Corvvs' Art Thread (all stills made, tweaking them.)

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
woodmouse

Re: Corvvs' Art Thread (Monsters: Wyvern and Dread Wyvern)

Post by woodmouse »

I liked it more gray... Well, it's just my opinion. Oh, and changeing the wings: That would make it better, I think. :)
Check out my sprites!
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

Here are the edited wyverns.
Attachments
monstertree.png
monstertree.png (50.12 KiB) Viewed 4088 times
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

Orbivm ||| The Thread of Ill-Fated Portraits
Rex Umbrarum

Post by Rex Umbrarum »

I like the new color, but the L2 neck looks almost skeletal.
vivantlingvaemortvae
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

I don't see what you mean. Maybe it's all the spikes?
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Pretty nice... I must admit I had doubts at the start but the faction has gotten somewhere.

The white octopus thing - level 2 I assume - looks really cute. It's probably the eyes and the thing on top of the head. It really should look fiercer. :P

EDIT: The fact that the bottom of the face is shaped a bit like a smiling mouth probably also has to do with it. Just a tip, though. Maybe changing it will make it worse.

For the other octopus things, may I suggest fewer, thicker tentacles. Also, a little more shading on the heads would be nice.

Good job though. :)
Rex Umbrarum

Post by Rex Umbrarum »

Corvvs wrote:I don't see what you mean. Maybe it's all the spikes?
Skimming ruins me again. :( I just skipped over "don't" and thought you said you do see what I mean, so I didn't respond, sorry.

But I think what I'm seeing is a combination of the color and the structure of the neck. The color looks very bone-ish, and the neck looks like its divided into little backbone sections. Also I thought the spike on the back of his head was part of his neck, meaning it seemed like some tendons and muscle was missing. But if no one else thinks it looks like that then just ignore me.
vivantlingvaemortvae
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

Urs wrote:Pretty nice... I must admit I had doubts at the start but the faction has gotten somewhere.
Yes, its the first project I've really finished. But I seem to have now found my groove, and intend to keep groovin' therein.
Urs wrote: The white octopus thing - level 2 I assume - looks really cute. It's probably the eyes and the thing on top of the head. It really should look fiercer. :P

EDIT: The fact that the bottom of the face is shaped a bit like a smiling mouth probably also has to do with it. Just a tip, though. Maybe changing it will make it worse.
Quite right, all of that. Thanks. The deviant medusid is supposed to look grumpy and hermitic, as they are non dominant males cast out form the pack who live in the depths of undersea chasms.
Urs wrote: For the other octopus things, may I suggest fewer, thicker tentacles. Also, a little more shading on the heads would be nice.
Yeah, good point.
Rex Umbrarum wrote:
Corvvs wrote:I don't see what you mean. Maybe it's all the spikes?
Skimming ruins me again. :( I just skipped over "don't" and thought you said you do see what I mean, so I didn't respond, sorry.

But I think what I'm seeing is a combination of the color and the structure of the neck. The color looks very bone-ish, and the neck looks like its divided into little backbone sections. Also I thought the spike on the back of his head was part of his neck, meaning it seemed like some tendons and muscle was missing. But if no one else thinks it looks like that then just ignore me.
I see what you're saying, but I don't agree. Anybody else think it does/doesn't look skeletal?

Here's an update with Urs' criticisms taken into account.
Attachments
monstertree.png

Peter the Great

Post by Peter the Great »

I like the old one better, but I think we should keep the new Deviant because it's more fitting to the unit.
Latin:LVDVMAMISI (pronounced Loo-dum amee-C)
French: J'ai perdu le jeu.
English: I lost the game.
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

I liked the bigger head white octopus more... :( But that's cool, too.
Check out my sprites!
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Much better, but everything appears to be really blurry now.

Also, could you send me or post the pngs for the octopus line? I want to try something.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

It seems blurry because the image is scaled down, click on it to get the original.
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

Thanks AI. Urs, do you intend to try making the tentacles fatter? I really would prefer that they stay skinny, but go ahead and maybe I'll end up liking it. _If_ that's what you intend to do.
Attachments
medusids.zip
(11.3 KiB) Downloaded 286 times

Corvvs

Re: Corvvs' Art Thread (all stills made, tweaking them.)

Post by Corvvs »

I finished up the monsters' stills today, here's a .zip with a lot of relevant stuff, and a full tree with stats. Now I'm off to make a faction thread in factions and eras for discussion of coding/balance/stats.
Attachments
monstertree.png
Monsters.zip
(187.14 KiB) Downloaded 286 times