Heroes of Wesnoth

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Urs
Art Contributor

Re: Heroes of Wesnoth

Post by Urs »

irrevenant wrote:It would be cool to see Wesnoth become a shared setting (and art-base) for a variety of different games, such as an RPG and RTS. An FPS might be a little tricky. :)
Ya know... Wesnoth as an action game would be incredibly cool, as long as the Aragwaithi are playable. That would pretty much automatically be the awesomest looking video game ever. :shock:
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Well I want to do something similar to Golden Axe/D&D Tower of Doom, tought its very different to want something and doing/implementing it.

Still, in most cases the most important thing is to have the base program running, because to test things you can use colored boxes, its not as nice looking, but if the core of the program doesn't work, has bugs or is simply gameplay suck, doesn't matter if it has the prettiest graphics of all the globe, the game will fail.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

You're right, the hero can participate directly in a battle. I've still haven't implemented magic, so having a hero with no magic and unable to participate directly is kind of useless. For now I'll just make him behave as any other unit, but I'll probably change that as soon as I can
There's nothing necessarily wrong with this. You don't HAVE to copy the HoMM formula exactly. In fact HoMM V didn't entirely discard the heroes acting in battle, just sort of combined a few things with the classic version. Also MoM used heroes acting as units rather well.

But how you do it is up to you.
Jonan

Post by Jonan »

Version 0.1 has just been released!

This version doesn't even have credits so I haven't been able to thank all the Wesnoth artists for their excellent job and for freeing all their work, so I thank you now :mrgreen:
Hope you like it.

Download page
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

wow, even an exe and pathfinding... more than i expected.

but i hope you implement some kind of unit statistics window soon; i dont understand at all what does damage and move order depend on here.

also, are you planning to implement towns, different factions and personalized heroes as in real HOMM? im not sure if it would be good if towns functioned exactly the same way as in HOMM, but different factions and personalized heroes would be great.

@Aethaeryn, look at the page 1 of this thread ;)
Last edited by Blarumyrran on May 18th, 2008, 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Are there any screenshots? I couldn't find them.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
TheBladeRoden

Post by TheBladeRoden »

I could dig a Wesnoth FPS :P
Founding Father of Columbia
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Awesome image...
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Trau

Post by Trau »

That elf better find the magic missile ammo or those skellies will kill him! :augh:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

That would be such an awesome game. An offshoot of the freeDOOM project, anyone =D

/me wishes he had the knowledge to make such a thing...
Last edited by thespaceinvader on May 19th, 2008, 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
JAP
Art Contributor

Post by JAP »

Nice for a 0.1 release, i just hope i wont have to force quit the 0.2 release when it comes.
You said you wanted it i bit more graphic independent, do you know what you want the main menu etc to look like?
I can do something if you want, but it might take a while..
Jonan

Post by Jonan »

JAP wrote:You said you wanted it i bit more graphic independent, do you know what you want the main menu etc to look like?
I can do something if you want, but it might take a while..
Sure, any help is welcome.

Send me a mp with your email so we can be in touch :wink: