lack of muscle definition, without it he just looks blobby, with it he may look like the monster he's supposed to be. Of course, drawing muscles on a sprite isn't an easy task, and taking it too far may make him look like a bodybuilder. :hmm: