Petition: Save archer

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zlodzei

Petition: Save archer

Post by Zlodzei »

Me and many others do find changes in loyalist's archer unnesessary and overall harmfull, decreasing Wesnoth diversity and unifiying factions. We do not feel that old (current) archer was causing any balance issue. It was common (but never spammed) and special unit. We want it to stay. Everyone who shares these beliefs shold sign in this topic. :) Save archer!
I can see you!...
cmonyiman

Re: Petition: Save archer

Post by cmonyiman »

*Signs*
I find it tends to delete diversity of the factions, and it tends to make human archer, instead of being it special, just like any other archer (easily attackable by melee).
mrmoose

Post by mrmoose »

*signed*
i have been saying this for a while now.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Popularity doesn't have much bearing on balance issues.....A vote is not the way to solve this, and if anything comes from this thread I'd be surprised.

For what it's worth though, I agree. (MP folk already know my thoughts on this.)
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
mameluke

Post by mameluke »

Would be nice if the change was described here in this topic.
So that guys like me don't have to search for it in the release notes...
I don't see any problems with an elf-woman hitting somebody with a mace...
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

feedback is good. How many games have people played with the new changes? Specifically loy vs. drakes? Note that this change is only on the dev branch, and is being *tested* (like everything in the development branch). So any comments about said test would be great. What is not particularly useful: commenting about how bad changes are without having tried them first.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
IB

Post by IB »

I actually like the sound of the changes even though I haven't tested them out yet. Bowmen are really annoying vs drakes with their pierce and blade for that low, low cost.
JW

Post by JW »

If we're talking about dropping melee from 6-2 to 4-2 and decreasing cost from 15 to 14, then I agree with Doc and others. If this is about a change in the svn then I am unaware of what's being referenced.

On a related note, the change to 7-3 ranged in 1.5.2 really should not have happened with only the other changes. As we all know, 7 damage units get +/-2 damage, and 6 damage units get +/-1. Turning the Archer from a 7-3 unit in day to 9-3 for 1 less gold really ought to have been predicted to have been a bad idea. I wasn't around when it was implemented, but I'm glad it only took a mere 2 releases for the mistake to have been corrected.
leocrotta

Post by leocrotta »

I've been against that change from the very beginning, but I tested locally vs mass-ai a bit
and had a match as Loy vs mysticx_the_unknown's Drakes just now on 1.5.5 and I tend
to agree more and more with Noy. The decrease 15g->14g doesn't sound that much, but
it already changes gameplay in a way that the archer-spear-ratio is around 1:1 now. At
least in this match the village defending night-archer has only been used once (against augurs).
I didn't miss him that much. In fact I had a 3:2 archer-spear-ratio :wink:
Chasing possible mass-saurias with cav and mages at day is also quite interesting ...
My 2cents for now: The change isn't thaaat bad :)
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

leocrotta wrote:I've been against that change from the very beginning, but I tested locally vs mass-ai a bit
and had a match as Loy vs mysticx_the_unknown's Drakes just now on 1.5.5 and I tend
to agree more and more with Noy. The decrease 15g->14g doesn't sound that much, but
it already changes gameplay in a way that the archer-spear-ratio is around 1:1 now. At
least in this match the village defending night-archer has only been used once (against augurs).
I didn't miss him that much. In fact I had a 3:2 archer-spear-ratio :wink:
Chasing possible mass-saurias with cav and mages at day is also quite interesting ...
My 2cents for now: The change isn't thaaat bad :)
This is good feedback, and more of it would be great. The archer change (like most changes in the dev branch) is experimental, but IMO it has potential. Remember when adepts had fearless? :shock: That was an experiment that didn't work out, but testing was critical to making an informed decision.

Replays of drake vs loyal games with the changes are especially welcome.

In response to this:
JW wrote:On a related note, the change to 7-3 ranged in 1.5.2 really should not have happened with only the other changes. As we all know, 7 damage units get +/-2 damage, and 6 damage units get +/-1. Turning the Archer from a 7-3 unit in day to 9-3 for 1 less gold really ought to have been predicted to have been a bad idea. I wasn't around when it was implemented, but I'm glad it only took a mere 2 releases for the mistake to have been corrected.
This was a simple mistake, and not intended to be a real change. It wasn't like anyone thought it was a good idea - but the typo has since been fixed.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
ezysquire

Post by ezysquire »

As for "no one spams bowmen".... you must not have played against me recently... I love bowmen as they stand... they are great vs all factions, they tend to outnumber my spearmen by 2:1

Don't change them!!!

:D

Of course if they do change I will just start spamming something else probably
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time