Compiling Wesnoth 1.4.5 in Ubuntu 7.04

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PhilipN

Compiling Wesnoth 1.4.5 in Ubuntu 7.04

Post by PhilipN »

I am using Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn), and I am new to compiling in Linux from source. I got the ./configure command to work properly (didn't get it to work properly for Atomic Tanks, but that's another story), but when I typed "make" I received an error message saying, "Make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop." Does anyone know how to get around this problem?

p.s. Sorry if this question has been asked before; I didn't take the time to read through the entire 19-page list of thread titles in this part of the forums.
AI
Developer

Re: Compiling Wesnoth 1.4.5 in Ubuntu 7.04

Post by AI »

Try following these instructions. If they don't work, post exactly what you did and what errors you encountered.
PhilipN

Post by PhilipN »

I don't understand all those instructions about the libraries in the "prerequisites" section-how to I know which ones I need to install and which ones I already have? Do I simply compile them using standard instructions, or do I need to put them in a certain directory? What does it mean to download from cvn? What is "cvn"? Thanks for your help so far, but I still have questions. I thought this was going to be like Apache Web Server, where I simply had to unzip and untar, then go into the directory and type ./configure, then make, then whatever that command for installing was.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

You probably don't want the SVN version. That's the haemorrhaging edge one with all the latest changes. As a result, it tends to have more bugs than a release version and sometimes won't even work.

To install the prerequisites under ubuntu:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get build-dep wesnoth
sudo apt-get install python-dev libboost-iostreams-dev libboost-test-dev
If you have the tarball in the current directory, here are the steps to compile and install:

tar xfjv wesnoth-1.4.5.tar.bz2
rm wesnoth-1.4.5.tar.bz2
cd wesnoth-1.4.5
#I'm assuming you want the editor
./configure --enable-editor
make
# compiling is done at this point, next step installs it to /usr/local
# if you want it somewhere else, you'll need a different ./configure command.
sudo make install
If you have any problems, please copy the error here and specify exactly which command failed.
PhilipN

Post by PhilipN »

I was having trouble with the sudo command: It asks for the password, then when I hit enter it doesn't do anything (just returns me to a shell prompt) and doesn't let me do anything that requires sudo privileges. I just got off the phone with a friend who used the package manager to get Wesnoth in Ubuntu 8.10 beta (he tells me that the non-beta version should be coming out in a few days), and he says that the thing on wesnoth.org that says I'll get Wesnoth 1.2 is outdated and if I use the package manager I should get Wesnoth 1.4.5. Can anyone verify this for me?
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
PhilipN

Post by PhilipN »

Thanks to your help, I was able to successfully compile wesnoth 1.4.5, but I already have wesnoth 1.2.3 and I don't know how to start wesnoth 1.4.5 as the older version is in the Applications -> Games menu, and when I tried typing the command "wesnoth" at the shell prompt from within ~/Desktop/wesnoth-1.4.5, it started v1.2.3. Do I have to get rid of the older version (I'd rather not if it's possible to run the newer version without doing so), and if so, how do I? If not, how do I load v1.4.5 without doing so?

Thanks for all your help so far, by the way.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

PhilipN wrote:Thanks to your help, I was able to successfully compile wesnoth 1.4.5, but I already have wesnoth 1.2.3 and I don't know how to start wesnoth 1.4.5 as the older version is in the Applications -> Games menu, and when I tried typing the command "wesnoth" at the shell prompt from within ~/Desktop/wesnoth-1.4.5, it started v1.2.3.
You have to specify the full path to the wesnoth executable if it's not in $PATH or the wrong one is found first. I guess you installed to /usr/local (the default) so that would be '/usr/local/bin/wesnoth'.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
PhilipN

Post by PhilipN »

Is /usr/local/bin the default location for installation if I use the package manager, but not if I compile from source? I ask because I used Symantic Package Manager to uninstall Wesnoth 1.2.3 to see whether that would make me able to open wesnoth 1.4.5, which I have compiled. I then checked /usr/local/bin and found it empty.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Package manager throws stuff in /usr/bin and /usr/share/wesnoth
Manual compile throws stuff in /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/share/wesnoth unless specified otherwise.

/usr/local has priority over the rest of /usr

sudo executes the rest of the line with root priviliges, that means running

sudo make install
effectively runs the following command as root

make install
PhilipN

Post by PhilipN »

Thanks for all your help, guys-it's working properly now.