Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Eternal
Art Contributor

Re: Ghastly

Post by Eternal »

Here you go. It's not very good, I know. I need to get rid of my habit of concentrating on details too early.
I think the head is the most salvageable part here.
Attachments
gorger.png
gorger.png (6.4 KiB) Viewed 4205 times
I wish I had more time in my hands.
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Wow! :shock: That's one of the coolest things I've ever seen. :cool:
Check out my sprites!
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I love it! 8)

Looks good so far.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Eternal wrote:Here you go. It's not very good, I know. I need to get rid of my habit of concentrating on details too early.
I think the head is the most salvageable part here.
Truly disgusting!

I'm sure it could benefit from some minor tweaks, but I like the overall direction. There's no mistaking that it's an evolution of the Ghoul line, and there's also no mistaking that it's a high level creature.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Mikaka

Post by Mikaka »

That's pretty good, but I have to admit my first reaction was to laugh out loud. It looks like a grotesque balloon. I can only imagine the walking animation as it rolling around the battlefield. It's going in the right direction, though. Give him bigger legs to support his immense girth and a left hand poking around the side a little more, and it's very usable. The head, as you stated, is definitely the highlight of the piece.
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Hahahaha!
Great, that's gonna be a troublesome portrait though. Why not give it a worm-like lower body instead?
For the dark gods!
Raemon

Post by Raemon »

What if it walks like a sumo wrestler? That is, hands on thighs and sort of waddling slowly.

Or is that too silly?
I'm a newbie. Don't listen to what I say.
Rocket Slug

Post by Rocket Slug »

Girgistian wrote:Hahahaha!
Great, that's gonna be a troublesome portrait though. Why not give it a worm-like lower body instead?
That's actually a really cool idea! The necrophage has gotten bloated to Jabba the Hut standards and is forced to drag himself around on his stomach using his almost vestigial legs for propulsion.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Eternal wrote:Image
:shock:

You know, it reminds me of...

:D
Attachments
ghastballoon.jpg
ghastballoon.jpg (27.43 KiB) Viewed 3659 times
mameluke

Post by mameluke »

Every game should have an evil "fat" guy ;-) (fat =~ strong)
I love him.
I don't see any problems with an elf-woman hitting somebody with a mace...
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

zookeeper wrote:
Eternal wrote:Image
:shock:

You know, it reminds me of...

:D
:lol2: Eh? I'd buy one of those.
I wish I had more time in my hands.
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

Given the reaction by those who are devs to my initial attempt, I anticipated something might have occurred in this vein over the last few months.

Another option. Before I get jumped (again) for posting something crappy in the contributions forum- it's nowhere near complete, and needs significant work on (among other things) clarifying outlines, completing the legs/loincloth, some coloring, adding spikes, reworking the hands... just to name a few. There was, however, a horrible accident with the XCF file. Given the reception of my last endeavor toward this end I figured i'd seek reaction before going through the work to do more with this.
Attachments
ghoul.png
ghoul.png (6.54 KiB) Viewed 3129 times
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Just a couple questions.

Where are you getting the parts for his body from? It does not seem to be one unit but rather an odd combination of other units.

What is the white patch on his neck/chest area under his head?

The fangs in his mouth seem to be a bit straight, I know that's hard to correct in pixelated art, but maybe if you just made them 1 pixel on the jawline?
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I really think he should be more bloated than strong. This guy looks powerful like the yeti--I think because his body is slim. And, uh, chicken feet? (I'm not complaining about your drawing skills, but the concept.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

So much for not picking at the problems I already named. Thanks, guys. Ignoring everything except the actual discussion of concept.
beetlenaut wrote:I really think he should be more bloated than strong. This guy looks powerful like the yeti--I think because his body is slim.
I disagree with the "bloated" image- partially because I think it's too easy for that to become comic to the exclusion of scary (see the "ghast-balloon" cartoon above).

Part of the goal is to add bulk; just not in a "round" manner. If I'm not conveying that, then that's a problem... but, for example (so much for not talking about you picking at the parts I already said needed work)- the legs look like they belong on a chicken because most of that space hasn't been touched yet- some will be filled/hidden by a loincloth (much like the necrophage), and some is just plain missing.

I tried the "larger version of the same thing" and legitimately, it wasn't going to be enough visually different from the necrophage (never mind getting griped at because I didn't make it clean enough).

The other concept-direction I do like is the face in the stomach one brought up a page or so back... it'd need redrawn larger (being a level 3 unit), and I don't think I like the horn-whatever that went where the head was... but I think conceptually there may be something there.