Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Re: Misc Frames/Sprites

Post by Federalist marshal »

Jetryl wrote:Committed the dwarf defend frame.
Ooh, great!

Anyway, here's what I've done for the bowman attack:
Attachments
bowman-sword1.png
bowman-sword1.png (2.93 KiB) Viewed 4591 times
bowman-sword2.gif
bowman-sword2.gif (5.97 KiB) Viewed 4603 times
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

The other three frames:
Attachments
bowman-sword2.png
bowman-sword2.png (3.3 KiB) Viewed 4568 times
bowman-sword3.png
bowman-sword3.png (3.51 KiB) Viewed 4581 times
bowman-sword4.png
bowman-sword4.png (2.68 KiB) Viewed 4582 times
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Simply assuming that the bowman attack frame is done, I've decided to try remaking the duelist's attack and defend frames. I would appreciate some suggestions as to how I could do this, or a notification that it's already been done...
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I wonder if there was some particular reason for ignoring my suggestion of trying to make the animation not look bad. :| Yeah, it's an improvement as it is but still it'd be nice if you'd at least make the bow remain vertical even if you can't or don't want to do what I suggested.
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

zookeeper wrote:I wonder if there was some particular reason for ignoring my suggestion of trying to make the animation not look bad. :| Yeah, it's an improvement as it is but still it'd be nice if you'd at least make the bow remain vertical even if you can't or don't want to do what I suggested.
Sorry, I forgot about your suggestion; it's probably a better idea...

Well, here's what I've done with the sword in the right hand...
Attachments
bowman-melee-2.png
bowman-melee-2.png (3 KiB) Viewed 4308 times
bowman-melee-1.png
bowman-melee-1.png (2.6 KiB) Viewed 4308 times
jdsampayo

Post by jdsampayo »

The bow in the second frame looks very strange, I wonder if it is the right perspective, it needs to be cleaned a bit.
In quechquixcauh maniz cemanahuatl, ayc pollihuiz yn itenyo, yn itauhca in Mexico-Tenochtitlan
As long as the world exists, no one will forget the glory and honor of Mexico-Tenochtitlan - Culhuacan memorial
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Is this better?
Attachments
bowman-melee-2.png
bowman-melee-2.png (3.04 KiB) Viewed 4184 times
jdsampayo

Post by jdsampayo »

after looking it a lot of times, I think the problem with the bow is that it needs to be a little more down, but maybe it is only me...

and I will consider checking the chest in the second sprite, it needs more brown (I mean the clothes seems to protect more the chest in the first sprite that in the second)

and I see a white pixel in the second sprite in the chest, dunno if it is intentional

sorry if I sound a little pedantic... :/
probably these are only minor issues
In quechquixcauh maniz cemanahuatl, ayc pollihuiz yn itenyo, yn itauhca in Mexico-Tenochtitlan
As long as the world exists, no one will forget the glory and honor of Mexico-Tenochtitlan - Culhuacan memorial
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I'll take the bowman animation from here - I'm in the middle of a major upgrade to the human bowman sprites, which'll fix the melee frames. Basically, after looking at several things that needed to be upgraded on this unit, I decided to go whole hog:

1] The costuming has been significantly altered; notably losing those stupid greaves I'd put on the thing beforehand. The new one actually borrows pants/chest parts from a sprite eternal made (the same modifications have been applied to the L2 and L3 sprites) - the heads remain the same, as do the bows, but the core of the body changes. Overall it looks a lot less dumpy than the previous sprites looked, and manages to do so without a single pixel's increase in height.

2] The melee frames have been upgraded to match the human ranger's style of melee animation. I don't know if we're gonna use that for the elves (I'd like to possibly have a new, unique animation for the elven archer lines), but it's definitely working out well on the human and undead archers.

3] The real centerpiece to this, though, was a complete rethinking of how wesnoth does bow frames. The problem with bow frames is reconciling bow frames with directional animations. With crossbows, we're lucky - I managed to come up with something that looks good for both S and SE/SW, meaning that for full directionality, we only need one other animation, for the N/NE/NW. The worst case scenario would be needing a unique animation for all four directions. In fact it'd be significantly worse for bows, because their animations are much more involved than crossbows.

After some 2-3 attempts, I've come up with an animation that not only looks fine for both S and SE/SW, but also looks as good as the current one does for N/NE/NW - which is nice because it's not going to look worse than our current images for that until we get directional variants. Not only that, but it's actually kinda easier to draw than our previous bow frames, and it should be rather trivial to convert other units to this, when we get around to directional frames for them. The trick to this came from tilting the bow at an angle, "robin-hood" style. It somehow makes the direction the bow is pointed in more ambiguous, which makes it more useable across multiple directions.

I'll be committing this tomorrow.

(Robin-hood style, if you're wondering: )
http://www.strategyfirst.ca/downloads/f ... 24x768.jpg
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

jdsampayo wrote:sorry if I sound a little pedantic... :/
probably these are only minor issues
That's ok, I'm fine with your criticism, it usually gives me something to do, or at least consider.

Anyway, I am interested to see what Jetryl has for the new bowman sprites. So I guess it would be ok if I go and work on the fencer now, assuming it hasn't been done already?
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Well with the server crash, it appears that all the saurian frames I made are gone. Which is unfortunate, as I backed those up on a different hard drive which I shall be unable to access for some time. And I thought they were worthy of being committed. :( But a small handful of saurian mage frames I currently have with me, as well as the bandit frames. Here they are, compiled in one .zip file.
Attachments
Misc Frames, Sprites.zip
(17.22 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Federalist marshal wrote:Well with the server crash, it appears that all the saurian frames I made are gone. Which is unfortunate, as I backed those up on a different hard drive which I shall be unable to access for some time. And I thought they were worthy of being committed. :( But a small handful of saurian mage frames I currently have with me, as well as the bandit frames. Here they are, compiled in one .zip file.
:( Damn. Those were worthy of being committed.

Yeah, I'll take these and put them to use. If you can get your hands on the other ones, please do upload them when you have a chance.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Lizard liked committing them into EoS as soon as you finished them, so you may be able to find something in the saurian directory.
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

AI wrote:Lizard liked committing them into EoS as soon as you finished them, so you may be able to find something in the saurian directory.
Thanks for the saurian directory; it helped me find some of the files, but unfortunately not all of them. I've attached what I managed to find along with what I do have.
Attachments
Saurians (Incomplete).zip
(11.54 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

:) Quite fortunately I have just been able to access the rest of the saurian sprites! Here they are, hope I didn't miss any:
Attachments
Saurians.zip
(31.5 KiB) Downloaded 200 times