two campaign ideas: 'Only one sun' and 'A new world'

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

idanwin

two campaign ideas: 'Only one sun' and 'A new world'

Post by idanwin »

I had an idea for a campaign but I'm not sure this fits in the history of Wesnoth:

Only one sun: After the world has turned into a desert one of the few humans left has a vision of what will happen (all live will disapear) and what he should do to stop this; they have to find a way to bring down the second sun...

The End: By strong magic found deep underground they are able to bring down the second sun.

A new world: The second sun falls down and destroys a huge part of the world. But because of the shock an ancient evil has awakened. Which is turning the world into a cold, dark place... (well; we're going from extreme hot to extreme cold)

The End: They are able to imprison this ancient evil.

(you have to select the end to see it)
Last edited by idanwin on May 8th, 2008, 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Idanwin
Life is short, I can make it even shorter...
Gallery ~ Contrib:Idanwin (21)
Geos

Re: two campaign ideas: 'Only one sun' and 'A new world'

Post by Geos »

But don't tell us the end!

Well, fits fine for me, after all, is ever after UtBS, right? Just... Well, seem quite epic, so you need to make TWO epic campaigns to tell that story... I am making one, and will not be longer than 16 scenarios. Only this is taking quite an effort, so...
As an advice, is good to express ideas about campaigns when you actually HAVE something done. Makes people care more about that.
That's ridiculous, dragons have no windows...
idanwin

Post by idanwin »

So, like that you can see the end, but only if you really want.
(note: this only works if you use subsilver2(_orig))

Yes, this is a long time after UtBS, there's only few water left. Everyone is fighting each other...

I have already three scenarios. But they're quite buggy because I'm trying to make it have 5 difficulties (and because I'm not a very good WML programmer)...
~Idanwin
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

:cry: My campaign (sequel to UtBS btw) is still unnoticed (albeit finished and polished).
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Ratha Shadar

Post by Ratha Shadar »

There there Shadow Master. I plan on playing your campaign just as soon as I've finished replaying all the mainline ones (I'm finding them changed quite a bit between 1.2.8 and 1.4). Honestly, I have it downloaded and everything (it looked good).
Stealing other peoples signatures since 1904 CE.
idanwin

Post by idanwin »

No, I've already played a big part of Invasion from the Unknown, and it was pretty difficult; I had to play on easy and even then I hardly could win any scenario (but that doesn't mean it's too difficult, I'm just pretty bad in playing campaigns without first looking in the source to see when what's gonna happen :lol2: yep, I'm a cheater ... that's why I learned WML)
Invasion from the Unknown is actually the first campaign I played on 1.4.0.

I didn't find anything about the mythology/science/believes of the races in Wesnoth. Could anyone tell me how they thought about why the suns where kept in the air in Wesnoth?

If there isn't any reason yet, maybe the second sun could be kept in the air by strong magic (I like strong and ancient magic) that's sealed away in an powerful item (yep, the sun has a horcrux too). This item was sealed away to keep it out of the hands of those searching for power.
~Idanwin
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Just a few topics below yours: the history of the fall of wesnoth. Not complete or perfect, but a good start.
IceFinger

Post by IceFinger »

I know that it's an unreal world of imagination, and by that way you could create whatever, but for me, that a star (or one sun, because a sun is a star) fall on the earth is unimaginable. In fact I cannot put away that a sun-like have to be at least 100 000 000 000 000 times the size of a earth-like to exist. Maybe it's because I'm physicist, but it really bother me. Perhaps some people (not necessary with the real data) are bothered by that, I don't know, but something else similar is possible, a moon can fall and the impact can increase significaly the temperature of the earth. It's the same effect, and easier to imagine.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

IceFinger wrote:I know that it's an unreal world of imagination, and by that way you could create whatever, but for me, that a star (or one sun, because a sun is a star) fall on the earth is unimaginable. In fact I cannot put away that a sun-like have to be at least 100 000 000 000 000 times the size of a earth-like to exist. Maybe it's because I'm physicist, but it really bother me. Perhaps some people (not necessary with the real data) are bothered by that, I don't know, but something else similar is possible, a moon can fall and the impact can increase significaly the temperature of the earth. It's the same effect, and easier to imagine.
The original UtBS story tells that what they actually did was to "cast a mountain into the sky and made it glow as bright as the sun". So obviously they weren't quite comparable to real stars.
IceFinger

Post by IceFinger »

Finaly the official story of UtBS is not clear for me. I though that this part of story was a lengendary one to explain the cataclysm, but finaly nobody know what happened.
But I think you're right finaly, if we imagine that it's not a real sun, but from a magic thing, it's ok.
Volde

Post by Volde »

Shadow Master wrote::cry: My campaign (sequel to UtBS btw) is still unnoticed (albeit finished and polished).
Is there any reason why it`s not in mainline? I played it a bit and it looks much better than Tale of two brother for example, no disrespect to author of that campaign.
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Volde wrote:Shadow Master wrote:
:cry: My campaign (sequel to UtBS btw) is still unnoticed (albeit finished and polished).

Is there any reason why it`s not in mainline? I played it a bit and it looks much better than Tale of two brother for example, no disrespect to author of that campaign.
Not to derail this thread too much, but I really think it should be in mainline. I never finished it, but it was by far one of the most interesting campaigns I've played in quite some time. I should probably pick it up again
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

<.< I'm missing a campaign?

Which one is this? I'd like to play it when I return to gaming =)
Volde

Post by Volde »

Urs wrote:Not to derail this thread too much, but I really think it should be in mainline. I never finished it, but it was by far one of the most interesting campaigns I've played in quite some time. I should probably pick it up again
DID and UtBS are already in Mainline so imo it would be fitting to include well polished campaign with ties to other two great campaigns.
archlich
Location: Deep in an underground bunker in an undisclosed location

Post by archlich »

Do you intend to make a third campaign explaining how the day night cycle returns to normal?

For one thing, the way it was before there was what i calculate to be a 16 hour long dark which gave rise to Yechnagoth.

Now that you bring the second sun down, there will be dark for at least two thirds of the day or something crazy like that. You said this gave rise to a second great evil, but that is not the main problem here.

According to invasion from the unknown, life eventually adapted, but since thats not a mainline we ignore for this purpose although i loved that campaign. With these so few hours of sun, plants would not be able to photosynthesize and there would quickly be a famine. the process of sunrise/sunset would have to be drastically accelerated, which is also a potential campaign.
"The bombing starts in 5 minutes."- Ronald Wilson Reagan