RuneScape

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

FireMaster

RuneScape

Post by FireMaster »

I love this game because of the fact that the are over 100 quests which are full of puzzles and stuff. The only thing I don't like is all the rich players who spend all day every day getting cash and getting the good stuff when all they do is click,run to the bank and click some more. It's stupid that they are the best (as in strongest) players around.

I am currently lvl 71 with 44 thousand gp (not much) ah well........

What does everyone else think?
Just because I'm a master of fire doesn't mean I'll light your "uber candle"
turin
Lord of the East

Re: RuneScape

Post by turin »

I played it five or so years ago, so I can't really comment on how it is currently, but my impressions were:

* Stupid quests that made no sense, plot-wise, and were often not at all fun (collect X amount of X item - what's the skill in that?)
* Combat didn't involve any thought at all - just go up to the enemy and click on them.
* Not a particularly good community.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Jodwin

Post by Jodwin »

More brainless clicking than in any RTS games. :|
Yes I use windows, too.
Yes I too am aware of what that means.
Yes I'm still gonna use windows too.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

:|

i played it for a month or something in 2001, and already then i thought "damn its so primitive compared to offline games". im not 100% mmorpg hater, but some like Pardus show innovation, while some Runescape do not.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I played for a while, completed all the free quests apart from the dragon slaying one and the co-op one. Found it a bit boring tbh.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

Before i had my psp i was addicted to runescape :P Theres was a time of roughly one year where i was playing crazy, like 2-3 hours per day, and others times i would just play whenever i can. Initially i thought of it as a fun way to waste time, and an escape from the real world. But now i just think of it as a sub-par game with a ridiculous amount of clicking and senseless gameplay.

Currently i have a hefty amount of schoolwork and other after-school activities(hanging out with friends), so i only play it on occasions where i am really bored and have nothing to do on the comp, and possibily quitting it once high school is starting to get really tense.

P.S: in case you were wondering, my runescape account is almost 4 years old, i have over 18 million gp in total wealth, and a skilled lvl 94 account plus 3 other decent accounts.
Have no fear, Vlad is here!
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

I played it when I was 11-12 (like most of the people who have played it)
That really seems to be its primary player age range. It's a good game if you have the maturity and free time of the avg. 12-yr-old; then you grow up and move on from it, at least I did.

Pretty much my whole sixth grade class including me was addicted to it, actually. It was kinda pathetic.
hey.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Flametrooper wrote:I played it when I was 11-12 (like most of the people who have played it)
That really seems to be its primary player age range. It's a good game if you have the maturity and free time of the avg. 12-yr-old; then you grow up and move on from it, at least I did.

Pretty much my whole sixth grade class including me was addicted to it, actually. It was kinda pathetic.
Yeah, good point. I played it when I was 12, then started playing Wesnoth a few months after I stopped playing Runescape. Definitely a good decision.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

I feel so... pure.

I never played it when "everybody" else did, and I never played pokemon either. I wonder if I can weather the Facebook craze... (although I do hear it has a Wesnoth group. And a Jethro Tull group! I don't know if I can resist.)
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Don't! I myself played runescape for about 3 hours (someone tried to get me to join in on a project to make a game "just like that one", 3 wasted hours later I decided to ignore his future gamewriting plans for a couple years), but managed to stay away from all the other crap out there.
The more you hear "everybody does/uses/whatever X", the more you should stay away from it, especially if that's it's primary advantage over "all the those other things". People are stupid, especially in masses. ;)
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Because if everybody jumped off a bridge, would you do it too? [/momvoice]

Everybody uses the Internet these days. Don't you get in with that sort of nonsense. Because if everyone's doing it, it must be bad.
(I mean, it's a series of tubes. I got an Internet yesterday...)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

AI wrote:Don't! I myself played runescape for about 3 hours (someone tried to get me to join in on a project to make a game "just like that one", 3 wasted hours later I decided to ignore his future gamewriting plans for a couple years), but managed to stay away from all the other crap out there.
The more you hear "everybody does/uses/whatever X", the more you should stay away from it, especially if that's it's primary advantage over "all the those other things". People are stupid, especially in masses. ;)
1UP
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Matthi205

Post by Matthi205 »

I am 11 :!: :!: :!: I have played it When I was 10. :!: :!: :!: The stupiddest web game ever :!: :!: :!: If anyone will use my account:
password:suchen205
username:Matthi205
You can use it.I don´t play.
Matthi205

Post by Matthi205 »

:!: I have getted 1.2 before 2 years :!: :D BfW is much better than "Runescape" :P :!: :!:
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

Please don't double post, and using too many :!: isn't exactly the best way to express your emotions.
Have no fear, Vlad is here!