The most fearsom player in the world

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Wesnothian

Re: The most fearsom player in the world

Post by Wesnothian »

turin wrote:
Wesnothian wrote:That's what I said too, but apperantly my post got deleted with no reason and nothing explained to me.
:roll:

First of all, your post wasn't deleted, it was split to another thread.

Secondly - no, that's not what you said. You made absolutely no suggestions as to how the influence of luck could be reduced, you just said, "do it". F50 at least proposed something concerete - "similar to the TripleA system" (which I'm not familiar with, but that's besides the point).

And you can't chalk this up to not knowing how to program - suggesting a system of reducing luck has nothing to do with being able to program it into the game.
Now why didn't you PM me or atleast somehow let me know that it was split to another thread?
How am I suppose to know that it's split? Afcourse I think that it's deleted if I don't see it anymore.

And yes that's what I did said, I never said ''do it'' or something familiar, it's like ordering someone to do something, that's not what I did, so read my post again, jeez.

I don't know how to program, so I how am I suppose to know that that's possible or not, Jesus christ please read my post clearly before you comment on it, it's incredible how some people can be ignorant, it's something that grinds my gear.
And then, Dave said "Let there be light." And there was light.
TobiasParker

Post by TobiasParker »

Wesnothian, don't worry about it. This is perhaps the most elitist game i have ever played. If you arn't a dev or a contributor you might as well just accept that you are in a lower caste than them and nothing you say matters. It makes the game only marginally less fun.
http://www.tm-productions.blogspot.com/ -halo3 Machinima project.
http://www.t-o-m-e.net - Best roguelike ever
Wesnothian

Post by Wesnothian »

TobiasParker wrote:Wesnothian, don't worry about it. This is perhaps the most elitist game i have ever played. If you arn't a dev or a contributor you might as well just accept that you are in a lower caste than them and nothing you say matters. It makes the game only marginally less fun.
And I thought a great game would have a great community but I guess I'm wrong. :(
It does pisses me off that they see non-developers as a lower class/rank and a typical regular newbie, even if it is so,
they shouldnt treat them as trash and think he's a target to try to act cool and fit with the ''Elites''.

I was wrong, this isn't a very friendly community afterall.
mameluke

Post by mameluke »

F50 wrote:I wouldn't like a no luck Wesnoth, but games where luck is so nasty are just not fun. Perhaps a Low Luck Dice mod could be made for Wesnoth similar the TripleA system?
Why can't you be satisfied with how it is when you know that such cases as described are very rare? (this is a part of randomness!)
If there are no rare lucky ore unlucky situations there is no luck at all imho!

I can understand that you don't like it when you loose very unlucky, but before asking for a change do:
* Calculate for your self how likely it is that you loose again like this.
* Try to remember how much pure luck made your bad strategies working in the past. (no affront to you, just an example)
* Save a replay and show it to the community, because maybe your feeling of being unlucky was to emotional!
* learn Poker :)
Last edited by mameluke on May 6th, 2008, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't see any problems with an elf-woman hitting somebody with a mace...
mameluke

Post by mameluke »

Wesnothian wrote:
TobiasParker wrote:Wesnothian, don't worry about it. This is perhaps the most elitist game i have ever played. If you arn't a dev or a contributor you might as well just accept that you are in a lower caste than them and nothing you say matters. It makes the game only marginally less fun.
And I thought a great game would have a great community but I guess I'm wrong. :(
It does pisses me off that they see non-developers as a lower class/rank and a typical regular newbie, even if it is so,
they shouldnt treat them as trash and think he's a target to try to act cool and fit with the ''Elites''.

I was wrong, this isn't a very friendly community afterall.
Howto:
Read all the good advices and ignore affronts/bad advices. Never ask someone to do something for you, just make proposals.
AND DON'T GO OFF-TOPIC ;)
I don't see any problems with an elf-woman hitting somebody with a mace...
sam_waz_here

Post by sam_waz_here »

It's not that the community is elitist it's just that no one here is laid back; in these forums everything has to be productive. I back this statement up with the off topic forum which is devoid of a joke thread and forum games, the closest thing being a rant thread.
Where is the love?
Wesnothian

Post by Wesnothian »

sam_waz_here wrote:It's not that the community is elitist it's just that no one here is laid back; in these forums everything has to be productive. I back this statement up with the off topic forum which is devoid of a joke thread and forum games, the closest thing being a rant thread.
In short words: They aren't Elitist but they just won't chill down, they are being hyper active nerds?
sam_waz_here

Post by sam_waz_here »

Not hyperactive nerds just how do I put this... They aren't mellow yellow. Quite right
Where is the love?
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

It's just that those who are part of of the community (artists, forum regulars, competitive players, and not just developers) who frequent the forums don't want to be maddened by time-wasting; everything should be productive. You might call it elitist, but actually it's called pragmatism; we don't post unless if it brings benefit, as many are already busy coding/drawing/creating/improving our skills/busy with real life.

