Ladder Site Online...

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Brutorix

Re: Ladder Site Online...

Post by Brutorix »

I've managed to log in before, just not this time.

I tried again just then for the 20th or so time though and it worked - no idea why.
Imperial Era Contributor,
Check out the Imperial Era Forums
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

Brutorix wrote:I've managed to log in before, just not this time.

I tried again just then for the 20th or so time though and it worked - no idea why.
My bet is that it depends on your browser blocking the cookies. Even if you use the same browser a program or an add-on could have changed your settings. Or it simply reloaded a catched verson of the site instead of really reloading it.

More info on the cookie trouble and the correct settings can be found in the ladder FAQ. As nobody else has any problems logging in and I just tried it out, I still believe you have a local problem. The amount of times you re-try shouldn't matter, unless of course you use a wicked browser or setup.

Edit: Another, maybe obvious, way to know if you're logged in or not that tsr didn't mention is to check if you see the login boxes: If you don't then you are in.
morphine

Post by morphine »

Just a quick post to say I'm still on it, but I was more busy than I thought this week :(

In the meantime I wrote a quick & dirty program to simulate a ladder with the various formulas we discussed here. I'll write more about the results as soon as I can.
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

morphine wrote:Just a quick post to say I'm still on it, but I was more busy than I thought this week :(

In the meantime I wrote a quick & dirty program to simulate a ladder with the various formulas we discussed here. I'll write more about the results as soon as I can.
:)
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

I have been banned of the server because gallifax says i have used his nick name to play a ladder game with a player called Greep. I can't believe this to be possible. I did not use anyone's name in any game. But because of some "sacred word" of a ladder player i cannot play wesnoth anymore.

This is not a fair behaviour. I am innocent. But one of the moderators demanded me to apologize to gallifax. I did not because i did not use his name in any game. Gallifax is the number one player of ladder and i was one of the last. I don't know Greep and i could not receive any benefit from the game between him and gallifax.

I think wesnoth should not become hostage of schemes like ladder, until there is a wesnoth system for user registration.
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

quasimodo wrote:I have been banned of the server because gallifax says i have used his nick name to play a ladder game with a player called Greep. I can't believe this to be possible. I did not use anyone's name in any game. But because of some "sacred word" of a ladder player i cannot play wesnoth anymore.

This is not a fair behaviour. I am innocent. But one of the moderators demanded me to apologize to gallifax. I did not because i did not use his name in any game. Gallifax is the number one player of ladder and i was one of the last. I don't know Greep and i could not receive any benefit from the game between him and gallifax.
I'm afraid your ban has nothing to do with the ladder it self or its moderation. There's no connection between the server admins and the ladder admins, something that's stated in this thread and also at several places at the ladder site.

If you feel you've been treated badly or unjust, for whatever reason, you should speak to the server admins or whoever represents the Wesnoth staff in these questions. As I'm not one of them I can't speak the server maintainers. I also know that it's very unlikely that you'll reach them through this thread since it's dedicated to the ladder (and you're having a server issue).
quasimodo wrote:I think wesnoth should not become hostage of schemes like ladder, until there is a wesnoth system for user registration.
There are currently over 1000 games played at the ladder. This is the first time ever I hear of any player being server banned. Since there is no relation between the different moderators I can't really help you. When it comes to having a wesnoth system for user registration it's a very old topic, one which a majority of the developers seem to have rejected a long time ago. Again, you'd have to contact the developers if you'd want to discuss anything that has to do with the game, while I'd be the correct person to contact if you want to discuss the ladder.

I also don't really see how Wesnoth becomes a hostage because of the ladders existence, nor that you or anyone else is forced to use it if it for any reason doesn't interest you. If you have an issue with the game developers and/or game server moderators it might be an idea to contact them. It would surprise me if they banned people without any reason or hard evidence - and Gallifax word alone is probably not it in either case (allthough I really don't want to speculate in these cases as I'm not involved in any way).

Edit: Since the ladder is unofficial I'm also certain that the wesonth server moderators don't give a frakk about Gallifax position on the ladder or anywhere else for that matter - it's irrelevant. People on the ladder or on certain positions on it don't get "special treatment". They can't since we're two different crews - the wesnoth staff, and the ladder site staff, and we're not affiliated in any way. As an example, I as the ladder "creator", wouldn't be able to get anyone banned from the Wesnoth server even if I wanted to. Why? Because it's not for me to decide. It's up to the Wesnoth staff.
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

Important announcement: Make your wish!

This offer won't come many times:

All who have an idea for the ladder, a feature, an improvement or addition, whatever it may be and however it involved the ladder site - please leave a reply in here to this post. You have until about the 15:th to do so, but the faster you come with the idea the better and greater chance it's implemented.

Please also notice that this is not about rule changes: It's about the site itself, the way we use it, the features it has and how it works. So, once again - if you have a wish just jot it down as detailed a possible in here and we'll check it out. All good ones (according to us) will be implemented.

Thanks.

Edit: You can what we have on the task lists alread by checking out >>> https://sourceforge.net/pm/?group_id=224204
Last edited by eyerouge on May 2nd, 2008, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Computer_Player »

Well here's my Wish list =)

1. A Search function
2. Highest Rank attained
3. Chat?
4. A Draw option?
5... err,. damn I can't think of anything. 4 is just not a nice number to finish with. =p

Oh and I suggest that people don't double post and just edit their posts if they think of something ew to add to their previous wishlist . thats all.

