Defense of the Goblin II - A new version, a new world!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MCP

Re: Defense of the Goblin II - A new version, a new world!

Post by MCP »

Next up,
* implemented peasant limit.
- Right now base limit is at four.
* Added option to shop to upgrade number of available peasants, 100 gold for +2 peasants max, and adds +100 extra to the next cost. Not balanced yet but it is a start.

Next steps:
Check balance of four peasants vs random heroes.

edit: number 2, no longer need help with 'rand'. It was a problem with variable "equals".
WML is [censored].
numerical_equals required where numerical_greater_than not required.
so bloody difficult to find the stuff on the wiki too.
MCP

Post by MCP »

* Bank Robber blade steals 5% now and is a 1-2 default instead of 3-1. Seeing as 2% was useless.
* Changed terrain purchasing options: hills instead of mountains, fords instead of water, forests, grassland, and added mushrooms.

baufo needs to stop doing finals or whatever and message me to get this thing.
MCP

Post by MCP »

It is has become more balanced now thanks to a game zeus and I played.

Peasant upgrade costs:
HP +8: 56
Damage +1: 22
Strikes +1: 39
Increase Limit +2: 125(+100 per purchase to next cost, so second one is 225)
- base limit of 4 peasants.

I was able to eventually win with exponential health increase on heroes at 10% + 10 and banking. In fact magic gate is almost certain to win since I basically fought off the peasants with 2 heroes.

So just going creeps is probably not going to work anymore if they are disciplined with their heroes and banking, there has to be more creative strategies for the use of creeps which is what I've been pushing this for. However in the short term they still look very good.

Edit:
Going to change the cost of movement to a scale based on character's current movement.
So going from 4 to 5 will be cheaper than going from 8 to 9.
Some kind of scale(starting movement):
4. 10
5. 15
6. 20
7. 25
8. 30(and +10 after that like before)
Something like that where going from 8 to 9 movement always costs 30.
MCP

Post by MCP »

update,
I got movement 'working',
there are probably still bugs and definitely there is balancing to be done.

But it will be cheaper for a 4 movement character to buy movement than an 8 movement character, by a significant margin.
MCP

Post by MCP »

I guess all that is left is to finish updating the weapons,
so I far I added slow 1-1 ranged or melee for 50 gold, original dotg had 3-1 ranged or melee slow for 62 gold. I also got rid of some useless weapons.

Then I want to add back the custom peasants. I always thought it was fun to buy silly but useful peasants to kick ass. Obviously the yeti was too strong, so I'd have to work on it a bit.
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

Perhaps a Red Mage and/or an Elvish Hero for bigger creeps?
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
MCP

Post by MCP »

Hmm red mage for X gold...

I definitely want to add back the berserker, it is only 2 rounds max so it's not potentially game breaking like it used to be. But then again that's why you'd buy them.

Also these extra AI units are independent of the peasant cap, but they may have their own limit, which can only be found after they've been implemented.

Also I need to upload this version to the server soon, but I haven't read the wiki article I saw about that yet.
MCP

Post by MCP »

So far I've added:
Yeti
Lancer
Silver Mage(50% fire/ice resistance)
and to be even crazier than a yeti on crack in an airport, I've added the
Fire Dragon(insane)

I'm working on balancing them, either by cost or by fixing their initial damages. A normal fire dragon should be at least 250 gold.

Also the old system will be in place once I'm done, that is when you purchase a creep upgrade it increases the price of these custom creeps, while it also diminishes by 5% a turn(or so).

I've written spawn functions for each of these where I can easily change the damage, health, strikes, resistances, whatever for balancing reasons.
For instance as a trial I've removed the -20% pierce resistance from the Lancer as a test. I was also thinking of making them 20-2 instead of 13-3 to make them pretty damn deadly.
Same with silver mage, make them have fewer strikes with more damage(meaning buy more strikes before buying these).

edit:
Also maybe add in the the net hunter or something as a slow counter to peasants maybe...hmm
MCP

Post by MCP »

So returning the custom creeps to their default values and trying out some things:
When a strike is upgraded, it adds 30 gold to the price of custom creeps.
When damage or health is upgraded, it adds 5 gold to the price.

Problem:
Returning the custom creeps to their standard stats I have to change their prices so they aren't broken. So the silver mage is 40 gold, berserker is 60 gold, lancer is 120 gold, yeti is 140 gold, dragon is 200 gold. The price of these units drops by 5% every turn. The problem is over many creep upgrades and many turns, the only economic choice is the dragon, because the difference in cost between a dragon and a mage drops significantly. Ex: mage costs ~220 while dragon costs ~265. No reason to not buy the dragon over a mage except in specific cases.

