Scenario 9: The Valley of Death

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

cnhn

a strategy for valley of death

Post by cnhn »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

medium, v1.2.1

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

very

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

sort seemed forced the whole trusting the princess thing

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

figuring out how to get the various armies to string out

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

So my strategy was a large number of horsemen with konrad sent straight, and fast towards the east I hit the lines hard and managed to kill the leader on the third turn. I moved konrad over to that castle and built a few more mages to absorb the ghosts and ...er gusy with the red sword who always recharge. at the same time I sent my gk and delfador straight to the west and hid them while slowly sliding them north around the mountains to aim for the northwest leader. I timed them to the arrival of the the mages who immediately went for the southwest leader.
by the point the mages arrived, everything else was caught between konrad and their leaders. the leaders got wiped out and I finished with a time bonus.
Coz

Post by Coz »

hard, v1.2.2

Somewhat. I am using Wesnoth in spanish, and while the objective to finish the scenario was proper, the bonus was translated as what in english would be 'Kill all the cockroaches', thought I gathered it was a translation error.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

I would think that Konrad and his group are pretty easy to deceive, since they trusted someone they just battled with... plus, the elf from the high elven council mentions holy water, as if there is none on the map(even thought you know there is); if that's the way it's meant to be, then why bring up something that you can't do? (mention holy water when you don't have any).

Avoiding fights between the enemy army and the characters that cause me to lose if they are killed.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Place the holy water in the south part of the map closer to the center; while it doesn't makes a difference to my strategy, it would make more feasible sending a slow but powerful unit to get it, and defend the center castle.

After many, many, many tries I discarded fleeing with all my units or beating a Lich then stay at it's base; I could never flee fast enough or my protecting units wouldn't be able to take all the attacks, and to beat a Lich, I had to take substancial losses on my high level units(mainly because of lucky hits from the Chocobos and the Revenants during the night).

My strategy was to use the holy water on a lancer (level 2 horsemen) and a horsemen that needed just to fight once a level 1 unit to level up; killed the northern and eastern Liches with during the day.

I also recruited as many thieves as I could, and had my three important characters to flee north east while the thieves kept the hordes of undead busy for enough time for the white mages to appear and kill the southern Lich.

Basically to kill the three Liches, I just waited till they lowered their guard and attacked with nearby units with holy attacks.
Wen Yang

Post by Wen Yang »

Normal, 1.2.4

As clear as it gets.

Kinda weird that they'd trust someone they just fought against...

Finishing with acceptable losses. Kinda hard to survive with no losses here, and even harder when you tried killing all the liches. What I did was concentrate my defenses to the north and east, sending two knights to pick up the holy water. The defense line than converges east, punching through the WC-wall, then killing the east lich and holding the forces sent their way by the south lich, while said two knights assassinate the north and south liches, usually with one hit. =)

8. Great fun. =)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Maybe make it so the liches are not so easy to assassinate.
The first technique is the last. The beginner and the master behaves in the same way. Knowledge is a full circle. - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings.
cph

Post by cph »

1) Medium; 1.2.4
2) 3
3) Clear
4) Clear but...
5) Messed up one time, got the elf lord killed. Apart from that, no problem surviving.

Must remember not to hire elven fighters as fodder for this one - their melee is too good against the corpses, so they kill one, get attacked again & repeat.

Finished with deep negative gold - can't hold any villages for long - but doesn't seem to matter.

6) 10 - this is classic wargaming material, breaking out of an encirclement by attacking out one way.
7) The undead levels just seem a little short on dialog. Maybe some contextual dialog ("Look, the elves are all headed south, after them!") but maybe that's tough to do and have it be appropriate. How about some taunts - "Soon your men will join my walking corpses!" :D
Panpiper

Post by Panpiper »

Medium

9 to figure out. 6 once I knew what I was doing.

Hard to be clearer.

Ok I guess. I honestly don't pay much attention.

I am very reluctant to part with a leveled up unit. In this scenario, that can be very tricky.

Lots. once I knew what I was doing.

I would like to see 'some' sort of reward for successfully killing all three liches.

It took some serious thinking as to how to finish this scenario. As it is, despite making a very serious mistake, I killed all three liches in my first try.

The mistake was in my initial deployment. I was intending to send my 6XP to level knight and a newly recruited horseman to pick up the holywater in the south east. To the north west I meant to send a newly leveled knight and my full paladin. Instead I sent both my paladin and the about to level knight to the north west and the two newbie horsemen to the south west. As it turned out, this worked in my favor.

I also recruited two elvish scouts and an elvish archer. The archer I sent to the forest to the north west to distract a few bad guys for a couple of turns. The elvish scouts headed east then north east grabbing villages. The idea was to get the bad guys chasing the scouts while my main force (three white mages, one mage of light, two elvish shyde and the starting heroes) went south to take that lich.

The initial plan was for the scouts to draw the enemy out of position so my two horse teams could sweep behind the liches armies to the north and west and kill the liches from behind. The drawing off of the north and west armies by the scouts would also serve to keep those armies off of my main force while they cut through the southern lich army.

