Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Quietus
Art Contributor

fighter-axe-melee animation

Post by Quietus »

As requested by Jetryl, here is the attack animation for the dwarf fighter.

:augh: This was a painful one. im still not happy with a few of the frames, but its something at least. Took me a good 5 hours to sprite lol, so hopefully its commit worthy.

EDIT: replaced with the new image and files
Attachments
fighter-axe.zip
(26.41 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
dwarf-axe.gif
dwarf-axe.gif (7.5 KiB) Viewed 5699 times
Last edited by Quietus on May 16th, 2008, 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: fighter-axe-melee animation

Post by zookeeper »

Wow, that's an impressive animation. What about the return?
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Quietus wrote:As requested by Jetyl, here is the attack animation for the dwarf fighter.

:augh: This was a painful one. im still not happy with a few of the frames, but its something at least. Took me a good 5 hours to sprite lol, so hopefully its commit worthy.
I feel your pain, I can see a lot of things you needed to create from the void, and I must say that I'm impressed with your skill.

You said that you are not happy with a few frames, but for an untrained eye or if you aren't looking for it, I cannot find any problems with the animation at first glance.

The only thing I find however is that you made him leap forward and it looks like both his legs will get to the ground in a parallel place, but you made it so his right leg comes forward for the swossh (and not the natural way it should fall)

Aka the feets looks like they will reach ground like ":" instead of "·." and that may be the thing you aren't happy with.

Apart of that little thing, the rest looks perfect and probably is commit worthy, cheers up, because that looks like TON of work. and I like the sprite overall.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Vendanna wrote:Aka the feets looks like they will reach ground like ":" instead of "·." and that may be the thing you aren't happy with.
Um... I don't understand. Perhaps someone could tell me what he meant? :P
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Shadow Master wrote:
Vendanna wrote:Aka the feets looks like they will reach ground like ":" instead of "·." and that may be the thing you aren't happy with.
Basically, looking at the trajectory of his leap and how the unit moves his feet, he should reach the ground with both legs in parallel? tought quietus makes it so his right leg moves forward and the left leg go back (like in a step)

For that to happen, on the leap you would be able to see the right leg forward and the left leg back (since it would be the leg used to give oomph in the movement)

As it is now, the unit is leaping with both legs at the same time and would both touch the ground at the same time the axe should fall downwards (example like the leap attack from Barbarian on d2) but extraordinarily the unit instead advances his right leg like doing a step after a leap (and that looks like it would be hard to do in real life)

Sorry if I explain a bit weird but english isn't my mother lenguage.
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

zookeeper wrote:What about the return?
hah...woops :oops: ill have to make one.
Vendanna wrote:I feel your pain, I can see a lot of things you needed to create from the void, and I must say that I'm impressed with your skill.
Thank you ^^. Not as much as you would think has been created from the void. Ive used the ulfzerker that Jetyl made as a reference, the hard bit was getting the flow of the axe and shield to look smooth. About 2 hours were spent on the last two frames.. plus im a very slow spriter lol :P
Vendanna wrote: The only thing I find however is that you made him leap forward and it looks like both his legs will get to the ground in a parallel place, but you made it so his right leg comes forward for the swossh (and not the natural way it should fall)
Hmm i agree with you on this, ill simply move the right leg forward a bit on the 6th frame :)
Shadow Master wrote: Um... I don't understand. Perhaps someone could tell me what he meant?
Lol the dots represent the feet. The first shows them in line, the second shows the right infront of the left..took me a while to get it as well lol
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:D This is ... excellent. I can't see anything wrong with it just looking at it right now - if there's anything awry, it'd come out when I look at it in-game.

The one thing that's "missing", as zookeeper said, is some 2 frames of "return" - of him hopping backwards after delivering the blow, but I can take care of those. This looks like a good project for me, tonight.
Shadow Master wrote:

Those dots are meant to represent the position of the feet from a top-down view.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Yeah, Vendanna explained it to me already. I didn't expect any of you to reply so quickly, or I'd have visited the forums on time to avoid this clutter. :P
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Jetryl wrote::D This is ... excellent. I can't see anything wrong with it just looking at it right now - if there's anything awry, it'd come out when I look at it in-game.

The one thing that's "missing", as zookeeper said, is some 2 frames of "return" - of him hopping backwards after delivering the blow, but I can take care of those. This looks like a good project for me, tonight.
Have fun with it at least, tought as signaled the movement of the legs aren't sinchronized as how he would fall (otherwise its perfect) I don't have any problems with it but is anatomically hard to reproduce in real life that movement (and yes I noticed that the leaping was familiar)
Those dots are meant to represent the position of the feet from a top-down view.
Yeah, tought I should have tried to explain it a bit more to avoid confusion, I call it mea culpa but it seems that the idea behind my words was at least understandable for someone to clear the doubts. Thank you.

And I'm happy to see how the game is improving graphically, these animations are awesome. :D
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Ok ive updated the first post with the new image and files. The return is a two frame jump back. It might look a little too awkward though, but its the best i could manage. I edited his right foot on the 6th frame so that i appears dominant for landing in the 7th.

Enjoy :geek:
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Never realized the fighter had metal armor on before, always assumed it was leather or something. It fits though. Great animation.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I am impressed.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Now you only would need to replace the axe with the hammer and you would probably have another attack made and would require less work.

Unless you want to make the hammer use a side to side angle, in which case I wish you good luck.

It looks awesome now. :mrgreen:
Qes

Post by Qes »

Wowzers. Daddy-like.

I hope this gets commited soon - i wanna see my dwarven footsoldiers marching onward to glory....or hopping onward to glory - which ever suits them.
-Qes
Yes I use windows.
Yes I'm aware of what that means.
Yes I'm still gonna use windows.
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Thanks everyone for the encouraging comments :D
Vendanna wrote: Now you only would need to replace the axe with the hammer and you would probably have another attack made and would require less work.
:hmm: Well Jetryl said that this may make it harder to distinguish the axe attack from the hammer, so im considering making a different animation entirely for the hammer, but thats when i have some more time, as im currently swamped with work.