New Level 0 Unit: Light Cavalrymen

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Longbow

Re: New Level 0 Unit: Light Cavalrymen

Post by Longbow »

Thank you :)
I just call it Longbow's era but I don't know how to distribute it yet :(
My campaign, Elvish Legacy
My inventively named Era
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

I like the idea of a level 0 mounted unit, but I'm not sure about making it a charging unit. It's enough of a gamble using level 1 horsemen, and it seems like it would be very difficult to use level 0 charging units without them all ending up dead. And cannon-fodder doesn't really fit into a loyalist faction (unlike orcs and undead).

I'd look at making a level 0 variation of the Cavalryman instead. That would have a nice niche as a cheap village grabber. Bear in mind, however, that including a level 0 mounted unit would have major implications for balancing wherever it was used.
PingPangQui

Post by PingPangQui »

Why not give this unit a spear (which may either be thrown or used in close combat) instead of a lance or an expensive sword?
The attacks could be:

5-2 melee pierce
5-1 ranged pierce
The Clan Antagonist.

"Larry the Cow was a bit frustrated at the current state of Linux distributions (...) until he tried Gentoo Linux" - Free Software for free people.
eisfrei

Post by eisfrei »

Chris NS wrote:I like the idea of a level 0 mounted unit, but I'm not sure about making it a charging unit. It's enough of a gamble using level 1 horsemen, and it seems like it would be very difficult to use level 0 charging units without them all ending up dead. And cannon-fodder doesn't really fit into a loyalist faction (unlike orcs and undead).

I'd look at making a level 0 variation of the Cavalryman instead. That would have a nice niche as a cheap village grabber. Bear in mind, however, that including a level 0 mounted unit would have major implications for balancing wherever it was used.
That the Squire is dieing quickly is a big Problem I already faced, playing around with it.... I also wanted to make a cavalryman L0 too, but didn't found the time yet - He would be a good and cheap village grabber. That's right
The Balancing isn't such a big Problem, 'cause I don't think it will be added to the mainline somehow... Just in a UMC Era or Campaign ... and there it could fit in well, when you think of a civil rebellation or whatever - it doesn't have to be that strong, like the peasants....
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

5 or 6-2 would probably be good, more power-per-strike than the peasant but less attacks.
Trouble with ranged attack is you violate RIPLIB i think as the Horseman has no ranged.
My campaign, Elvish Legacy
My inventively named Era
chaoticwanderer

Post by chaoticwanderer »

It's an interesting idea but keep in mind, as someone mentioned, adding a new unit would have lots a of balancing issues. As of now, one of the flaws of the loyalists is having no cheap scouting units; the light cavalry fixes that problem, and makes the Loyalists imbalanced; all the other factions would need some new edge, or the Loyalists would have to be toned down in another area.
The RNG helps those who help themselves.
cretin

Post by cretin »

thats not really a problem chaoticwanderer, since this will not be put in mainline but rather user made campaigns and such.
chaoticwanderer

Post by chaoticwanderer »

Okay then, that's not a problem. I like the idea.
The RNG helps those who help themselves.