Now, as to my plan surviving contact with the enemy...

I discovered my mistake with the horse deployments when picking up the holy water. I decided to risk a charge in the west anyway as it would serve to distract the hordes. The western fight lasted all of one turn and then I sacrificed my newbie horseman to allow the knight to escape and run to my main army, tail between legs. The scouts grabbed villages all right (which made them worth while I suppose) but did not succeed in diverting the attention of the armies. The elvish archer did get attention and five bad guys killed him. As it turns out, my mistake with the horsemen and the short attack did serve a good end. All the western walking dead were now on the southerly side of the map. The north lich army had headed towards my archer and then south to my main group.

This left the field clear for the paladin and about to be grand knight to sweep up the left side of the map and hit the north lich without a single one of his army even close. With the north army headed south and the west army pulled south by the aborted charge, the field was wide open for a three turn unopposed charge by those two level three horsemen! My main force handily wiped out the south lich (four white mages kick undead arse). They holed up killing off the few north army undead that reached it each turn, the walking corpses never made it to contact. The knight's charge might have been tricky as the western lich had summoned a couple more corpses that turn and they might have posed a 'zone of control' problem. However at the beginning of turn twelve, my paladin was six hexes from the western lich, so the lich decided to get into the fight and came to meet the paladin. Let's hear it for charge bonus!

I could write a novel around that plot.
LCV

Re: Scenario Review: (HttT) Valley of Death

Post by LCV »

(1) Medium

(2) 9 - The senerio wasn't difficult, but rather tedious.

(3) Clear

(4) Meh. When I got to turn 12 the map was swamped with more then enhough zombies to everything I had left, the ending of "they can't keep up their attack much longer" didn't really seem to match the situation.

(5) Most of the problems came from keeping the essential characters alive due to a lack of leveled mages.

(6) 2 - I did not enjoy this senerio at all.

(7) The bottles of holy water need to be placed closer to the fort, they're to far away to be used by un-mounted units.

The East lich needs fewer zombies, waiting for all those zombies to make their move gets rather tedious when you're trying the map for the 3th time.

There should be a big source of income to train up mages, and replace the fallen.

I didn't have any good anti undead units. Apparently I had to level up mages or horseman to fight the undead but without knowing what's to come it's pretty hard to anticipate and without an income it's impossible to adapt. I also did not feel like going back to train them up.

With allot of reloading I've finally beaten the map by attacking the north lich and then holding out in the mountains.
The Avenger that I had send away to collect the south holy water managed to draw away the south liches forces long enough.
TGM: Orb

Post by TGM: Orb »

Challenging. Took out one lich (though basically by accident)
8. Ouch. Took three reloads, and some good luck.
Perfectly.
Clear. Not much plot/character-related dialogue, so interesting is moot, though I think the end could have been done more dramatically, rather than just characters 'sensing' that the undead would stop. I'd have given a line to the surviving lichs, here.
Where to begin? No less than 3 plot-critical characters to protect from attacks on all sides. Limited gold. High damage attackers. Mobile attackers.
7. Difficult, but very enjoyable. Besides, seeing a 4- first level -elf distraction squad take out a lich was the most entertaining thing in the campaign so far. Forced me to use my brain more than previous scenarios, and I can see some replay value and variation based on how much gold you have left over.
Not many, I'd have altered the dialogue a little to give a slightly more authentic feel to the victory.
ilderen

Post by ilderen »

Hard

Clear. Except for bonus for defeating the enemy leaders. I still have no idea what the bonus is.

Clear. Medium interesting.

I always spend a lot of time choosing the right recalls and recruits as well as the right place to recall/recruit.

It is very frustrating that the nature of the killing bonus is consealed, even when you actulla kill all leaders.
Buddy Jimm

Post by Buddy Jimm »

Medium 1.3.17

4. Dropped mermaid initiates in my central moat, then ran south, dispatching calvary for the holy water. Once you're holed up in your new house, turn 12 arrives without being completely overwhelmed(though it would've gone from easy to impossible within a couple turns, and to be fair, I've never made any attempt to kill all three liches).

Clear. I really like how WE know to just survive and Konrad doesn't, and that's pretty cool (since there's not much of a reasonable way for him to know, and it should come as a surprise when the undead move off anyway).

I think instead of 'feeling' we have survived, let one of the remaining liches(if any) pipe up and say something like 'Daylight comes and I tire of this. We can let this ONE army pass.'

(though I assume Li'Sar also had to get through, which is an easier feat if you've killed them all. Speaking of which, there's no mention that Li'Sar has clearly lied about the safety of the valley.)

Like many scenarios now, just picking the right strategy. A decent anti-undead unit mix is not hard to guess at this point, it's more about the proper place to move them.

