Defeat

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Re: Defeat

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Quick update:

http://www.tyler-johnson.net/wesnoth/de ... pdate4.mp3

Changed the viola line
Last edited by Tyler Johnson on August 25th, 2008, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Tyler Johnson wrote:Plus, most of the time I just hit End Scenario when I die, so I usually never hear the end of the defeat track, and i'm sure it's probably the same for everyone else, unless it was an epic battle and I check the stats.
Yeah, but you can't really think like that. The music has to be perfect from start to end. :)

I think it works ok, but i still don't get the feeling of something heavy. I don't know... I don't get this loss feeling... But, i guess the more defeat music we have, the better!
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

You know, the more I listen to this, the more I'm starting to think this doesn't work. I think it's the fact that it stays in Fm the entire time. I put it into different scenario's like heading INTO battle, and it works a bit better. Maybe i'll use this as an introduction to a new composition.

Here is something I just threw together, it's a skeleton but it works better in my opinion, even though it ends on a major 3rd :D :

http://www.tyler-johnson.net/wesnoth/defeat2.mp3

EDIT : And a minor 3rd version :D :

http://www.tyler-johnson.net/wesnoth/de ... nor3rd.mp3

I actually like the major 3rd one better, I think it works better as defeat, i'm defying laws of emotion here! :lol2:
Last edited by Tyler Johnson on August 25th, 2008, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Now THIS works much better! I think you should make the final chord last longer. It ends up to abruptly. I much prefer this new theme!

That is a wise decision to sometimes put aside something that doesn't work. I worked quite a bit on the Main menu's music. I re-orchestrated it and added a new theme. Never was completely satisfied, so i decided to work on a new one, and it works much better now. Sometimes, you just have to let things go! ;)
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

That is very true, Leonardo Da Vinci only had a handful of masterpieces, but thousands of other works. I updated the post with a minor 3rd version just in case...but I like the major 3rd ending a lot better.
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

gmlion
Art Contributor

Post by gmlion »

Very good
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

One last modification:

http://www.tyler-johnson.net/wesnoth/defeat2update3.mp3

I think this is the final version :D
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Something is fishy in the last chord. It seems there is a note that is not part of the chord. Perhaps it is the gong base note...

EDIT: I got it, the gong makes a note in quarter tone between F and F#. Since you have a F# as a major third, it makes conflict. Perhaps you should use another gong sound. A lower note?
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Good ear, I didn't even catch that, but I am going to remember that for future compositions. Using the Pitch Wheel I moved it up to an F#:

http://www.tyler-johnson.net/wesnoth/defeat2update4.mp3
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Works good now. Just a suggestion; i would have used a root note for the gong. Its better to double de root note than a third or a fifth in the case of a resolution. The sound has a better balance.

Cheers,

Aleksi.
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Well, yeah but with EWQL each note is a different drum, for the gong at least. If I was working with Timpani I could choose a root note, which I would have.

But I have about an octave to work with with the gong, and each note in that octave is a different sound, for example, C2 is a long gong, D2 is brushes on a gong, E2 is one loud gong crash.

And if the note I chose is in the key of F, than with the wheel I can only modulate up or down a whole step, I can't go down to a D. Believe me, I would have if I could have.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

This is why i mostly use a very low gong sound. You can hardly distinguish the note, so it works perfectly!
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Well than, kick down man! You got my email address, send one over! :lol2:

I just use the EWQLSO Silver Edition gong sound, not the greatest, but i've used worse. I wish I had a stereo mic so I could go record one.
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

*cough* so what's going to happen with this? Is it going in or what?