RNG superstitions

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Trau

RNG superstitions

Post by Trau »

What with all this talk of the RNG flying around, I think it'd make an amusing thread where we share our superstitions regarding it... I'm sure you all have at least one :wink:

Mine :eng: :
- Once or twice every game, an Ulfserker will do something amazingly good or amazingly bad.
- A disproportionately large amount of firepower is always - ALWAYS - required to kill footpads. Fortunately, more dangerous units with 70% defense, like thieves and fencers, always die to disproportionately small amounts of fire.
- Heavy Infantry nearly never make both hits. Grunts always do.
- The likelihood of a unit's attacks landing is directly proportional to the length of his/her attacking animation.
- Magic attacks are actually more likely to hit enemies in 70% terrain than plains.
- One-shot attacks for large damage, like the dragoon crossbow or the assassin knife, never hit.
- Any and every retaliation attack against Charge will hit.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: RNG superstitions

Post by Sangel »

- The magic of the Elvish Sorceress has a 70% chance to miss, rather than a 70% chance to hit.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

When I first started playing, orcish assassins really did almost always hit with their single melee strike. Really. It was the only time I have seriously wondered whether there is something wrong with the RNG (it was one of the few units having just one strike on their attack, so I figured it might have had something to do with that).
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Dwarvish Thunderers have their own rules for hit percentage. If one player hits every shot with his thunderers, then you recruit them, you will always miss. The only way to reverse the luck of a dwarvish thunderer is by attacking it with the poison attack of an assassin or orcish slayer. Then it will do the least expected thing, especially if that slayer was a leader unit. ;)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

gah, zoo beat me to pointing out the orcish assassin thing...

also, water units last longer in their 40% ctbh
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
grrr

Post by grrr »

Quick/intel units dodge better than strong/resilient. Also, they are more likely to get all their strikes in.
Max

Post by Max »

Trau wrote:- Heavy Infantry nearly never make both hits.
so true^^ and in addition the first strike has a far better chance to hit...
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Trau wrote:- Heavy Infantry nearly never make both hits.
Unfortunately, the same goes with the magical Dark Adepts...
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

-Marksmen aren't.
TL

Post by TL »

Whenever you need to soften up a wounded enemy without killing it (to allow a weaker unit to sponge up the XP), you will inevitably land four hits and make the 0.5% CTK on the throwaway unit you were using to knock its HP down.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

TL wrote:Whenever you need to soften up a wounded enemy without killing it (to allow a weaker unit to sponge up the XP), you will inevitably land four hits and make the 0.5% CTK on the throwaway unit you were using to knock its HP down.
And if that by some miracle doesn't happen, the unit you were trying to level up will fail to kill or even get itself killed.
uzy5o

Post by uzy5o »

If you use an attack with Y strikes and need to connect X of them to kill an enemy, where Y > X, you will always connect either the first X-1 hits or the last X-1 hits and miss everything else. Unless, of course, you're using it to soften up the enemy, in which case you'll always connect every hit.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

AI wrote:
TL wrote:Whenever you need to soften up a wounded enemy without killing it (to allow a weaker unit to sponge up the XP), you will inevitably land four hits and make the 0.5% CTK on the throwaway unit you were using to knock its HP down.
And if that by some miracle doesn't happen, the unit you were trying to level up will fail to kill or even get itself killed.
This causes the enemy unit to level.

- UMC enemies with no animation hit when you thing the fight is over.
- Bats have 80% dodge, even against magic, their attack is magical.
- chaotic units have a higher change to hit :twisted:
~ I'll heal you by 4 hp if you post next to me ~
Have a look at the Era of Strife, featuring Eltireans, Eventide, Minotaurs, Saurians and Triththa
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Woo the RNG; those who publicly criticize her will be screwed by her, regardless of skill. :P
Take a breath.
atly

Post by atly »

- The less HP a wounded unit has, the more dodgy it is.