[Edit] Oh i thought of a number 5! The site pays the users 100 USD per use, now that's a feature that I'd like to see, it would really spike ladder use too! :twisted:
tsr

Post by tsr »

Ideas for the ladder:

- pagination by symbol and not by amount, so that you divide the players list (for players.php) into chunks of approx 100 items but not exactly 100 items and have the pages (considering your current player base) "1-D, E-K, L-Q, R-U, V-_".

- aliases, so that you can list a bunch of aliases that you go by.

- write a FR to Wesnoth so that we can have 5 lists in the mp lobby so that we can generate a ladder list that wont interfere with the friendslist or ignorelist (other players might want to use the extra 2 lists for other reasons)

- a more complex played-games-interface so that we can see all games by Player1, but also only losses/wins, games-vs-Player2, games-vs-lower-ranked-players, games-vs-higher-ranked-players, etc. (some of these searches could be linked to from the ladder-listing and/or player-profile).

- in the stats page, I find the drop-down annoying, it's only like 6 items there, it would be easier to just use links/small 'buttons'.

- the save game parser, I know you are already on to this, just a friendly reminder (oh and implement commands into the save game parser so that we can actually surrender, example "LoW-bot: surrender" or something similar, but nothing that can be accidently written down ;))

That's it for now :)

/tsr
ADmiral-N

Post by ADmiral-N »

When I get an in-game challenge from another ladder player, I want to be able to view their stats as quickly as possible on the site before I respond. The current huge list of players is not a good solution :> Please change that!

Also, the same huge amount of players slows down text selection in firefox on the "friends list" page. If you could save the last player from my last visit on that site and by default only display newcomers I haven't added to my preferences yet, well that would be an improvement :)
Subspace! Subspace is freeware and is the longest-running massively multiplayer internet space combat game in the world.
leocrotta

Post by leocrotta »

1. enhanced standings.php
In addition to tsr's 'stats page'-request I feel like it would be a good idea to make a fusion of stats & ladder-overview,
so that the ladder-table just offers a "sort_by xy (asc/desc)"-functionality. This would include getting every statistical information
provided with the stats drop-down except the newcomers. Furthermore a simple checkbox might toggle 'show-passive'
information there. In case of showing the newcomers maybe the index.php-information could be extended to the last 5 players that joined.
2. replay parser addon
I don't know exactly how you want to use the parser output, though a possibility might be getting a funny global variable for each player called *luck factor* :)
Additionally if you really got some time to waste create a php chart generator, based on the parser output which might look like this one
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 77#p296698 (though this is openoffice...) :wink:

...there are more ideas but those are actually the most obvious and interesting ones I had.

best regards
DrinianRzor

Post by DrinianRzor »

Let's see....

1. A username search function
2. If replay upload is implemented, do not make them required for already played and ranked games. Many new players do not save replays of their games and this would disadvantage them.

I might think of more later....

EDIT:
and lo and behold i do think of one.

3. When submitting a game, factions of the players should also be submitted via drop down menus. This gives us data on faction win/loss statistics, favorite factions for particular players, and so on.
chains

Post by chains »

Let me start by saying it is wonderfully encouraging to see so many ideas being posted. Keep it up. Even If I don't code them all by this release, the good ones will be added to the next release.

A comment on the replay game parser, it works wonderfully, currently it prints the contents of the file to the screen, if someone wants to make it do more than that, they have my complete blessing and support. Otherwise, it's sitting in my todo pile somewhere in my summer time bucket.

There have been several ideas, which I simply do not understand, because they are either too short, or just poorly worded. If you have a cool idea, and you want to see it in the ladder, please, please, take the time to completely explain the specification. So, then I can take take up your idea, and not some strange twilight zone version of what you were talking about. Pagination is a good example of a tough one done well... took me about 35 seconds to figure out what the word was, but the explanation that followed it gave me enough information to understand it. An example of a poor request: "1. A username search function" Fortunately this is one that many people have requested, myself included, but if it were any other idea, I'd be left guessing as to what this means. A better way to say it:"A text box that allows me to type in a string that matches user names from the players list. If I type 'chains' or 'cha' or 'ains' it should return chains' profile"
rwar

Post by rwar »

I'd like all different sorts of statistics, both on player profiles, and as a seperate page on the ladder site. These will probably be easier to do once a replay parser is made. For most of these, the map played, races gotten etc. is needed to be known, which can either be done via a replay parser (I think?), or by player input.

Statistics such as:
- Average rating of opponent. This has been discussed before I think? Didn't see it on the ladder when I checked a bit ago.
- Win ratios with race, on a specific map or as first/second player. You could expand that a bit, ie. one stat for win ratio on map as race playing nth.
- Average turns per game

Aside from average rating of opponent, they could all be looked at as either "player only", ie. Gallifaxes average turns per game, and "globally", ie. "race1 vs race2 win ratio, all players".

A timeframe limiter might prove to be useful, ie. "win ratio of race from date1 to date2".

There may be other stats that could be interesting, but I'm not getting any more atm ;o .. "Luck factor" was suggested above though.
woot
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

rwar wrote:- Average rating of opponent. This has been discussed before I think? Didn't see it on the ladder when I checked a bit ago.
You're right that it's not there in plain text, however, it can more or less in a sense be figured out by looking at the average win / loss points in a players profile (Average P WLT). Having an average of 12 winning points (W) means that you're usually winning over people that has about the same elo as you have... so in relative terms we have a measure that can be translated into Elo.