So it should be adding a percentage to the price of custom creeps for each upgrade. Also, it should only change the price of a unit if it will affect the unit's stats. A ranged strike should not raise the cost of a yeti.

The problem is I haven't a clue yet what percentage of a custom creep's original price it should be adding. In the mean time I have to implement it, but please just throw out ideas how this problem could be solved.
MCP

Post by MCP »

So Zeus told me the obvious of course, the cost of creeps should over time converge because their damages are also converging. So last post ignore it.

Ranged upgrades do not affect the cost of melee only units, and the same for melee upgrades.
I also am trying different costs for the strikes and health/damage, +30 gold for strikes was a bit too much.

I was contemplating a variable percentage to reduce the cost of creeps after an upgrade is purchased. A minimum of 5% per turn, but once an upgrade is purchased, it will upgrade for X% so the next turn it will reduce the cost by (5+X)%, and so on it can drop the total by 1/2 per turn until it reaches the minimum of 5%. So if enough upgrades are purchased, it can go up to 25%, then next turn drops by 13%, then 7%, then back to 5%.

I added soulless, blood bats, wraiths, shadows, chocobone, and removed the silver mage.
I will later add a cuttle fish(3-10 melee tentacles, and a ranged ink squirt that slows I think).

I have to fix one thing with the soulless, when they kill another creep they spawn new corpses, but when those corpses die they affect the peasant cap limit.

But otherwise last night I did the first zombie flick in wesnoth, I bought 15 soulless at the beginning for side 1, but side 2 survived and came back pretty strong.
MCP

Post by MCP »

I uploaded a version to the campaign server.
Baufo hasn't replied to my emails or on this forum, so I just published a new version,
you'll see two copies of 'Defense of the Goblin' on the campaign server,
one is version 2.2c from 'Baufo' and the new one is version 2.3 from authors 'Baufo and MCP'

The very initial upload was linking to the wrong folder, but about 10-15 minutes later I fixed it.

Now it's to 2.3.1 and seems to work.
MCP

Post by MCP »

I noticed when one has only DotG II CC, games made with the old version DotG II appear as DotG II CC. Sorry at this point I don't know if there is anything I can do unless Baufo responds and lets me over-write his version of DotG II. So just be aware of it. I'm not sure what happens if someone makes a game with DotG II and you join with only DotG II CC installed, if this creates conflicts.

Also I'm changing the amount of invested money(in the bank) lost when a hero dies from 30% down to two turns worth of investment at 19%. 0.9*0.9=0.81, so 1-.81=19%. 30% is over three turns worth of banking, that is too much of an edge.

I think TP scrolls are enough to make people want to go for hero kills that have a low percentage, it's another way of not dieing.

I think I have a few more polishing changes to make before I release 2.3.2.

edit: Well I made a few more minor changes to the shop and then uploaded 2.3.2.
JW

Post by JW »

Wow....after my finals are over I might have to reinstall Wesnoth to try out this new mod! Looks like you've been hard at work!!
MCP

Post by MCP »

Hey JW I remember you,
just post here when you're done with finals and let me know when you want to play.

Zeus and I are still really rusty and need better opponents.
MCP

Post by MCP »

I'm working on some updates/ideas:

1. Make it so when someone shops, everyone knows they are shopping. So far this is impossible.
2. HP upgrade now costs 25 gold and it also heals +10 hp(costs 1 gold to heal 10 hp).
3. When someone kills a hero, everyone gets the standard 25 gold, but I want to add something new. The person who dies loses 18%(2 turns interest) of their bank, I want the person who kills a hero to get some or all of this gold. Not sure what is balanced, probably 10% or +10 minimum. Bank robber blade/bow will double this bonus.
4. Wraiths might be too cheap as a custom creep, berserkers are too expensive, and lancers are too expensive as well.
5. Custom creep costs drop by X% next turn for every upgrade one purchases. So the next turn it could be 5+10% of a price drop, to help make custom creeps more viable early on, to help speed up the game even more.

Zeus remembered why the old dotg games could last for 35+ turns regularly. A side could purchase terrain changes to block easy access to the goblin. I don't want to change it back so that it becomes easy to defend, but I may add something where it is easier to get to the goblin, besides the gate. In fact I may eventually get rid of the gate if enough other terrain changes warrant it.