Any advice on the Southern Shore on Hard?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Instantblade

Any advice on the Southern Shore on Hard?

Post by Instantblade »

Ok... going quickly to present my problem:

I'm playing flight to freedom on hard, and I'm stuck on the southern shore, and as far as I can say, stuck for good.
The probable cause for this is that I have to little money, (quite) probably wrongly spent on the last level against those humans and elves. I did use too many units.

Now i'm on this watery level with 100 coins (!), and it just doesn't seem doable.
I have only 1 good unit to recall - a lvl2 glider, that goes trough deep water on 1 move, and allways has 50% defense. All the other drakes suck big time. The pirate ships i can recruit are pitifull, even agains similar loyal ships - the 1 attack really gets heavy against their 2.

So, any tips, besides the one "go back to the last level and don't spend so much money"?

Thanx in advance
Jozrael

Re: Any advice on the Southern Shore on Hard?

Post by Jozrael »

Have a better recruit list. I never played that campaign and thus don't know how far into it you are, but if it's anything over the second (or third, in some cases) scenario then you most CERTAINLY need a better recall list. Bunch of lvl2s and hopefully 3s by mid game and tons of levelled units by the end of a long campaign.
Instantblade

Post by Instantblade »

You are probably right.
I hate it when you play a hard campain, only to find at the 10th level (ok, sometimes before), that you should have a somewhat higher level army.
It sucks! :)
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

Instantblade wrote:Ok... going quickly to present my problem:

I'm playing flight to freedom on hard, and I'm stuck on the southern shore, and as far as I can say, stuck for good.
The probable cause for this is that I have to little money, (quite) probably wrongly spent on the last level against those humans and elves. I did use too many units.

Now i'm on this watery level with 100 coins (!), and it just doesn't seem doable.
I have only 1 good unit to recall - a lvl2 glider, that goes trough deep water on 1 move, and allways has 50% defense. All the other drakes suck big time. The pirate ships i can recruit are pitifull, even agains similar loyal ships - the 1 attack really gets heavy against their 2.

So, any tips, besides the one "go back to the last level and don't spend so much money"?

Thanx in advance

Is this the campaign where you are imprisoned and slaves for a few missions?
Instantblade

Post by Instantblade »

yup, it is.
I was trying the version - enslaved and then not so much.
My problem is not so much and with crappy pirates
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

Jozrael wrote:Have a better recruit list. I never played that campaign and thus don't know how far into it you are, but if it's anything over the second (or third, in some cases) scenario then you most CERTAINLY need a better recall list. Bunch of lvl2s and hopefully 3s by mid game and tons of levelled units by the end of a long campaign.
To answer this point you don't start being able to get lv 2's and 3's that are 'proper' drakes till the level before and the one this person is having trouble with (i think). I'll try doing it and see if i can help what level are you doing again? Hard well if its hard that means you have to be good to pass that one i guess.
Instantblade

Post by Instantblade »

lol, yeah, i guess.

I didn't try again because i din't kept my save from the previous scenario and don't feel like repeating the whole campain just to get to that point.
It's on hard and the level you'll see soon enough.

All water all around, and only an isnland in the middle. Your leader is a pirate ship.
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

I think i know the one you ment i got stuck on the caravan one :?
IB

Post by IB »

I think you could level up 4/5 fighters on the previous level and then use them to easily win this level, yup you have to go back. PS you really should have more than 1 level 2 glider after the last level, or maybe not play on hard.
maclag

Post by maclag »

OK, one year has passed, I guess the level has been modified, but like someone else before, I'm... blocked!

I play on normal level.

Answer to classical questions:
- Yes, you have less money than your opponent. Beside, the only ships you can recruit are far below what he gets, and I'm not sure but I don't think he gets them for much more than yours... For precision, your ships have one range attack and theirs 2 attacks, slightly less powerful (but still much higher than 1/2 yours!). And they have kind of "elite" unit even more powerful but slower.
- So, your only chance is to use Drakes!
Wonderful! The whole map is deep water except an island that your drakes will reach in 6/7turns in straight line, knowing that your opponent can place itself in front of the island in 6... Well, I've never reached it except to respect the wish of drakes who prefer dying on the grass than in the water (sic!).

I've tried recruiting a lot of hand-combat soldiers (no ship have close combat attack!). But they can't inflict enough damage and are totally massacred two turns after fight begins.

I've tried using fire drake (ships fear fire, no? well... no!). It's not better. 50% defense on their side against 20% on yours. They are twice more numberous and much faster than you.

I have very few leveled drakes, because "standard" (not slaves) drakes could be recruited 2 scenarios ago (if my memory is correct), and the previous one is just a huge melee with humans in plains and elves in forest (destroy one line on their side, they will do the same on yours, then go on, more or less). You meet the ennemy ships there: they have 100% defense on land and spend the whole scenario massacring whatever you would use to defend the bridge...

Has anyone really passed this? Preferably not an overkiller who passed in easy mode... (There's a reason for me not to play in hard!).