Wesnoth Music Source Files

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

Re: Wesnoth Music Source Files

Post by turin »

Aleksi wrote:I agree. I am currently working on the re-ochestration of the Main Menu, which sounds much, much better now. But since this was originally licenced under GPL, it will stay under this same licence.
Actually, you could release you re-orchestration under a different license if you would prefer; just because the original version was under the GPL doesn't mean you're required to release the new version under the GPL, since you have complete control over the copyright on the work.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
dkaufman
Music Contributor

Post by dkaufman »

I know I'm kind of late responding to this, but as one of the guys on the list I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.
I don't think I feel quite as strongly as some of the other composers, but I do think going to a creative commons license is a good idea. Providing sheet music and source files(in my case pro tools) is fairly impractical. Distributing soundfonts would breach the software agreements for most virtual instruments so I think that's a bad idea as well.
LeGrande

Post by LeGrande »

As a piano teacher, former music editor (for Warner Bros. Publications, Alfred Publications, and the FJH Music Company), and published educational piano composer, I would like to put in a simple request.

Several of my students absolutely LOVE Battle for Wesnoth, and the music included with the game.

I wanted to arrange the music for a few of my students as a solo piano arrangement, similar to what you might see with movie scores like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. Given what people have been saying here, it appears that I can't use the "open source" element of BfW to create these arrangements (and offer them for free to the community).

For those composers who would be willing to let me arrange their music for piano, I would appreciate whatever source files are available or facsimilies of the manuscript.

I am willing to work intensively with the composers to make sure the spirit of their works is maintained, while allowing piano students of all ages to enjoy playing the music that accompanies one of their favorite games.

Perhaps in a similar vein to other music publishers, offering a "standard" difficulty arrangement along with an "easy" arrangement and perhaps a "big note" arrangement (if possible) would be the ideal.

I also agree that the possibility of a live performance of a "Wesnoth Suite" for orchestra would be quite appealing.
dkaufman
Music Contributor

Post by dkaufman »

Hi LeGrande- I'm fine with piano arrangements being made of my pieces. I sent you some midi files - not sure how useful they'll be for you.
If you ever give it a shot, I'd love to see what you come up with.
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

After some thought, I would also think it would be neat to see something like this (as long as proper credit is given, of course). PM with your requests and I'll send you the MIDI files, unless you'd like the Digital Performer files.
Gold Note Express (Owner) :: IRC name: eltiare :: Twitter profile
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

I wanted to arrange the music for a few of my students as a solo piano arrangement, similar to what you might see with movie scores like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. Given what people have been saying here, it appears that I can't use the "open source" element of BfW to create these arrangements (and offer them for free to the community).
I guess I feel differently than dkaufman and jeremy2 about distributing MIDI files of mine. Why not just transcribe them/hire a transcriber?

Personally, I never distribute MIDI or "source" files of my music, for fear of what could happen to it, I'm not saying you will distribute them, but my ideas, my technique is all poured into the music I write.

There is a reason Coca-Cola or WD-40 has never released its recipe's...
gmlion
Art Contributor

Post by gmlion »

There is a reason Coca-Cola or WD-40 has never released its recipe's...
That's the same reason source codes are often not released, so this argument doesn't apply here.

Anyway, a good way to release music "source code" could be to release each instrument/line as a different ogg file, because they are phisically the "source" of the corresponding music. A music is, after all, more similar to a book than a software: there are twelve notes clearly stated in each composition.
But I agree that a more artistic license should be used, since the GPL is clearly crafted around software elements and can't apply to other elements.
ciao
Gianmarco
daradib

Post by daradib »

gmlion wrote:That's the same reason source codes are often not released, so this argument doesn't apply here.
Agreed.
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Dude, that's exactly what I was saying, i'm not disagreeing. I'm saying, why would we release our music? It's like asking coca-cola to cough up their recipe. It won't happen.
gmlion
Art Contributor

Post by gmlion »

Dude, that's exactly what I was saying, i'm not disagreeing. I'm saying, why would we release our music?
Because you already release source code. so this project has a different approach than Microsoft's or Coca-Cola's!
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Yeah but he's talking about the music in the game, not the entire game.
gmlion
Art Contributor

Post by gmlion »

And you're talking of drinks :-D
The point is that the Wesnoth project release source codes, and it means it consider the knowledge sharing more important than secret on how things are done. This perfectly applies to musics, too
ciao
Gianmarco
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Tyler Johnson wrote:I'm saying, why would we release our music? It's like asking coca-cola to cough up their recipe. It won't happen.
1) Because that's required by the license we use atm.
2) Because it's nice. Just like it'd be nice if coca-cola released their recipe.