Wesnoth 1.5.5

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Wesnoth 1.5.5

Post by ivanovic »

Wesnoth 1.5.5 is out!

This is another release of the 1.5.x development branch. That means it may include a bigger amount of bugs than the 1.4.x branch and each version is not compatible with another one from the 1.4.x and 1.5.x branch since we do change quite a lot between the releases. Keep in mind, it might be a lot more buggy than the 1.4.x branch so don't be disappointed if you get a crash every now and then. "Normal" players should not use this release, you should stay with the stable branch. But if you want to test the future of Wesnoth, you are free to check 1.5.5.

This release just includes the normal changes you find between all development releases. Some campaigns were slightly polished, huge parts of 'A Tale of Two Brothers' were rewritten, some new music was added, stuff like this. With this release we are aiming into the direction of more stable texts in campaigns. That is the texts in most campaigns will not change too much anymore before we reach 1.6.

Some other important things to mention:
The old editor, wesnoth-editor, has been removed. Map editor functionality is now provided by "Editor2" via the "Editor" in-game main menu option, or directly by using wesnoth -e.

Note: it is a known issue that the AI acts really stupid. It's being worked on so no need to report that unless you think you have something genuinely new to add.

Of course there is also the full changelog listing (almost) all the changes since 1.5.4. A changelog with changes that might be visible to most users (and only includes these) is the players changelog.

Downloads
Sources:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... 2?download (168.3 MB) md5sum
Here is the xDelta for the sources:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... a?download (1.5.4 to 1.5.5, 14.7 MB)
Check http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7034 for info on using xdelta.

The Windows binary is available on the download page.

The MacOSX binary is not available yet. Once it is, you can find it on the download page.

The OpenSolaris binary is not available yet. Once it is, you can find it on the download page.

All known packagers have been contacted. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to get them work you get on the Linux binaries site for the Linux binaries. Download links for the other supported systems will be listed at the downloads page once the binaries are available.

As a fallback you can also get the sources from http://files.wesnoth.org/ - you should first try to get files through SourceForge to help us save bandwidth. Please get the files from sourceforge.net if possible.

The multiplayer server for 1.5.5 is already up and running. This server can only be used to play with 1.5.5. If you do encounter problems, please report them.

If you find any bugs don't hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to post bugs first. Instructions for bug reporting can be found at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/ReportingBugs.

Enjoy!

PS: Within the next seven days anyone asking when the binary for xyz will be ready will be banned and the post will be deleted. Such questions just distract the developers and packagers and don't do any good, so better not ask them...
Bugreports in the forums tend to get forgotten. You will get better results by following the guidelines and report them in the bugtracker.
Taimat

Re: Wesnoth 1.5.5

Post by Taimat »

Just out of interest, are saves compatible between 1.5.4 and 1.5.5? Probably a stupid question, but I dont know :P
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Taimat wrote:Just out of interest, are saves compatible between 1.5.4 and 1.5.5? Probably a stupid question, but I dont know :P
Saves might work, but you might not see the changes in campaigns unless you use start of scenario saves. And when using mid scenario saves you might see interesting problems, how knows...
Taimat

Post by Taimat »

who*?

And thanks, just checking. Been doing HttT steadily in between other Campaigns, didnt want to lose my progress.
cobra

Post by cobra »

The only problem with brand new releases is that the online servers are empty. So I will be waiting a little while till I get the new version. :D
Thank you President Bush
Ask not what wesnoth can do for you, but what you can do for wesnoth.-cobra
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Whats the gold carryover system about?
Anyway, will my campaign from 1.4 still work?
MDG

Post by MDG »

xer wrote:Whats the gold carryover system about?
Changes to gold carryover in campaigns.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

No. Do not carryover campaigns from 1.4 to 1.5
Gedankenschinder

Post by Gedankenschinder »

Is it possible that there are any bugs with the AI? I am just creating a campaign and installed version 1.5.5 today, and when I tried the first scenario, the units behaviour was totally different. in the first round, opposite teams didn't attack each other (in 1.5.4 they did), and their behaviour in general changed... like that the woses now hide in water and mountain fields, what they never did before...
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

I've noticed the same thing. The AI is VASTLY different in an incredibly inferior way. Unless your unit is in extreme danger of dying, it's COMMON now for 20 of your units to be next to 20 of its, and it -does not attack-. It'll just shuffle around. But its units in attacking -positions-, but never do the damage. It's like they all have attack_depth 1 or something.

Btw, I was playing HttT on hard with the new gold settings.
grrr

Post by grrr »

Another new feature: user accounts. Yep, you heard right - no more nick stealing!

How it works
Wesnoth MP authentificates against the forum's user accounts. Once you try to login with a registered nick you have to supply the same nick/password you would use to login to the forums. Also, to register a new nick, you have to go to the forums and register an account. Once your registration has been confirmed you can use your nick in Wesnoth MP. Have fun!
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

I really dislike the way that's implemented. I use a couple usernames (for fun and themes with friends, not deceit), and I don't have a couple e-mail addresses. Can't we import the username database for the forums into a separate database with the passwords already included so as to prevent the stealing of forum nicks, but allowing extra accounts to be made without an e-mail address.

Or will this create spambots :\.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

The changelog says
* Added the traits weak, slow and dim and made the goblin race use them.
but doesnt this go against the prohibition in FPI about complicating things
Adding any traits or unit abilities that are complicated or unbalancing
since we already have the opposite of those traits: Strong, Fast, Intelligent

(pls move discussion to appropriate area if this isnt it)
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

I think it was honestly just for flavor (and are easily understood), plus making goblins just a tiny bit better (equivalent of 3 bonuses now instead of 2).
Inai

Post by Inai »

Good evening.
* Language and i18n:
* Fixed a problem under Windows where the locales detection didn't
work; all languages are now enabled for Windows.
Hmm, what does that mean ?
For exemple, the non-core campaign " Legend of Wesmere " has translations provided, but it seems still not to be detected, and all is in English.
Or is this related to something else ?

Have a nice night.