Choose what scenario to play in Campaign Menu

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Mano

Re: Choose what scenario to play in Campaign Menu

Post by Mano »

First of all thanks for the positive replyes, I wasn't excepting so much agreement with a noob ideia :)

Second, just to have a more exaclty ideia waht I'm talking about, I draw a example for the Campaign "The South Guard" wich already have maps in the scenarios presentation. When you selected this Campaing, it should appear a map with the scenarios that you already completed, and the next avaliable scenario, so for example if you had completed 3 scenarios, it look like the anexed image.

vicza wrote:
ADmiral-N wrote:You can enjoy the story again without having to beat all the early scens,
Story? Will there any story remain, if you can open scenarios in an arbitrary order.
You can only play scenarios that you have already completed and the "present" scenario needed to advance. You will only have all scenarios available when you finish the campaign.

About the data used for gold and recalled units, we have 2 options:
1. Use default gold and recall units for each scenario.
2. The Campaign will save the data from the scenarios, much like the saved games, but in a directory where the user can't delete it. So, even if a user deleted all the saved games, it would still have the scenarios already made and the recalled units for each scenario.

Greetings,
Adriano Simões.
Attachments
map.png
F50

Post by F50 »

turin wrote:All you would really need to do is, when someone goes to the campaign screen and selects a campaign to play, it presents them with an option, before selecting difficulty level, of, "Start a new game or load save?", and if they select load save it goes to the loading menu with the campaign acronym being searched for. If you only want beginning-of-scenario saves to be accessible this way (which would make sense, I guess), you could do that too.
If this is implemented, this is how I would like it to work.
vicza

Post by vicza »

Mano wrote:You can only play scenarios that you have already completed and the "present" scenario needed to advance. You will only have all scenarios available when you finish the campaign.
Then, I don't understand the essence of your idea. It is so now, isn't it? You can reopen any scenario you have played already and play them again. What do you suggest? This map? Well, maybe, but, I think, some support of directory system (every new campaign is saved in its folder; or, at least, can be opened from another folder) would be more convenient.
2. The Campaign will save the data from the scenarios, much like the saved games, but in a directory where the user can't delete it. So, even if a user deleted all the saved games, it would still have the scenarios already made and the recalled units for each scenario.
:) How do you imagine it? Just technically. A user can delete any file in the 'userdata' directory, or even the userdata itself.
vicza

Post by vicza »

irrevenant wrote:
vicza wrote:BTW, I would be glad if this "description locking" would be removed.
So would a lot of people, but it's a contentious issue and majority Dev opinion (including Dave's) is that it should remain as is.
Yes, I see. Though... in the version I use I already removed this limitation myself. :wink:

(And, I fear, this problem I'll have to solve all alone too. Though I'm not a programmer...)
Mano

Post by Mano »

vicza wrote:
:) How do you imagine it? Just technically. A user can delete any file in the 'userdata' directory, or even the userdata itself.
I'm talking about the files in the "Load Game" screen, so even if the user deleted all the saved games in the "Load Game" menu, the state of the campaing would be saved. Of course you cannot forbide a user to delete data using the file explorer from the OS.

As I said in the first post this is not exaclty a new feature, because you can have the same functionality now, by using the load game menu.
It's much more a interface ehnacement, and a way to give more fun experiences to the user, seeing is progress, instead of a list of zillions of saved games..

Greetings.
scienceguy8

Post by scienceguy8 »

You want something like Half Life 2, where when you reach the next chapter in the game, you can choose to start a new game from that chapter. It might work in some cases, but it would require a few additions to the current campaigns. Some scenarios can only be beaten if you have troops you can recall, so a list of standard, recallable units would have to be provided with each scenario save for the first one. Also, some campaigns give the player some choice in his or her actions, such as do I traverse the mountains full of trolls or brave the swamps full of undead. Some of these choices can have later effects in the game, especially the finding of loyal, yet expendable, units. The scenarios would have to include some sort of tag that tells the default for some of these decisions.

Everyone understands what I am trying to say, right?
"You can't kill an unarmed, upside down man!"
Dr. Rodney McKay
Stargate Atlantis
Runner

Gilberti Industries
scienceguy8
Proud Member of the Marching Salukis
ADmiral-N

Post by ADmiral-N »

scienceguy8 wrote:Everyone understands what I am trying to say, right?
It's basically the same stuff I said, so yes :)
Subspace! Subspace is freeware and is the longest-running massively multiplayer internet space combat game in the world.
Setsuna F. Seiei

Post by Setsuna F. Seiei »

I like the idea, cause sometimes i want to replay a certain scenario, but when i open the load thing it takes a long time cause i don't want to delete my saves except for multiplayer
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

How about you choose an amount of recalls (Probably 6-10) to bring to the next scenario?
But yes, I can see how this wouldn't work.
Maybe,

If you had 300 gold from scenario 1 to Scenario 2..
and 6 recall units from said scenarios

That would carry to the next mission, and since the next mission would have to be unlocked, once you completed that mission, that gold and units would carry over.

But if you replayed scenario 2, you would still have the same stats that you had saved over from scenario 1 when you won.

If you wanted different recruits, you would have to start scenario 1, get different stats when you won, and carry it over to the next scenario.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

Since someone already threadliched this, may I suggest a simple way to do this that some other games already use?

Basically, whenever you beat a scenario, an extra game save is made which is hidden and does not appear in the save game list. There is only one per scenario for each campaign. Winning the scenario again replaced the previous one.

When you choose to replay a scenario without loading a save game, the hidden save for the previous mission is automatically loaded.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

The only issue I see here is that if eventually, after someone has played a large huge of scenarios, it could really bog down the game with the all the hidden saves built up.

Though granted, that would take a great deal, as all of my saves now only amount to about 6MB.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time