Melons Artwork

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
woodmouse

Re: Melons Artwork

Post by woodmouse »

Wow, Melon! I really like your art! Those portraits are so cool! :D Oh, and like someone (I do'nt remember who) suggested, make some spider legs in the Weaver Matron? :) And sprites... wow! :D
Check out my sprites!
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

The fingers on her left hand (our right) are a little odd looking. Maybe they're to long? Maybe they're to skinny? I don't know. But they look odd. Other then that it's good. :)
ael193

Post by ael193 »

I dont really see anything wrong with the spider girl, but some people are more prudish than others. just give her a bra, that would end the argument.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

That totally wouldn't jive with the race or the sprite. I'm not saying the image is appropriate for Wesnoth or that I have a better idea to help it mesh, but that just seems kind of ridiculous to me.
Melon

Post by Melon »

I'm not a huge fan of how the pixie portrait turned out to be honest. It took me 4 times as long as any of the other ones, and yet something still seems off about it. Definitely not including it in the actual faction files.
Jozrael wrote:That totally wouldn't jive with the race or the sprite. I'm not saying the image is appropriate for Wesnoth or that I have a better idea to help it mesh, but that just seems kind of ridiculous to me.
My portraits are not a part of the "official" Wesnoth artwork. Currently they're not even a part of any add-ons. I'm just doing these for fun and practice, if no one accepts them in the end, too bad for me I guess.
ael193 wrote:I dont really see anything wrong with the spider girl, but some people are more prudish than others. just give her a bra, that would end the argument.
Like I've said, I'd rather not as it doesn't suit their race in my opinion. If there's overwhelming support to add one (Or the devs tell me to), I will do so.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

hi melon,

the art is wonderful, though i would like to see the "arachnid"-influence a bit more spread over the units. thiese chlid-fairies are somehow umm, suboptimal from unit design imo - it makes the whole faction cartoony, somehting like a joke.

wel,l what can i say about the weaver-matron. well its a cute grey colored chick, and due to that im male it could be completely naked.

however, thats somehow not the point. now look at that girlies mouth, how can that girly deal balde damage with a bite ?

give her some nasty fangs ready to bite someone to death, and let it show her.
the childish-pixies i would completely get rid of, and substitute with something else

why would other races avoid the yokai,becasue they get on their nerves with their childish behavior and appereance or what ?

in any case these arachnid thingies are great, the portait somehow dont fit my exspectations though, i mean its the matron, some sharp teeth and an agressive expression wjile showing them woudl be really nice
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
ael193

Post by ael193 »

I don't personally have a problem with the portrait, and I understand you want it to fit your ideas. I just suggested this as idea to shut people up. I'd rather it stay as it is.
sacred_chao

Post by sacred_chao »

Melon wrote:Nice to see you too Vendanna!

Here's an updated pic. I'm much more satisfied with this one then the last one I posted.
You appear to have just removed the upper wings.

I suspect that what Vendanna was suggesting was something more like this, with the wings folded behind the back:
pixie2.png
pixie2.png (41.65 KiB) Viewed 5091 times
Note that the upper wings should actually be bigger than that, and redrawn rather than copy-pasted, but this should get the impression across.
All things are true. Especially false things.
Melon

Post by Melon »

I've recolored the portraits based on some of the feedback you guys gave me and the information posted in this thread. It took forever, but at least I'm much happier with the results then I was before.
Attachments
nixie.png
nixie.png (43.33 KiB) Viewed 4766 times
pixie.png
pixie.png (46.51 KiB) Viewed 4766 times
feyborn.png
feyborn.png (41.99 KiB) Viewed 4765 times
Melon

Post by Melon »

Here's a portrait for the Lamia, I didn't post it earlier because I didn't want to spoil the surprise for what the new unit was going to be.
I really like how this one turned out, but I bet I'll get criticized on showing half a naked butt anyways :(
Attachments
lamia.png
lamia.png (47.11 KiB) Viewed 4720 times
JW

Post by JW »

Melon wrote:I really like how this one turned out, but I bet I'll get criticized on showing half a naked butt anyways :(
lol, just ignore that stuff. It is your material and your vision after all. If they don't like it they don't have to download it when you put it on the server.

Something tells me that they will. ;)

Keep it up my good man - it's good stuff! Also, this may be too late, but I liked the spider with the glow more, though I couldn't make out much of a difference between them.
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

I like it! It's cool! :D And it doesn't matter me that there's the butt... :lol:
Check out my sprites!
Sonic

Post by Sonic »

wow im look your art...now i shall something out this art but...when will be this era fix?im realy wait to play this faction and good work on porteraits Melon that a good work :roll: :roll: :roll: XD.
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

hmm looking at the sprite, is it even possible for her to have a butt :hmm: The tail appears to start at the waist
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Quietus wrote:hmm looking at the sprite, is it even possible for her to have a butt :hmm: The tail appears to start at the waist
EEEEE! :shock: I mean... How would you s*** without a butt? :shock:
( :lol: )
Check out my sprites!