What was the first campaign ?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheWesnothian

What was the first campaign ?

Post by TheWesnothian »

Hello, can somebody tell what was the very first campaign in Battle for Wesnoth ?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: What was the first campaign ?

Post by zookeeper »

Heir to the Throne.
TheWesnothian

Post by TheWesnothian »

It was what i thought.
Wesnothian

Post by Wesnothian »

I think Heir to the Throne is the original campaign of Wesnoth
since it's a like a follow-up after you finish the tutorial, and if you know the history
of Wesnoth by heart (you can read it on a page somewhere around here) you'll notice that
Heir to the Throne takes place right after the tutorial. But I think there are some campaigns that
take place BEFORE Konrad was born (just read out the history page and you'll understand).

Now, your username is identical to my username..
Is this an attack to the real Wesnothian (me)? :hmm:
And then, Dave said "Let there be light." And there was light.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Heir to the Throne was indeed the first campaign; Dave developed it in parallel with the core program.

For those who might be interested, here's a sample of the campaigns that have been included in the core version Wesnoth over time:

Wesnoth 0.7: Heir to the Throne, The Dark Hordes.
Wesnoth 0.8: The Rise of Wesnoth, Heir to the Throne, The Dark Hordes, Son of the Black Eye (chp1), The Eastern Invasion (beta)
Wesnoth 0.9: Heir to the Throne, The Dark Hordes, Son of the Black Eye (chp1), The Eastern Invasion, The Rise of Wesnoth
Wesnoth 1.02: Heir to the Throne, Son of the Black Eye (chp1), The Eastern Invasion, The Rise of Wesnoth
Wesnoth 1.2: A Tale of Two Brothers, The South Guard, Heir to the Throne, The Rise of Wesnoth, The Eastern Invasion, Under the Burning Suns
Wesnoth 1.4: A Tale of Two Brothers, An Orcish Incursion, The South Guard, Heir to the Throne, Liberty, The Rise of Wesnoth, The Eastern Invasion, The Hammer of Thursagan, Descent into Darkness, The Sceptre of Fire, Son of the Black Eye, Northern Rebirth, Under the Burning Suns
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
vicza

Re:

Post by vicza »

Wesnothian wrote:since it's a like a follow-up after you finish the tutorial, and if you know the history
of Wesnoth by heart (you can read it on a page somewhere around here) you'll notice that
Heir to the Throne takes place right after the tutorial.
Yes, but:
- Until 1.2 there was another tutorial (still with Delfador and Konrad, though)
- In tutorial one can play also for Lisar, what, I'd say, doesn't much fit into the httt storyline. :wink:
Wesnothian

Re: Re:

Post by Wesnothian »

vicza wrote:
Wesnothian wrote:since it's a like a follow-up after you finish the tutorial, and if you know the history
Heir to the Throne takes place right after the tutorial.
Yes, but:
- Until 1.2 there was another tutorial (still with Delfador and Konrad, though)
- In tutorial one can play also for Lisar, what, I'd say, doesn't much fit into the httt storyline. :wink:
I speak and base my opinions always on the latest version of Wesnoth, so thinks might change.
I forgot out Li'sar, but it still doesn't change the storyline and my opinion, and I'm fairly sure that
everything is more pointed to Konrad rather then Li'sar (I'm not saying that she never gets in a story or whatsoever).

EDIT: Regarding what I said about ''latest version'' I forgot to add that I ment stable versions, not development ones.
And then, Dave said "Let there be light." And there was light.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

What was the Dark Hordes, and why was it removed? Just out of interest.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

The Dark Hordes, the only existing undead campaign that isn't about "intending to do good". Also, it is still unfinished.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

AI wrote:The Dark Hordes, the only existing undead campaign that isn't about "intending to do good". Also, it is still unfinished.
And it is the only undead campaign that is undead itself. :mrgreen:
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

I personally prefer the stable versions when they're relatively recent. I like to let the first handful of dev versions iron some kinks out (if they're lacking people I'd always test tho). Then I switch over to the dev versions cuz I love the new stuff they do, and I just play on the most recent development version that is stable.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Actually the first campaign was a campaign about an Elvish captain who was commander of a group of Elves in a war against the orcs.

This campaign originally had two scenarios. The Isle of Anduin (the first ever Wesnoth map) and The Three Rivers.

Version 0.2, IIRC, dropped this campaign in favor of an early version of Heir to the Throne, which had the Elves Besieged scenario, and the Isle of Anduin as its second scenario.

The Three Rivers was dropped from that campaign but later became a multiplayer map, and was the primary map that miyo and I developed multiplayer on. It was later dropped from the game because it wasn't balanced and/or not interesting enough.

I feel that Heir to the Throne is one of the highest quality campaigns, due to the number of people who have worked on it, and is the most suitable to be the default campaign in Wesnoth again.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Dave wrote:Actually the first campaign was a campaign about an Elvish captain who was commander of a group of Elves in a war against the orcs.
Is there any copy of it available, just out of curiosity? Even if it uses old style [node][end] WML, I'd like to check it out. :P
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Shadow Master wrote:
Dave wrote:Actually the first campaign was a campaign about an Elvish captain who was commander of a group of Elves in a war against the orcs.
Is there any copy of it available, just out of curiosity? Even if it uses old style [node][end] WML, I'd like to check it out. :P
I think there was an 0.1 tarball floating around somewhere. That's where it'd be.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming