Non-Wesnoth works

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rain
Music Contributor

Re: Non-Wesnoth works

Post by Rain »

Arrangement of the previous jazz theme. :)

http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/rai ... oGroup.mp3
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Rain wrote:Arrangement of the previous jazz theme. :)

http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/rai ... oGroup.mp3
Very nice! Reminds me of Jordan Rudess' solo stuff. This is something I would love playing some lead guitar over. The drums could use some serious work though... they sound kind of random, like nothing a real drummer would play. Generally I think they're too busy, with all that hi-hat stuff going on. I'd love to hear it with a more laid back ride-driven groove.

(if you'd be interested in doing some collab thing, I'd be happy to provide a more real-sounding drum track for this tune :))
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

Thanks West. :)
West wrote:This is something I would love playing some lead guitar over.
Right on. That would be awesome actually.
West wrote:Generally I think they're too busy, with all that hi-hat stuff going on. I'd love to hear it with a more laid back ride-driven groove.

Me too! I think the drums might be clashing with the laid back nature of the melody but I haven't been able to determine whether that is a by-product of the mixing, the synthesized nature of the drums, the rhythms present or the prominence of the high hats.
West wrote:(if you'd be interested in doing some collab thing, I'd be happy to provide a more real-sounding drum track for this tune :))
You bet! That would be much appreciated. Would you like for me to send you an mp3 of the piece with piano and bass only?
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Rain wrote:You bet! That would be much appreciated. Would you like for me to send you an mp3 of the piece with piano and bass only?
Yeah, absolutely! Just let me know the bpm, and add a couple of bars of click in the beginning so I can line everything up correctly. Come to think of it, it would probably be best if I had the piano and bass as separate files, if it's not too much trouble.
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

I'll do that. The piece is in 3/4 and the tempo is 144, though there is a part in the song where there is a slowdown. I'll send you a copy of the tempo changes a la midi file.

Check your pm's. :)
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

I was thinking it would be pretty cool to have something like what we have here for Wesnoth, but for all types of music. A forum / song review system so that composers can get help with their music. So... I spent a fair amount of time working on a site just for that purpose. It's still somewhat rough around the edges, but I figured you can take a look at it here: HiRate Music. If you want a composer's account, PM me and I can get you an invitation code.
Gold Note Express (Owner) :: IRC name: eltiare :: Twitter profile
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

jeremy2 wrote:I was thinking it would be pretty cool to have something like what we have here for Wesnoth, but for all types of music. A forum / song review system so that composers can get help with their music. So... I spent a fair amount of time working on a site just for that purpose. It's still somewhat rough around the edges, but I figured you can take a look at it here: HiRate Music. If you want a composer's account, PM me and I can get you an invitation code.
That looks very interesting and I would definitely like to join. :)
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Here's two tracks I'm working on for SilverTree RPG:

The Silver Tree (main theme)
Exploration
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

This isn't a composition, but rather an arrangement of the Final Fantasy VII soundtrack. Anyone who has played that game will know how outstanding the score was ( :!: :!: :!: Uematsu-San :!: :!: :!: ). The man is a true legend. So here is a Youtube video of my little FFVII arrangement. And sorry for the terrible audio quality, the signal flow involved a macbook microphone as a recording device and QuickTime Pro. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fitjebWH3Co

And West, on that Exploration song for SilverTree, I really like that. Very romantic chord changes and the doubling of the violin/flute really adds a fantasy touch, great work! The contrasting harmonies in the middle of the song in the flute part were nice, but that section just got a tad repetitive for me.
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

Really nice arrangement, mate. I love me some Final Fantasy muzac. :mrgreen:
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

Some music I am writing for a nice little platformer. :)

http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/rain/Frogatto2.mp3
TimothyP
Music Contributor

Post by TimothyP »

That electronic piece was very cool, Rain. The jazz piece was interesting too, although I wouldn't have thought of it as jazz if you hadn't said anything. There are some jazzy bits, but you'd hear the same ideas from French romantics/impressionists like Debussy or Faure. And the drums sound like rock drums to me, the snare is a bit heavy for jazz. So, even though it doesn't sound like jazz to me, the piece is nice.

--T
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

TimothyP wrote:That electronic piece was very cool, Rain. The jazz piece was interesting too, although I wouldn't have thought of it as jazz if you hadn't said anything. There are some jazzy bits, but you'd hear the same ideas from French romantics/impressionists like Debussy or Faure. And the drums sound like rock drums to me, the snare is a bit heavy for jazz. So, even though it doesn't sound like jazz to me, the piece is nice.

--T
Thanks Tim.

It's definitely not 'straight' jazz, but a lot of the chord voicings and the melodic construction is put together in a way that it stylistically serves as a sort of modal pre-cursor to what 1940's, 50's jazz would later become. (Bill Evans comes to mind) So in that way, it probably is more of an 'impressionistic' piece than a straight jazz piece, though that line is easily blurred from time to time. (especially in this case)

Glad you liked the music!
Mica

Post by Mica »

Wow, that more electronic piece is amazing!

All your works are fantastic, same with West's.

Keep it up. :)
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
dontano

Post by dontano »

Tyler J: Yay! Final Fantasy! Whoohoo! ^^ Great mix, Tyler J. I love FF OSTs, and you've chosen the best tracks that *High Lord* Uematsu has ever made. Thank you, so much! :D

Rain: It's a cool track, I'll give you that. :wink: I'm not a great fan of electronic music, but that rocks. Keep up the good work! *thumbs up*

PS: If you like remixing some game soundtracks, why not signing up at OCRemix.org? There are tons of remixed themes from various games: all made from musical geniuses like most of you audio developers. :)
Trust yourself first, then trust others.
Current activity/ies: what...!?