"Fantasy Wars"

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

suiraCLAW

Re: "Fantasy Wars"

Post by suiraCLAW »

Dave wrote:Completely out of curiosity, how does the combat system in this game work? How much randomness does it have compared to Wesnoth?
Little, only randomness sits in that if the formula for damage doesn't get round numbers, a dice is rolled to see wether the damage is rounded up or rounded down. So if the damage should be 5.2, there's a 80% chance you do 5 damage and a 20% chance you do 6 damage, or that's my interpretation (I didn't do any deep going research).

Benefits from the location translates into bonus points for both damage and defence.
Last edited by suiraCLAW on May 4th, 2008, 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trau

Post by Trau »

Can you tell me a little about what the factions play like? Like, what sorts of units are in the game, are there a lot of "oddball" units or are factions mostly mirrored, are there any particularly fun units, do units "level up" into others or is there city building and tech trees? Is there a magic system and how does it work?

Y'know, all that fun stuff.
suiraCLAW

Post by suiraCLAW »

Trau wrote:Can you tell me a little about what the factions play like? Like, what sorts of units are in the game, are there a lot of "oddball" units or are factions mostly mirrored, are there any particularly fun units, do units "level up" into others or is there city building and tech trees? Is there a magic system and how does it work?
Almost mirror factions, sadly. I'd also like to note that the "elven and dwarf" faction is pretty much campaign only and shouldn't really be considered much.

I believe the unit tree's of the 2 most important factions can be viewed on the main site:
http://www.fantasywars-thegame.com/ -> skip -> "the game" -> races -> see the aborescence (no direct link since it's in flash).
There aren't much oddballs units at all. Everybody has a melee attack and several units have some kind of "second" attack, like:
- skirmish: you don't take retaliation when attacking and you retaliate twice when defending. Obviously only used on the fighters with the worst attacks in the game, like scouts.
- charge: simply extra damage when attacking. Plus, you don't take retaliation if you kill the opposing unit first.
- missile: obviously, ranged. You never take retaliation and you can attack 2 tiles away (3 for siege, more with certain abilities). Also used for the "bombing units" and hero mages.

However, there's also some system called "perks", which makes the biggest difference between units. Some of these perks are gained naturally and some can be found when leveling . Units can level up to 5 times, but their appearance doesn't change.

Sorts of traits/perks are:
- Segmented mouvement. This means you can ignore ZoC, that you can attack and retreat in one turn and that, unlike other units, you don't have to use all movement points in one go. Every scout has this, but almost 30% of the units can learn this.
- Active buffs. Gives an unit a certain bonus but prevent it from attacking that turn. Limited charges.
- Passive buffs. You know it. Things like "+2 melee" or "protection versus charge".
- MAGIC. You use an effect wherever you want (it doesn't work in the fog of war though), but with limited charges. However, you can't recruit units with those perks, ever.

No city building, no tech trees. Units can level up to 5 times, but their appearance doesn't change. After some missions you unlock better units, which often allows you to upgrade your previous units for a fee.

In short, pretty much everything has been done before and it is stereotype.
Trau

Post by Trau »

Two nearly mirror factions?

... I think I'll pass :?
suiraCLAW

Post by suiraCLAW »

To specificy: the differences can be summed up:
- mirror fighters often have somewhat different abilities available on level up. (although the grand majority of abilities are available to both factions)
- other magic and quite a bit of difference between the campaign heroes
- humans have an extra archer, orcs have trolls. Also, unlike the trolls humans have a very weak air unit (that should be upgraded asap).
- change in appearance
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

You know, reading this thread gave me the thought:
Flametrooper's Guide to Naming Your Fantasy/Fiction Game
Simply choose a different word from each one of these lists:

First Word
  • Fantasy
    Adventure
    Hero's
    Warrior's
    Knight's
    Last / Final
    Ultimate
    Extreme
    World of
    Battle (+of/for)
    War (+of/for)
    Tales of
    Kingdom of
    Dragon
    Elf (or elven,elvish and variants thereof)
    Enchanted
Second Word
  • Quest (this should almost always be included if it's an RPG)
    Battlefields
    War(s)
    Adventure
    Story
    Tales
    Light
    Magic
    Dragon
    General
    Commander
    King
    Kingdom
    Knight
I think that should be pretty comprehensive.

...I'm sorry, that added nothing to the discussion. We're talking about a game, right? I'll go check it out. Not making any promises about playing, though. I hardly have the time/inclination to play Wesnoth any more even...
Trau

Post by Trau »

First word: Adventure

Second word: Adventure

Adventure Adventure...

I think I failed :augh:
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

yeah, yeah - Kingdom of Kingdom, Tales of Tales, Dragon Dragon, etc.

I think World of Dragon would be fun though. :P
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

I wrote: Simply choose a different word from each one of these lists:
although you could do things like "Kingdom of King" which are technically different words but still sounds like it's by the Department of Redundancy Department. Hang on I think I should add "Queen" to the list to not be gender-biased and also so someone can make a game called "Kingdom of Queen".
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

"Kingdom of Queen"
Sounds like a fan site.
Trau wrote:First word: Adventure

Second word: Adventure

Adventure Adventure...

I think I failed :augh:
I broke laughing. Hilarious smiley.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Fosprey

Post by Fosprey »

i got the game, and my first impression is that they took more time doing grapchis than actual gameplay.
The gameplay is far more complex that in wesnoth, but it doesn't seem to really add any deep on the game, or at least not a deep worth of all the extra things you have to learn and have control of in the game.
It seems a more flashy wesnoth clone, with a higher learning curve, and more micromanagment and complexity that actually adds nothing to the game.
On the positive side, the fog of war, wich is horrible handled in wesnoth, is pretty wel done in this game.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Fosprey wrote:i got the game, and my first impression is that they took more time doing grapchis than actual gameplay.
Isn't that just about any commercial game these days? :)
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Fosprey

Post by Fosprey »

Sadly a big yes.
Graphics got "improved" over the years in games(i personally think all new 3d graphics on most parts aren't good for the porpouse of gaming), gameplay didn't so much.
roadkill

Post by roadkill »

I bought this, I played it for a bit, got bored and came back to Wesnoth.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Because Fantasy Wars did not use as much necromancy as Wesnoth?
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time