7. I do like the part where Moremirmu shows up to bail you out(if he's not already at your side, anwyay).

No changes.
SumnerH

Post by SumnerH »

I'm filling these out having done Elves Beseiged-A Choice Must Be Made on "medium" difficulty, and I'm following the advice to rank 10=hardest scenario in the campaign (Seige of Elsenfar), 1 = easiest (Elves Besieged)

Medium, Wesnoth version 1.4
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) [1]
8. Took a while to figure out a way to win without losing major troops
Very clear
I liked it, unlike Muff Malal it was written into the story line at the end of the previous scenario and worked well.
(5) What were your major challenges in completing the scenario?
I decided to hole up, but I'd like to go back and defeat the leaders some time too. Dealing with the wraiths that drain, getting a line established quickly enough in the south to crush them and move into the mountains with time to form defensive lines and heal up.
None, a good scenario.
FoggyEthan

Post by FoggyEthan »

I read the review comment discussing going straight at the eastern lich. I can't imagine how this is possible, at least on medium level with 1.4. I've tried it would have just said it is impossible except that someone here claimed they did it. Maybe I need more level 2 horsemen in my recall list. I've got 3 level 3s, and that's it. The lich produces a full complement of 10 new undead every single turn, so every turn the lich is protected it's a fight just to get next to the lich to fight the lich. I am not able to imagine how it is possible to get past this in a direct early fight. Also every unit I lose comes back to life against me, and it is not possible to avoid losing lives since they have an unlimited number of enemies to send at you. And it's worse if you're higher level, because the more likely you are to kill your attacker, the more attacks you'll get per round, since killing your attacker creates a new opening for them to send another unit at.

8. Took a while to figure out a way to win without losing major troops
Very clear
I liked it, unlike Muff Malal it was written into the story line at the end of the previous scenario and worked well.
I decided to hole up, but I'd like to go back and defeat the leaders some time too. Dealing with the wraiths that drain, getting a line established quickly enough in the south to crush them and move into the mountains with time to form defensive lines and heal up.
None, a good scenario.
I'm filling these out having done Elves Beseiged-A Choice Must Be Made on "medium" difficulty, and I'm following the advice to rank 10=hardest scenario in the campaign (Seige of Elsenfar), 1 = easiest (Elves Besieged)

Also this scenario is a completely money sinkhole. 12 turns of losses when it is impossible to get enough villages to cover your units.

6. It's possible to survive, but not to thrive. I can defeat one lich and then run down the clock. -400 gold from start to finish.
Very clear
Fine. Nothing particularly stood out.
When I first tried it I could never have imagined that the eastern lich would produce 10 undead a turn every single turn ad nauseum. I also cannot defeat him in an early rush. Knowing this forces a very different scenario.
I don't see any better way to play it than I did early on: kill one lich and hide. Leave a few scouts to run around and distract the other undead so they leave you alone.
zyx

Post by zyx »

(1) Medium
(2) 3
(3) Clear
(4) Clear and interesting
(5) No defeated units.
(6) 5
(7)
fareley

Post by fareley »

Dave wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
hard (it's the third campaign i ever play, i'm a reel greenhorn and do have a lot of ambition :D )
Dave wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
10!!!
Dave wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
well, i had some Problems to understand that it would be enough just killing the lichs. I really tried to survive 2 Days with 100 Gold and no Support of 3 Mages (the one who would help didn't survive at the other scenario)
Dave wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
i guess it was okay
Dave wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
i always killed all Enemies first before i killed their leader but had neigher a lot of skilled Paladins nor healers nor Gold. I started with 100 Gold and because I only leveled up each one Unit of the same type they were more or less worthless because what means 1 Paladin against 30 Zombies? The Level took me about 8 hours until i found out that the optional objectives will let you win too. I had to learn that 1 Elve-Healer Lvl 4 and an human healer Lvl 2 were too slow and that i just had to buy some time until the 2 human-cavalry lvl 1 and my Paladin wiped out all 3 Liches (at the second day in the afternoon - the paladin needed 2 rounds to kill his foe)
Dave wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
8 - it can be VERY frustrating (especially when you need 8 hours to match it...) but it was at the end really funny running with my leader west (south of the lake) and then north while the mountains and my 4 lvl1 thiefs defended agains 3 armies
Dave wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
maybe a hint like "offense is the best defense"
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

If you're relying on two lvl 1 horsemen (holy water included) to kill a lich east, I smell gobs of saveloading. First off, I'd work on having a better recruit list at this point (especially craptons of mages) and replaying the last level or two to try to arrive at this with more than 100 gold. But hey, you passed. If going back and redoing all that wouldn't be fun, then don't do it :P
fareley

Post by fareley »

well i saveloaded tons of times :wink:
but i had no idea how important it was to have enough gold...
my recrout list could be better, that's true
but i always try to get the right attributes (e.g. these lvl2 human cavalry with spears only fast and strong) and if i get some intelligent troops i don't tune them
but i replayed a lot of scenarios and it didn't really improved my army
if i read the recruit list of other players and their gold i feel so stupid...

edit: sry 4 my bad english...