Voice Activated Commands

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Serenity

Voice Activated Commands

Post by Serenity »

I had this dream I lost my arms...and I couldn't fathom what I would do without wesnoth. Any possibilities that all commands could be voice activated for the handi-capped? That would be an awesome open source victory. For great justice.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Voice Activated Commands

Post by Ken_Oh »

There are applications and hardware outside of the game that let disabled persons use a computer that would already let them interface with Wesnoth.

Anyway, Wesnoth only requires pointing and clicking; if you can point and click on the Wesnoth icon well enough to start the game up, you won't have a problem playing it from there.
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Yeah but he dreamed that he lost his arms... How is he gonna play Wesnoth w/o arms?
Qes

Post by Qes »

Serenity wrote:I had this dream I lost my arms...and I couldn't fathom what I would do without wesnoth. Any possibilities that all commands could be voice activated for the handi-capped? That would be an awesome open source victory. For great justice.
I had a dream in which my life was ran like Wesnoth. Movement and defensive capabilities on the tiles of life.

Would it surprise any of you to learn that school only has a 30% defensive value? Which is still better, mind you, than the Ex's abode, which was a whopping 20%. I could be drowning and have better defense. I guess that figures.

Still, Ken's right, I think your standard voice-computer-software for general mouse activies would function pretty well for .... well wait. Dont voice commands generally ignore mouse usuage and use 'keyboard' functions? Technically I'm fairly sure that I could operate my entire computer without ever touching the mouse if I knew all the keyboard commands - and I'm starting to think that this is how they do voice commands - via computational understanding of keyboard shortcuts.

Wesnoth needs the point here ---> click there functionality, and I'm not confident that normal hardware/software could do it.

I sorta ended up where I started... oh well.
-Qes
Yes I use windows.
Yes I'm aware of what that means.
Yes I'm still gonna use windows.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

There are plenty of hands-free ways to give mouse input. Some that require special hardware would probably be what someone with no or limited use of limbs would use, while others apparently use nothing other than a webcam.

The point being this is outside the scope of what Wesnoth coders need to worry about.

On the other hand, there are some disabilities with which Wesnoth coders should concern themselves. They have no extra hardware or applications that let the user overcome the disability.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I'm all in favor of making Wesnoth work better for people with any kind of disability.

However, to do so we would need a specific request from someone who actually has that disability. They would work with us and provide feedback on what does and doesn't work for them.

We are not going to spend time implementing something based on a vague hypothetical about how something might benefit someone somewhere.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
TheBladeRoden

Post by TheBladeRoden »

I suppose it would be easier if the game displayed the hex coords, then you could be like "Archer at 51,55 attacks Wolf Rider at 55,55!"
Founding Father of Columbia
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

TheBladeRoden wrote:I suppose it would be easier if the game displayed the hex coords, then you could be like "Archer at 51,55 attacks Wolf Rider at 55,55!"
The game does display hex-coords. Upper-right corner.

I guess you mean the co-ords on every hex though, not having to mouse over them. That would look ugly. :)
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

TheBladeRoden wrote:I suppose it would be easier if the game displayed the hex coords, then you could be like "Archer at 51,55 attacks Wolf Rider at 55,55!"
It does sound like an interesting idea to output a text log of what's going on (to STDOUT?). That seems like it'd have applications beyond just disability support.
Serenity

Post by Serenity »

Thanks for the itneresting response, I wasn't sure that any hardware for the disabled could be applied to the game, I just thought about chess on my MAC where I could voice command my pieces around the board...that would probably be considerably harder to do in wesnoth since the scenary changes so much...but it would be cool to say "Drake Fighter Annhialate Mage at 17,18!" and have him do that...
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

irrevenant wrote:It does sound like an interesting idea to output a text log of what's going on (to STDOUT?). That seems like it'd have applications beyond just disability support.
Seconded.

Forgive me for the meaningless post.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Setsuna F. Seiei

Post by Setsuna F. Seiei »

For the coordinates, you could say something like "Show Coordinates" or maybe something easier and the coordinates will show up on each hex so it doesn't have to look ugly
ilor
Inactive Developer

Post by ilor »

yeah, like the :sc or :show_coordinates command that iirc should be in the latest dev release already ;)
Mica

Post by Mica »

This was a bit of a thread necromancy for a thread that has been solved? Not trying to get on your case, but I'm just saying...

And thanks for letting us know about it, ilor.
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
ilor
Inactive Developer

Post by ilor »

d'oh, I failed to notice the dark magic here -- and hey, it's in the changelogs :)