All of us are very friendly but we expect that everyone behaves by following the (ideas, posting) guidelines, understanding and respecting the Wesnoth Philosophy, and conducting themselves in a mature manner (regardless of age).
Take a breath.
sam_waz_here

Post by sam_waz_here »

And that's where the difference is, although you are in your own words "friendly"; you are not here to make friends. It's all work and that's when Jack or in this case Wesnothian becomes a dull boy.

Again look at the lack of jokes and games on the off topic page.

Now I know you are devoted to your work, I won't include the life part because that should have no bearing what so ever on how you act in a forum. But in the bungie forums you will see that even the developers like to be involved with their audiance with the results of competitions and jokes they post. Over here however the most recent joke was that april fools gag that was more upsetting than funny.

Then there is the comments on credibility the regulers make which to me is utterly pointless since even a serial troll can have a good idea.
The ideas forum where ideas are met with if you can't put work into it then too bad. Generally doesn't leave the poster feeling good after they thought of their good idea and how it could help you on making wesnoth a better game.

Now I can't talk for everyone but when I first came here I thought, good game made by people doing it for the benefit of others = good community but it only took a bit of lurking to realise that in this place business and fun don't mix.

Whether you accept my opinion or not is irrelevant all that I'm telling you is the image this forum has projected and it is not a friendly one.
(I know my other posts are somewhat less serious but this deserved it so this time i'm full cereal!)
Where is the love?
Wesnothian

Post by Wesnothian »

sam_waz_here wrote:And that's where the difference is, although you are in your own words "friendly"; you are not here to make friends. It's all work and that's when Jack or in this case Wesnothian becomes a dull boy.

Again look at the lack of jokes and games on the off topic page.

Now I know you are devoted to your work, I won't include the life part because that should have no bearing what so ever on how you act in a forum. But in the bungie forums you will see that even the developers like to be involved with their audiance with the results of competitions and jokes they post. Over here however the most recent joke was that april fools gag that was more upsetting than funny.

Then there is the comments on credibility the regulers make which to me is utterly pointless since even a serial troll can have a good idea.
The ideas forum where ideas are met with if you can't put work into it then too bad. Generally doesn't leave the poster feeling good after they thought of their good idea and how it could help you on making wesnoth a better game.

Now I can't talk for everyone but when I first came here I thought, good game made by people doing it for the benefit of others = good community but it only took a bit of lurking to realise that in this place business and fun don't mix.

Whether you accept my opinion or not is irrelevant all that I'm telling you is the image this forum has projected and it is not a friendly one.
(I know my other posts are somewhat less serious but this deserved it so this time i'm full cereal!)
It's that my English is bad, or else I would have said something like this, excellent.
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Let me give a simple response (might require deeper thought), which can apply to the overall seriousness, the need to follow guidelines especially regarding ideas, and the implications of its so-called unfriendly atmosphere*:

You guys are like patients complaining that the government junior doctor isn't spending time visiting patients at home once their discharged, and saying that the doctors are just selfish because of it. And they're even worse when they don't give some experimental drugs that you've suggested to them.

:wink:

*I have to say that my experience here (my first and only regular forum), has been nothing but good overall.

(Now to continue my 4 hour drive.. :P )
Take a breath.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

How the hell can you say there aren't any jokes on the Wesnoth forums? :roll:

---

Sure, the forums aren't particularly welcoming to newcomers - but that is very different from saying they're not fun, amusing, etc. That April Fools gag? Some, I'll say it, fools took it the wrong way, but that really just made it all the more amusing for the rest of us. There's actually a lot of humor in OT, you just have to know where to look for it. And hell, the entire ideas forum is one big laugh to most of the forum regulars.

Also, most of the forums' humor comes not in entire topics devoted to inanity, but from random comments in threads. The humor's just not very accessible to newcomers because there's a bunch of inside jokes, jokes you need to know the speaker to get, etc.

Basically, if you come here expecting it to be the typical screw-around-and-post-random-[censored] forum, you'll be disappointed. But if you come here primarily to work on Wesnoth, you'll soon see that, in addition to being good for working on Wesnoth, these forums are hilarious...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Wesnothian

Post by Wesnothian »

turin wrote:if you come here primarily to work on Wesnoth, you'll soon see that, in addition to being good for working on Wesnoth, these forums are hilarious...
In other words: If you aren't a developer, you can f*** off. If you are a developer, welcome!

So nicely put.
ChibiDwarf

Post by ChibiDwarf »

Would you people please COOL OFF!? If you're going to make rows, get out of my topic! I'm here to open a discussion on the topic of 'luck' not developing!