The Dangerous Symphony

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gmlion
Art Contributor

Re: The Dangerous Symphony

Post by gmlion »

I meant that it's not the much the waltzy impression that I'm afraid of, but giving it a too militaristic rythm and transform it in an action cue.
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

gmlion wrote:I meant that it's not the much the waltzy impression that I'm afraid of, but giving it a too militaristic rythm and transform it in an action cue.
So you are saying that you'd prefer the piece to pace itself and not become too bombastic as it might burn itself out?

I think I see what you mean. It's your piece man. Do what you want. :)
gmlion
Art Contributor

Post by gmlion »

Yes, something like that...
Don't misunderstand me, I perfectly know that this piece could perfectly work with more drums and, listening to your works for wesnoth on the forum, I'm sure you would use them wisely. But I also know that if the piece hasn't major "tecnhical" or "aestetical" issues we are in the realm of personal tastes, where we could probably argue forever and never be "right" or "wrong"...
This does not mean, obviously, that your suggestion is not appreciated: in fact I've added snare drums after your initial suggestions (edit: you wasn't the first talking about drums, but if you were, I would have listened to you), only not as much as you would have done
:)
ciao
Gianmarco
gmlion
Art Contributor

Post by gmlion »

Perhaps I'm missing something...is the music going to be added?
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

gmlion wrote:Perhaps I'm missing something...is the music going to be added?
Quite possibly, yes. I have a few suggestions Id like to make before we can consider this for mainline, it's just that I've been very busy lately and I don't want to blurt out anything that might be taken the wrong way. Expect some more detailed feedback tomorrow. And sorry for not commenting sooner.

BTW, you have good samples and I like your music. :)
gmlion
Art Contributor

Post by gmlion »

Thanks, I was waiting for your suggestions since the begginning.
ciao
Gianmarco
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Yes, same for me, i will do a more profound analysis. I didn't quite have the time myself as well.

Aleksi.
gmlion
Art Contributor

Post by gmlion »

Ok. Don't be too harsh :D
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

I think its pretty good overall.

What disturbs me most is that you have a main theme that loops way too much. It gets very annoying after a while. It gives an impression of "background music". And music should not be like this... Even though it is for a video game, you should be able to listen to the music independently.

Second thing, you add these parts that come from nowhere without any link whatsoever. Its kind off strange. I'm ok for surprises, it is very important in music. Like the first change is very good now, but the second is very strange, and then it gets very confusing. You have this part at 3:23 that is interesting but you don't continue that. You come back to the main theme. Why this part? What does it mean?

As i said before, you should work more on your construction. It gives me the impression that you have no clue what you are going to do in the next couple measures. Your harmonies and themes are nice. It would be even better if it was built in a better way.

Aleksi.
gmlion
Art Contributor

Post by gmlion »

The second thing is surely a limit of my current ability of composing, perhaps accentuated by connections not elaborate enough.

The first thing is something I don't really feel, since it is also contradictory that you say that there are too many different parts AND that i repeat too much. In fact I see in this music many statements of two or three themes that are anyway different each time, both in notation and orchestration.
ciao
Gianmarco
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

About the repeating part, is was talking about the main theme. The "waltz" theme.

But, its just one point of view. :geek:
gmlion
Art Contributor

Post by gmlion »

About the repeating part, is was talking about the main theme. The "waltz" theme.
I wasn't considering it really as a theme, more like the skeleton of the whole composition...but if taken as a theme, it is perhaps stated too many times. What's problematic is that I fear it's difficult to "remove" its repetition, since the major part of the composition is build upon it.
I'll look at the indicated 3.20 problem as soon as i have the time.
Ciao
Gianmarco
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

gmlion wrote:
I wasn't considering it really as a theme, more like the skeleton of the whole composition...but if taken as a theme, it is perhaps stated too many times. What's problematic is that I fear it's difficult to "remove" its repetition, since the major part of the composition is build upon it.
I'll look at the indicated 3.20 problem as soon as i have the time.
Ciao
Gianmarco
Well, it isn't really a theme, but since it is the skeleton, i called it this way. Its omnipresent, and does not have much variation to it. Take Wojciech Kilar's score from Dracula and you'll see that most pieces are based on repetition. You can take the example of Ravel's Bolero as well. But, both works contain minor variations that don't make it seem repetitive at all. Take a look at them.

But, once again, it disturbs me, but it may satisfy others. ;)

Cheers,

Aleksi.
gmlion
Art Contributor

Post by gmlion »

From what I can remember, I found Bolero more repetitive than my piece. :-D
I will listen again anyway
ciao
Gianmarco
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

I agree with you there... I mean I think the orchestration and instrumental development is the only merit one would find for listening to Bolero. Even Ravel said the piece was "a piece without music". HAH! Indeed, it's pretty boring musically but it's also extremely brilliant because it keeps a 20 minute piece fairly interesting all the while with the form of the music hardly changing during that span.
It utilizes textures in the whole orchestra palette one at a time, with different elements coming to the fore-front at specific points to keep the texture of the music interesting and going forward. (Ravel was a master. I am sure of it.)

And because he chose Bolero as a specific example, I think Aleksi was trying to allude to orchestral variation rather than development of form on what might best be isolated for future re-works. I think you have enough interesting musical ideas to make a complete piece, but you are missing a bit of POP somewhere... instrumental pop. (NOT I IV V pop.) :)
I still think it's in the lack of explosive percussion is bothering me... You wouldn't have to make a 'hollywood action cue session' of it, the drums could merely allow the rest of the music to really shine, providing TEXTURE more than anything as a backing to the music. I think this piece would really benefit from gaining and smartly using different textures.

So yea, I think the form of your piece is fine, but it just doesn't sound dangerous enough for me.