The most fearsom player in the world

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ChibiDwarf

The most fearsom player in the world

Post by ChibiDwarf »

...is someone who have all the heaven's luck bestowed upon him...you won't be able to laugh at me when you have a single Elvish Archer kill 8 of your unit AND your commander(and it wasn't even in forest--it's just in my castle!)

I know luck is a factor of this game, and I appreciate that as it makes this game really interesting, and allows me to blame my loose on it, but is there any specific actions can one take to lower the influence of luck to the game?
TobiasParker

Re: The most fearsom player in the world

Post by TobiasParker »

not really, i had a match the other night where my opponents wose hit 11 hits in a row on plains. it just sucks. Lets play a match, a friendly one.
http://www.tm-productions.blogspot.com/ -halo3 Machinima project.
http://www.t-o-m-e.net - Best roguelike ever
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Well, to be frank, they are making a luckless mod of Wesnoth for those people who absolutely can't handle luck.

But I would urge you to modify your tactics to try to incorporate luck. Perhaps you're only planning on at max an extra 10% of hits from your opponent: plan for an extra 30%. In wesnoth, probably the most core skill is anticipating and adapting with the changing battlefield.
Trau

Post by Trau »

ChibiDwarf wrote:but is there any specific actions can one take to lower the influence of luck to the game?
Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. :eng:
ChibiDwarf

Post by ChibiDwarf »

TobiasParker wrote:not really, i had a match the other night where my opponents wose hit 11 hits in a row on plains. it just sucks. Lets play a match, a friendly one.
You know how many hits does it takes for an Archer/Sharpshooter with their fist to take out 8 orc grunts? And it managed to dodge all the killing blows, day and night...
Trau wrote:
ChibiDwarf wrote:but is there any specific actions can one take to lower the influence of luck to the game?
Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. :eng:
I always make margins and assume I loose at least a unit in every attack and keep reserve troops, but having a single Archer take out 8 Grunts AND my leader(a Troll Rockslinger) is a little too over the top...
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I'd be interested to see that replay :shock:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
ChibiDwarf

Post by ChibiDwarf »

Sapient wrote:I'd be interested to see that replay :shock:
Next time something like this happens I'll make sure to save a replay--I was too shocked to do so at that time.

EDIT: My virgin victory against my friend--the victory was actually brought upon me by sheer luck(pay attention to the last unit dealing the killing blow!)
Attachments
2p_-_The_Freelands_replay.gz
(9.9 KiB) Downloaded 355 times
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

ChibiDwarf wrote:EDIT: My virgin victory against my friend--the victory was actually brought upon me by sheer luck(pay attention to the last unit dealing the killing blow!)
A very fitting end to a completely random game.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
vicza

Post by vicza »

ChibiDwarf wrote:I always make margins and assume I loose at least a unit in every attack and keep reserve troops, but having a single Archer take out 8 Grunts AND my leader(a Troll Rockslinger) is a little too over the top...
It's even technically impossible. An Elvish Archer cannot kill 8 Grunts and still remain archer. :wink:
ChibiDwarf

Post by ChibiDwarf »

vicza wrote:
ChibiDwarf wrote:I always make margins and assume I loose at least a unit in every attack and keep reserve troops, but having a single Archer take out 8 Grunts AND my leader(a Troll Rockslinger) is a little too over the top...
It's even technically impossible. An Elvish Archer cannot kill 8 Grunts and still remain archer. :wink:
It started off as an archer, and upgraded into a sharpshooter which punched my leader to death.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

lmfao.

Ask the other players for the replay :P
F50

Post by F50 »

I wouldn't like a no luck Wesnoth, but games where luck is so nasty are just not fun. Perhaps a Low Luck Dice mod could be made for Wesnoth similar the TripleA system?
Wesnothian

Post by Wesnothian »

F50 wrote:I wouldn't like a no luck Wesnoth, but games where luck is so nasty are just not fun. Perhaps a Low Luck Dice mod could be made for Wesnoth similar the TripleA system?
That's what I said too, but apperantly my post got deleted with no reason and nothing explained to me.
And then, Dave said "Let there be light." And there was light.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Wesnothian wrote:That's what I said too, but apperantly my post got deleted with no reason and nothing explained to me.
:roll:

First of all, your post wasn't deleted, it was split to another thread.

Secondly - no, that's not what you said. You made absolutely no suggestions as to how the influence of luck could be reduced, you just said, "do it". F50 at least proposed something concerete - "similar to the TripleA system" (which I'm not familiar with, but that's besides the point).

And you can't chalk this up to not knowing how to program - suggesting a system of reducing luck has nothing to do with being able to program it into the game.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
ChibiDwarf

Post by ChibiDwarf »

Unfortunately we played on the same machine, so there was no back-up replay...

Luck usually shows their value more on smaller maps. When we are playing large maps where both side's population goes over 30 the effect of luck starts to wear down. Even if an extremely lucky skeleton appeared it didn't change the outcome of the game. 8 units now feels like, nothing, compared to the 100+ units of mine he slaughtered...