Stuck on HttT The valley of death

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jozrael

Re: Stuck on HttT The valley of death

Post by Jozrael »

Its one of my favorite battles as well, but I've never fared well sticking in the central keep. The last night just plain flippin sucks.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Jozrael wrote:Its one of my favorite battles as well, but I've never fared well sticking in the central keep. The last night just plain flippin sucks.
I've had some nerve-wrenching final moments as Delfador, Kalenz, and Konrad flee the central keep with 1 or 2 (or no) surviving soldiers, only to be saved by the rising sun.

That's what I love about this one. Its a real nail-biter, and very dramatic. Its very hard for me to beat, but once I do, there's more of a feeling of acomplishment than that of having beaten a lesser foe.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

While I do find this a challenging scenario, I find it much easier to leave the keep and keep a mobile force, usually split in two.
firewinsagain

Post by firewinsagain »

here's what I do.

Turn 1: send Kalenz & Moremirmu south, recruit/recall 2 knights, a healer, some archers, and fighters.

Turn 2: Send the knights after the holy water and send the turn 1 recruits/recalls south with Kalenz & Moremirmu. Then recruit/recall a white mage or two, a healer, archers, and fighters. Send Konrad and Delfador north along with these recruits.

After the knights get the holy water send them to help Kalenz & Moremirmu's team wipe out the southern lich & its recruits. If you do this quickly you should be able to send the knights eastward, staying towards the south and avoiding the walking corpses. The eastern lich usually moves to a village to the southwest of its keep making it an easy target. Then send Kalenz & Moremirmu's team north towards Konrad's starting keep to draw some of the walking corpses away from Konrad and Delfador.

While doing all of that, Konrad and Delfador's team should skirt the mountains to the north along the eastern edge. This will draw the eastern lich's walking corpses to them. Don't ask me why, they seem to be attracted to Konrad. While the Eastern lich's walking corpses will slowly catch up you should be able to kill the northern lich and the banshees.
zathras

Post by zathras »

I can confirm that there is no bonus for killing all 3 liches... too bad! I was quite excited to reach that goal finally after several attempts - and disappointed with the result - I think it would be better to remove the bonus tag from the scenario goals since it clearly does not exist
Silverwood

Post by Silverwood »

What I did in medium mode was: rush the Orcish leader in the second last level with a Paladin, two knights, and three horsemen. I ganged up on him and beat the level in four or five turns, and I ended up with over 800 gold! Then in the next level I promoted my knights into Paladins.

This, plus the three Paladins, is plenty to build up your own horde to fight the three lichs. I killed them all. :)
Juan-

Post by Juan- »

Well, I played this map long time ago, but i remember how i passed this map.
I remember I has like 300 or 400 gold.

First turn: I recall a hero, a sylph, a fairy elf and a lancer (with him i grabbed one holy water, now i dont know if in the actual versions of Wesnoth the holy water isnt disappeared).
In the others turn: Well, the only units i recruited later was thieves, many thieves, they helped me to take care of the zombies, ghosts, and skeletons, too. Thanks of the great evasion of thieves, i only lossed 3 or 4 thieves in all the map.
Mnewton1 code acolite...
sen2k7

Post by sen2k7 »

Killed all three on medium by the tenth turn. I first recalled all my veterans a mix of almost everything level 2 and 3s. To the north i sent Delfador, paladin, white mage, with some other fodder. FODDER is essential if you dont want to lose your veterans. I also started with some 500 gold so that definitly helped. To the east i sent Keldon(lvl2), white mage, and a grandknight plus fodder(whatever you can send: shamans, fighters etc). To the south i sent Morimemer(lvl3 holy sword and Light rocks!!), marksmen, and some fodder.

After killing the northern forces i withdrew Delfador to the eastern front with a couple troops. Sent a pally and an outrider with the holy water two the north to kill the northern lich(pally can technically kill the lich in one turn during the day or dawn).

To the East I initially attacked but would get tactically withdraw to save my guys. I got lucky and the green lich came out to attack and I waited till daytime to hit him with Delfador(whom I withdrew after killing the northern troops; leaving my pally kill the purple lich). Delfador and my grandknight together made quick work of the Green Lich and then sent in fodder to keep them alive cuz there was like 20 ghouls coming. Remeber level 0's have no zone of control. Like i said got really lucky he came out to attack.

I had the most trouble with the south once night came. Morimemer(however you spell that) is powerful but can get ganged up on and killed easily at night and most of my guys were level 1 troops. I did the same to teh south attacked and withdrew during the night. Then when i cleared teh guys a bit sent in Morimemer with a fairy. I killed the Blue lich on the same turn as teh green lich ending the battle.

I was i believe -45 gold by then but i didnt lose any level 2 or 3s almost all of them besides mermen. i had 6 level 3's and about a dozen lvl 2s. and as much fodder as i can buy but dont sacrifice em needlessly!!

Took some thinking and luck; and got good exp :). Good luck if your having trouble having the right veterans helps alot! On the next level i started with 300gold not sure if thats the bonus or just default.
jrm

Post by jrm »

The way I did it on medium difficulty was to send a lvl 3 grand knight and a lvl 2 knight to the holy water, recruited four lvl 1 mermen to keep the southwestern forces busy (backed up by the lvl 2 knight, then sent Konrad, Delfador, a grand champion, a pair of lvl 2 rangers, two lvl 2 white mages, and a lvl 3 arch mage to the northern lich. After they took him out, I sent them southeast to wipe out the zombie horde. I had the lvl 3 knight take out the southwestern lich, who made it easier for me by attempting to attack the knight. By then my lvl 2 knight had leveled up to paladin, so I sent him and the grand knight to assassinate the southeastern lich. Finished in 9 turns and only lost the mermen.
mcv

Post by mcv »

For this scenario it's vital not to fight everybody at the same time. I ran south to kill the lich there, then came back for the other two, but ran out of time. (This was only medium, though.)
ofornes

Post by ofornes »

Dunno if it will work for you. I won using all the "loyals" plus 3 horseman plus 2 thiefs plus 2 mages.

1) The loyal horseman and the 3 purchased were upgraded to Paladins.
2) The 3 loyal thiefs where upgraded to assassins.
3) All the mages were upgraded to Mages of Light.
4) The other two thiefs were specially bought for this battle.

I first attacked the south-west lich. Lost 1 of the loyal elves (the archer) and 2 of the thiefs (during the first night while protecting all entrances to my weak units). By that night I had killed the south-west and his army, and on the 2nd day I killed the rest of the two hordes send by the other two liches. The game finished when I was killing the center-east lich (he was under siege by 2 Paladins 1 assassin and 1 Mage of Light). I could not reach the 2nd lich.

If you form units with the Mages of Light @ center, surrounded by the other units, they will heal each turn. The Paladins also heal your units (and hurt the undead as hell, since they make arcane damage).

Hope it helps (it's 2nd time I play this game, the first I was annihilated and I restarted from game one in order to train Mages of Light).
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Ofornes, the last post was a year and 10 months ago. I saw that you just joined, so this is just a reminder to check the date of the last post before you reply. This sort of "thread necromancy" is generally discouraged. Glad to see that you were trying to help, though - welcome to the forums!

P.S. Check out Posting Guidelines to give you an idea of the rules.
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24277
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!