Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

Outsider Art for Bad Moon Rising

Post by doofus-01 »

(ahem...)

------Original Post--(images removed)----------------------------
While the server was down, I did get to work on anatomy. These are WIP, but if there is bad anatomy now, improved shading isn't going to fix it, so fire away.

These are the bad guys. They are supposed to be human-like, but superior in some ways. Basically, I was trying to make bad guys that aren't either undead or chaos daemons. Very loosely based upon ancient Greek gods (or what I imagine Greek gods to be).

Ladies first (the men aren't drawn yet, but they'll be in the same style):
Last edited by doofus-01 on December 17th, 2009, 1:58 pm, edited 17 times in total.
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Art for Bad Moon Rising

Post by doofus-01 »

And this is one of the good guys. Again, Work In Progress, but if the anatomy is off, it's better for fresh eyes to catch it now. Thanks.
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

I think the first one's feathers are a bit off. I can't find a good reference of a wing folded like that, but you might want to look around. I'm happy to draw one if you want.
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

Orbivm ||| The Thread of Ill-Fated Portraits
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Good job, these are really a drastic improvement over your early portraits. Belleros's head and face are really really good IMO, and the mail skirt/shirt of the nemesis is pretty sweet. The anatomy in general seems really good.

I'd say the biggest problem would be the striker's pose, as it looks really forced. It's mostly how she holds the spear with the forearm raised yet close to her body and with a twisted wrist. Straightening the wrist either by making the spear be vertical or by lowering his forearm that 45 degrees might work.
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Looks pretty good. Aside from what zookeeper already mentioned, I'd note that in human anatomy the upper arm should go roughly down to the same height where the pelvic bone begins, so the hands reach about halfway down the thighs. These guys' arms are a bit short. This is some big improvement already, though.

Edit: Also, the handle of Belleros' sword seems very thick (compare to a [censored] sword). Good work with the wrappings though.
For the dark gods!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks, good points all.

Corvvs,
You're right, those wings are pretty bad, I didn't have a good reference. I'll work on that, but I'd also gladly accept any help. A google search turns up plenty of examples of people messing it up, it would be nice to get this right. It might even be useful outside this campaign. (Might the winged person design/idea fit in Orbivim (sp)? Would need sprites first but...)

zookeeper,
Thanks. I see what you mean about the striker's arm. It is mostly an in-plane adjustment, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Girgistian,
Thanks. Now that you mention it, those short arms are rather noticeable. But fixable.
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

doofus-01 wrote: Corvvs,
You're right, those wings are pretty bad, I didn't have a good reference. I'll work on that, but I'd also gladly accept any help. A google search turns up plenty of examples of people messing it up, it would be nice to get this right. It might even be useful outside this campaign. (Might the winged person design/idea fit in Orbivim (sp)? Would need sprites first but...)
The droch fae (dark-elves, of sorts) have a winged wizard, which I'm doing for Urs. Could be a useful portrait with some modifications.

Just FYI I have long studied birds as a hobby, that's why I'm involved in so many bird related things(droch fae, arendian falcon, this, monster faction, etc.) But yeah, I'll draw a quick reference sketch and post it later.

I think the new portraits look very good overall, btw.
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

There is a smiley on the wing of Nemesis!
You also need better sprites, new sprites with the old animations looks a bit funny! :mrgreen:
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

I edited the nemesis to have new wings. Here it is to be used as a reference: (if you want to just use it, I can post xcfs or psds)
Attachments
nemesiswithwingsmodified.png
nemesiswithwingsmodified.png (135.79 KiB) Viewed 26485 times

Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Looks good, but could be bigger. I don't think she's going to fly anywhere with wings of that size. Glide possibly, but not fly.
For the dark gods!
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

I dont know why the primevals are the bad guys.
The idea is great!
I could help with some art.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Corvvs,

Those wings are a better design, but I think Girgistian is right that they are a bit small. This is what I had most recently (I was looking at a picture of an osprey for a reference). I think I'll try to move it closer to what you did though, especially the outer edge. Thanks.

I also extended her arms a bit.
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

They're still a little short, but I see now that if you lengthen them a lot then she'll start to look really slim. A quick solution: shrink her a little from where the belt starts and move the lower part a little higher.

Also, it seems inpractical to me to hang armour from one's belt. All chainmail thigh-armour I've seen have been either complete pants or complete hauberks. Hanging the mail from the belt just makes it unneccessarily heavy (which, I think, could include a sheath or something, otherwise it looks kind of... meaningless).
Attachments
An example.
An example.
4nemesis3a-shorter.png (107.97 KiB) Viewed 26361 times
For the dark gods!
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

The new wings look pretty good, and of a more appropriate size than mine. Glad to be of help.

doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks. Those are excellent points, Girgistian. I'll try to incorporate those suggestions. Until then, here's something different. The chain is going to be a lot of work, I think, so I hope to get the arms right before I start on that.
Last edited by doofus-01 on January 30th, 2009, 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.