Ratfolk art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
TL

Ratfolk art

Post by TL »

So lately I've been messing around with the idea of a faction of anthropoid rats. Here's what I've got so far as artwork goes. Right now I think the biggest issue is probably that I cheated a bit too much with reusing feet, so I think I'm going to have to tweak the feet on a few (archer in particular has his lower leg twisted at an odd angle for his pose). Any constructive critiques?
Attachments
rats.png
rats.png (169.91 KiB) Viewed 4839 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Ratfolk art

Post by Iris »

They look nice, except that the fighters' shields look like cookies...

This should speak by itself:
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Woo, Skaven. Nice work so far.

- Chris
TheBladeRoden

Post by TheBladeRoden »

seems kind of odd having one normal-looking, albeit giant, rat amongst anthropomorphic rats.
Founding Father of Columbia
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

He's the Rat Pouncer:

Pounce
10-1 Headbutt (Impact) :lol2:

Great work, TL.
Take a breath.
TL

Post by TL »

TheBladeRoden wrote:seems kind of odd having one normal-looking, albeit giant, rat amongst anthropomorphic rats.
If I recall correctly, the Era of Myths' worg faction consists of anthropoid wolves who also happen to have ordinary wolves among their ranks. So there's a precedent.

I tried fixing up the shield. I think it looks somewhat more like wood now, although I'm not sure it looks any less like a cracker. I suppose if worse comes to worse I could try adding a proper rim on it or something, although I'd kind of like to stick to the "hey I just have a crappy hunk of plain wood for a shield" look since it gives a shabby/primitive sort of vibe.
Attachments
goon.png
goon.png (2.24 KiB) Viewed 4605 times
Scatha

Post by Scatha »

I like them, but I find the level 1 and 2 sword-and-shield types slightly too hard to distinguish at a glance. This is odd, because they actually have quite a few different features. I'm not sure, but I think that this is because the head draws attention, and the heads are (so far as I can tell) identical.
TL

Post by TL »

Mmm. I thought that might be a problem. Unfortunately headgear doesn't really mix well with their head shape and big ears--I'm already stretching things with some of the other units. I added a small bit of bling to the level 2 guy though and raised his head a notch (this is something else that had been bugging me and I should have done anyhow; he's standing straighter than any of the others, his head shouldn't be hunched as low as it was). I also upgraded his gear a bit; it's still deliberately unimpressive as far as level 2s go, but more markedly different from the level 1 version now.

Also, here's a new unit, the apothecary. No magic, just advanced knowledge of poisons (and possibly ninjutsu, since he kind of looks like a young Splinter).
Attachments
bravo.png
bravo.png (2.84 KiB) Viewed 4473 times
apothecary.png
apothecary.png (2.47 KiB) Viewed 4494 times
Geos

Post by Geos »

Very nice work I say. Lots of possibilities as a faction.
That's ridiculous, dragons have no windows...
peet

Post by peet »

I like it. Posted to the other thread.

The archers look kind of burly. Maybe this could be a level 2 archer - possibly you could make a smaller archer as level 1?

Does the sneak have any team colours on him? Perhaps a big sash around the waist.

Also, you could put whiskers on your level 2 fighter perhaps, or give him a bigger or different shaped shield...

Peet