Re: Tournament of Champions

Post by lightdragon »

yay tournament of champs -- sign me up pls

lightdragon
India
Eskon

Post by Eskon »

Aw what the hell, sign me up. I need to stop playing against AI only anyway. GMT+1.
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

Thus, the current list of applicants (in alphabetical order)

booner (GMT -4)
Duthlet GMT +2
Eskon GMT +1
grrr
Kalis GMT -5
leocrotta
lightdragon GMT +5.5
mrmoose
paris
Pietro
plk GMT +1
suokko
svek
Swift
Syntax_Error GMT +2
TheChosenOne GMT +5.5
Wintermute GMT -4 (Should I point out that it's now called UTC?)
xiaomin (GMT -8)
Yogi Bear
Zlodzei GMT +2

Total: 19

Just add your name to the list, so that it is easier for the organiser of the ToC to plan it.

P.S. Would be nice if you could post your timezones in GMT (UTC).
Last edited by TheChosenOne on September 24th, 2008, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

TheChosenOne wrote:(Should I point out that it's now called UTC?)
what difference do the few seconds make?
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

It doesn't, but that's neither here nor there. The guy is being helpful so let him continue. The only problem I'm having now is devising a system of arbitration for incomplete rounds: like if a player only wins one match but then goes AWOL; who wins? I sorta need a system or guidelines to arbitrate this.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
Eskon

Post by Eskon »

If someone doesn't show up to play his matches then he loses automatically, correct? Where's the problem?
xiaomin

Post by xiaomin »

sign me in
nick name: xiaomin
GMT+8
Kalis

Post by Kalis »

GMT -5
booner

Post by booner »

booner (Atlantic Time?)
In Canada, the provinces of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia reckon time specifically as an offset of 4 hours from Greenwich Mean time (GMT-4).
wy29

Post by wy29 »

Oh oh, sign me up too please.
TromboneStar
UTC -5 from Eastern Timezone.

Which maps will the tournament be played on?
Maybe I should start practicing. Haha
TromboneStar
HP 42
7-3 Melee Trombone
4-4 Ranged Star
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Eskon wrote:If someone doesn't show up to play his matches then he loses automatically, correct? Where's the problem?
If only it were that simple. What if someone wins one game and they can't agree on another time to play? Is the round conceded? Not really.

From the looks of it I think I'll cap it at 24, I think we're at 17 so, seven more shouldn't be too hard.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
Eskon

Post by Eskon »

Didn't think about that, sorry.

Well, if two players adhere to sportsmanlike behaviour, it shouldn't be a problem finding the time, or resigning if it isn't possible for one of the players to compete. I could only imagine someone winning one game, and then refusing to schedule the others in the hope that he wins by default. In that case the victim should be able to request referee assistance, with the referee mediating a playing time (asking both sides when they would be able to play) at which he will be in attendance to observe. If one player fails to cooperate at all, they lose the match. If they fail to show up at the mediated playing time, they will lose the game, and eventually the whole match if they fail to show up in subsequent games, too.

One thing should be made clear: You need to be credited the necessary amount of won games to win the match (3 out of 5 and so on), either by actually winning, or by having the win credited to you by the referee because of the opponent not showing up or failing to cooperate. Having won one should not decide anything on its own, since that would violate the spirit of a "best of..." series. You haven't won till you've won.
Zlodzei

Post by Zlodzei »

Well, I just hope that there will be less "technical" victories than previous TOC. I do not remember many details but pretty sure that ereksos won in 1/2 final by not showing himself for ~ 10 days when he had 2 : 1 (match was till 3 victories). And later in final he got technical victory again, but this time cos Bece was not showing. Not a matter, but I hope that next champion won't be so slimy...and doubtfull...
I can see you!...
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Wrong person, right problem.

Don Hewitt.
Gallifax
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Gallifax »

Pagans comment reminded me of something important. To prevent people sittings out games there should be a timer.

Would be sad to see another champion who plays 45 min turns to bore his opponent to death.

Relying on good sport of players is one thing, relying on timer is safer.