Wesnoth Downloads

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Alucard

Wesnoth Downloads

Post by Alucard »

Well, I just found out about this game and wondered if there should be a .zip or .rar rather than only a .exe. I just don't like installing files.
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: Wesnoth Downloads

Post by Dave »

Alucard wrote:Well, I just found out about this game and wondered if there should be a .zip or .rar rather than only a .exe. I just don't like installing files.
There is no .zip or .rar for Windows. What is your objection to using a setup.exe?

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Alucard

Post by Alucard »

I just never felt safe using them. I can't explain it. I usually never install anything now. I have installophobia.
TuxVader

Post by TuxVader »

Alucard wrote:I just never felt safe using them. I can't explain it. I usually never install anything now. I have installophobia.
Maybe you need therapy....
Dark penguin of the sith.
scott

Post by scott »

He needs a Mac.
krom

Post by krom »

Try Slackware, everything is .tgz (like a .zip).
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Alucard wrote:I just never felt safe using them. I can't explain it. I usually never install anything now. I have installophobia.
Well as you might appreciate, we are not going to provide installations in a different format because a user doesn't like our current format with no solid reasoning whatsoever for their preference.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Ayin
Inactive Developer

Post by Ayin »

Well, in a windows world full of adwares, spywares and other parasite-wares written by parasite companies, I can understand that one may not want to install any setup.exe.

But, hey, in this case, just download the source and compile it. You won't even have to run an exe that was not made by you. Or get a mac where those ugly setup.exe hacks are not a standard/a necessity. Or get some GNU/Linux or BSD operating system, and taste free software.
Shot

Post by Shot »

Ayin wrote:Well, in a windows world full of adwares, spywares and other parasite-wares written by parasite companies, I can understand that one may not want to install any setup.exe.
There is no reason whatsoever to doubt setup.exe but trust wesnoth.exe inside a .zip archive.

Either you trust Wesnoth binaries or you don’t; you can’t seriously think putting a spyware/virus/whatever by a malicious developer inside wesnoth.exe is in any way harder than inside setup.exe.
Ayin
Inactive Developer

Post by Ayin »

Shot wrote:There is no reason whatsoever to doubt setup.exe but trust wesnoth.exe inside a .zip archive.
I agree. That's why I suggested compiling from the source.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Shot wrote:
Ayin wrote:Well, in a windows world full of adwares, spywares and other parasite-wares written by parasite companies, I can understand that one may not want to install any setup.exe.
There is no reason whatsoever to doubt setup.exe but trust wesnoth.exe inside a .zip archive.
Precisely :)
Ayin wrote: I agree. That's why I suggested compiling from the source.
This is possible, but of course, for a Windows user, it is orders of magnitude more difficult.

David
miyo

Post by miyo »

a) use install binaries from official sources (sourceforge.net, wesnoth.org)

b) if there would be spyware/trojan/anything - it would be in the wesnoth.exe (the main binary you have to run to start the game) - not in the installer

c) as far as we know there is no spyware/trojan/virus in Wesnoth

- Miyo
rhianor

unless of course there is adware mix in the source code

Post by rhianor »

unless of course there is adware mix in the source code, or a virus waiting to be compiled. :twisted:
miyo

Re: unless of course there is adware mix in the source code

Post by miyo »

rhianor wrote:unless of course there is adware mix in the source code, or a virus waiting to be compiled. :twisted:
miyo wrote:c) as far as we know there is no spyware/trojan/virus in Wesnoth
- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: unless of course there is adware mix in the source code

Post by Dave »

rhianor wrote:unless of course there is adware mix in the source code, or a virus waiting to be compiled. :twisted:
Sure, but you can look at the source code to check.

Even if you personally don't look, other people will have looked, and given Wesnoth's popularity, if there was a virus or adware, it would be discovered pretty quick. [1]

David

[1] Yes, I know that it's possible for bugs to lurk for a long time in open source software, but these bugs don't take the form of 'adware' or a 'virus'. Such code must be far less subtle than code that e.g. makes Wesnoth crash. Although Wesnoth crashing isn't very nice, it's hardly a security issue.