Wesnoth 1.4.2

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Wesnoth 1.4.2

Post by ivanovic »

Wesnoth 1.4.2 is out!

This is a bugfix release for the 1.4.x series and it is compatible with the other 1.4.x versions.

1.4.2 just fixes several smaller bugs (most aren't listed in the changelogs...) and provides some smaller and many bigger updates to most translations. If you are using one of the many translations Wesnoth provides, you should consider updating to 1.4.2 since those were improved a lot. Of course there is also the full changelog listing (almost) all the changes since 1.4.1. A changelog with changes that might be visible to most users (and only includes these) is the players changelog.

Downloads
Sources:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... 2?download (143.1 MB) md5sum
Here is the xDelta for the sources:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... a?download (1.4.1 to 1.4.2, 2.0 MB)
Check http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7034 for info on using xdelta.

The Windows binary is not available yet. Once it is, you can find it on the download page.

The MacOSX binary is not available yet. Once it is, you can find it on the download page.

The OpenSolaris binary is not available yet. Once it is, you can find it on the download page.

The Debian and Gentoo packages are already created, all known packagers have been contacted. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to get them work you get on the Linux binaries site for the Linux binaries. Download links for the other supported systems will be listed at the downloads page once the binaries are available.

As a fallback you can also get the sources from http://files.wesnoth.org/ - you should first try to get files through SourceForge to help us save bandwidth.

The multiplayer server for 1.4.2 is already up and running. This server can be used to play with 1.3.18, 1.3.19, 1.4, 1.4.1, 1.4.2 as well as all upcoming 1.4.x releases. If you do encounter problems, please report them.

By now the add-on server already offers much content that should be completely compatible with 1.3.18, 1.3.19, 1.4, 1.4.1, 1.4.2 as well as all upcoming 1.4.x releases. If you encounter any problems with content from the add-on server not working as expected, please notify the content's author, most of them should be here in the forums.

If you find any bugs don't hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to post bugs first. Instructions for bug reporting can be found at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/ReportingBugs.

Enjoy!

PS: Within the next seven days anyone asking when the binary for xyz will be ready will be banned and the post will be deleted. Such questions just distract the developers and packagers and don't do any good, so better not ask them...
Bugreports in the forums tend to get forgotten. You will get better results by following the guidelines and report them in the bugtracker.
nataS

Re: Wesnoth 1.4.2

Post by nataS »

changelog wrote:Version 1.4.2:
* campaigns
* Liberty
* Backport r25650 to fix graphics glitch (bug 11438)
* language and i18n:
* updated translations: Chinese, Chinese (Traditional), Croatian, Czech,
Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Lithuanian,
Polish, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Spanish, Turkish
Any use for updating when I do not plan to play the Liberty campaign and use the English language files? What kind of bugs were fixed? And why not add them to the changelog?
As a tribute to the brilliant developer fixing them, and so users and other devs can comment on it if they are really fixed, and have better inside in possible new side effects.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Because we often forget to add them to the changelog. :P I fixed several bugs in this version but of course cannot recall what they were about.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Btw AFAIK this update was mostly about translation updates.
Sometimes when the bug is a very small one we forget to report it in the changelog (and forget fast too so it's hard to report now), and that was the case for most this time... You'll probably not notice them in 1.4.1.
There was also a few graphic updates, one or two animations updates there and there.
If you only use the english language that's sure, you might not bother to update...
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Theron

Post by Theron »

I wondered why 1.4.2 (Mac OS X) is so much smaller than 1.4.1 and compared folder sizes:
The translations are missing!
In "Battle\ for\ Wesnoth.app/Contents/Resources/translations" are folders but no files.
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Noted and fixed.

For those who want to self-compile: turns out that the translations problem was due to a faulty msgfmt in my XCode project file, and so I've stopped compiling msgfmt (by using Mac OS X's built in binary instead) and libwesnothintl (by using a previous build which worked fine). I'll fix compiling libwesnothintl in future builds, but I'll probably just stick to Mac OS X's msgfmt in the future (unfortunately I don't know what went wrong in the first place). I'm also planning to include building for the other dependencies instead of including those already compiled; so far I've replaced boost_iostreams to actually compile when building the game. Adding the other dependencies will result in a larger download. I'll try to trim it down by deleting the unneeded files for compiling the SDL-related frameworks, as well as boost-iostreams itself and boost-regex/SDL-ttf (when I get those working on 1.5.0).

I plan to do this to ensure that compiling is as easy as possible for everyone (without having to teach building not just wesnoth, but also SDL, boost, etc.) at the expense of a larger download size, which might not please those who are developers who already have those libraries on their Macs (but might compile from source anyways). I'd like to make the XCode project as something which only needs tweaking based on the individual Mac involved. It will ensure that there would be easier continuity whenever someone can't provide the binaries, as compiling Wesnoth on a Mac is made as easy as possible by lowering the bar of entry for non-programmers (including me :) ). Any objections to this?
Take a breath.
boa13

Post by boa13 »

Now that seven days (and some more ;)) have passed, may we enquire about the state of the Windows installer? :)

My friend is particularly interested in the French translation. Have there been major updates in 1.4.2 for this language? I'd rather not have him download 1.4.1 and upgrade to 1.4.2 only a few days later. :|
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Read the changelog for players.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

boa13 wrote:Now that seven days (and some more ;)) have passed, may we enquire about the state of the Windows installer? :)
You may :wink: .

I was very busy the last weeks (and Mist is not available at the moment), so i started to work on it today. Compiling takes some time, now that we have a couple of processor architectures to support. I hope to be able to provide it tomorrow, but better don't bet on it. Anyway, it's in the pipe (and the first wesnoth related thing that will get out of it :wink: ).
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

boa13 wrote:My friend is particularly interested in the French translation. Have there been major updates in 1.4.2 for this language? I'd rather not have him download 1.4.1 and upgrade to 1.4.2 only a few days later. :|
Quite a lot, yes, btw there is still a few untranslated strings in the french translation the Hammer of Thursagan and Liberty IIRC, the rest is 100% done, those are the only places where the translation is not complete yet.
In the 1.4.x SVN (so in 1.4.3 when it will be out) the translation for Liberty is now complete.
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
harry63

Post by harry63 »

I am unable to get the Mac OS X version to mount. The computer states that there is "no mountable file system."

I am running OS 10.3.9 on a 700 MHz G4. I have tried rebooting and re-downloading nut no luck. Other disk images work okay. Is anyone else having this problem?
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Please see this thread.
Take a breath.
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Problem found and fixed.

There are some reports that arrow keys are crashing wesnoth on Mac. For those of you who've experienced it, please PM me a report with the report provided by Mac OS X, following the technical support guidelines in your PM.

md5: d22bc7d05401472da52f5cc469350425

EDIT: small problem found. Uploading fixed version.
Take a breath.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

windows binary is finally ready:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... e?download

I skipped the idea of the bin directory for executable stuff, because it turned out that you can't start the files directly from there (only from start menu links). So now everything is back into installation root and you can start whatever you like :) .
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Fixed 1.4.2 uploaded; only for those who are using 10.3, or those who downloaded the version "f" I uploaded before this. For the latter, try unpacking and copying the contents (all xyz.frameworks) of this attachment into @executable_path/Contents/Frameworks/ (by right-clicking the bfw app, selecting show package contents --> contents -- frameworks). It should be a much easier fix than downloading everything again.

Those who are on 10.3 need to download the whole binary file, due to some changes in 10.5 disk imaging system. It will still work fine on newer versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

I've also uploaded the 1.4.2 lite version.
Take a breath.