Dwarven Minigunner Test

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ASK

Dwarven Minigunner Test

Post by ASK »

This is my first time posting to this board, so take it with a serious grain of salt. A lot of you have been talking about how some of the factions aren't quite complete yet, so I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring. Tell me what you think of the Dwarven Hydra Guard.[/img]
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

This looks like a futuristic soldier in the year 3087!
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

"Oh my god who gave that dwarf a plasma cannon! AAAARG HE SAW ME!"

, realy it's just a recolor with a futuristic cannon; nothing usefull about it I guess.
XJaPaN

Post by XJaPaN »

We should remember it when we start working on Spacenoth :)
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Contrary to what you may believe, this is not Wargammer 40K

Still when Dave starts working on Wesnoth 2525, we'll get you to do the dwarves. A futuristic Wesnoth would be really cool/really corny depending on how you did it.

If some artist wanted to spend a year making a whole new set of terrains and unit images you could make a mod for Wesnoth set on an alien plant with new races (or maybe just elves/dwarves/orcs/humans) with lots of guns and futuristic tech. It would take forever to do all the new artwork, but I see no reason why the current engine couldn't work just as well for a futuristic strategy game.
ASK

Re: Hydra Guard

Post by ASK »

I guess I probably could have done that a little better... The look I was going for is a little bit more like the original Gatling: A multi-barreled rifle that would make it so you didn't have to reload as often, allowing a dwarf either advanced from the Thunderguard or as a fourth-level dwarven gunner to shoot multiple times. The barrels would rotate, to allow the next barrel in line to fire (before the inevitable reload.)

The body itself is a direct rip from the Dragonguard, if you couldn't guess... And that looks a little like a gold-colored Doom Trooper, with the pump-action shotgun look, now that I take a closer look.

If it's taken as a split on the Thunderguard, then a Hydra Guard could have multiple shots of the Thunderguard's thunderstick.

If it's taken as a level 4 Dwarf, then I would lower the damage slightly and give it multiple shots, or have it shoot off the three shots at the same time with a slight (20-30 points?) damage boost.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Well the dwarf dragonguard looks good because the colors look like an actual metal, gold; however this bright deep red color wasn't used that much in medeavil times; except perhaps to paint shields etcetera.
ASK

Coloration

Post by ASK »

A good point, that. Here's a slightly darker (blood red, anyone?) enamled armor. I could probably throw in some glass effect for the shine enamels might have, or swap out to a more iron- or silver-type coloration.
Roel

Post by Roel »

Aleksi wrote:This looks like a futuristic soldier in the year 3087!
I'm planning on breeding dwarfes in 2965 and inventing a plasma gun in 3055 so I think I can manage to train the dwarfs to use plasma guns before summer of 3087