New monster "line": Corpse Moth and Corpse Worm

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Velrei

New monster "line": Corpse Moth and Corpse Worm

Post by Velrei »

basically, a level 1 monster with bat movement and defenses for the moth.

~24 hp

10-1 blade plague Bite (level 0 corpse worm) Melee

4-2 impact Poison Cloud Ranged

It creates a Corpse Worm which can level up to become another Corpse Moth.

The worm form should be rather weak and slow.

~18

5-2 blade Bite Melee

4-1 impact slow Silk Spray Ranged

Just something random I came up with, it violates RIPLIB, but it's supposed to be a monster unit anyway, and it has a rather good reason out of it.

Of course, I suspose any player fighting a number of these will curse me forever since they have poison, slow, and plague...but oh well.
Velrei

Re: New monster "line": Corpse Moth and Corpse Worm

Post by Velrei »

Addition: the corpse moth would most likely have a level 2 with an extra strike and generally improved stats.
CarpeGuitarrem

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

So you'd give skirmisher to the corpse worm? Mmm...for a unit with plague, I think that's far too overpowered. I mean, that would mean you've got an assassin zombie-maker, essentially.

And yeah, the moth is far inferior. Maybe if you switched them, and removed the slow from the Silk Spray?

Try it out, stick it in an era.
Glory in Blood...Needs Programming Help!

If you have time, check out my ongoing serial story...
The Hidden: Secrets of the Future's Past
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

CarpeGuitarrem wrote:And yeah, the moth is far inferior. Maybe if you switched them, and removed the slow from the Silk Spray?
I believe the point is that Larvae grow into Moths, not the other way round. It would be more natural to beef the moth's stats.
Velrei

Post by Velrei »

irrevenant wrote:
CarpeGuitarrem wrote:And yeah, the moth is far inferior. Maybe if you switched them, and removed the slow from the Silk Spray?
I believe the point is that Larvae grow into Moths, not the other way round. It would be more natural to beef the moth's stats.
I think you are correct, the moth's stats do need to be beefed up, I wanted to make it fast and kinda annoying since it attacks weaker units with poison then finishes them off.

I don't think this unit would be "balanced" for any faction, but might be fun as a random monster on a campaign or map.

Mostly I just wanted to suggest a new type of monster for people to use, and I think this one would be challenging under the current AI for people to deal with, especially early on if I beef up the stats.
peet

Post by peet »

Actually, the two hunits have roughly the same stats outside of HP, but presumably the moth has a much better move. If the worm moves 5 (with terrain modifiers) and the moth moves 8 (with no terrain modifiers because he flies), then the moth is a much superior unit.

The slow attack is the only thing that makes the worm better; I find that slow is a very valuable special. But if the moth also had slow, that would probably do it.

Peet
Velrei

Post by Velrei »

peet wrote:Actually, the two hunits have roughly the same stats outside of HP, but presumably the moth has a much better move. If the worm moves 5 (with terrain modifiers) and the moth moves 8 (with no terrain modifiers because he flies), then the moth is a much superior unit.

The slow attack is the only thing that makes the worm better; I find that slow is a very valuable special. But if the moth also had slow, that would probably do it.

Peet
perhaps slow could replace poison as a ranged attack on the moth, which would allow it to surround it's opponents and prevent them from getting far or doing much damage.

Good idea.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Why not have it so that the Corpse Moth creates a Corpse Worm when it kills? Then, when the Corpse Worm "grows up" into a Moth, it can create more Corpse Worms of its own.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
arielbys

Post by arielbys »

Sangel wrote:Why not have it so that the Corpse Moth creates a Corpse Worm when it kills? Then, when the Corpse Worm "grows up" into a Moth, it can create more Corpse Worms of its own.
It does so.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Some people just don't pay attention...
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Ah, I read the stats the wrong way round. Normally people put the low level stats before the high level stats. :wink:

Well... carry on then...
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Knowing how the AI picks its attacks, this would be better stats to make it more dangerous and annoying, even if the stats are weaker. You could of course boost them to prevent RIPLIB. ;)

Code: Select all

~24 hp
4-2 blade plague Bite (level 0 corpse worm) Melee
9-1 impact Poison Cloud Ranged
Anyway, this would cause it to use the poison cloud first (higher expected damage) and switch to bite when the enemy's HP is low. (higher CTK)
ADmiral-N

Post by ADmiral-N »

Doesn't the plague ability always transform the enemy into a walking corpse? As opposed to, say, "the lowest level unit of the current line."
Subspace! Subspace is freeware and is the longest-running massively multiplayer internet space combat game in the world.
michchar

Post by michchar »

no, you can turn it into any unit you want, its just that the current plague is set to turn the enemy into WCs
Velrei

Post by Velrei »

AI wrote:Knowing how the AI picks its attacks, this would be better stats to make it more dangerous and annoying, even if the stats are weaker. You could of course boost them to prevent RIPLIB. ;)

Code: Select all

~24 hp
4-2 blade plague Bite (level 0 corpse worm) Melee
9-1 impact Poison Cloud Ranged
Anyway, this would cause it to use the poison cloud first (higher expected damage) and switch to bite when the enemy's HP is low. (higher CTK)
Good idea, that should make the ai use it more effectively.

Thank you.