How do I counter Ghosts with Knalgans?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Duddl

How do I counter Ghosts with Knalgans?

Post by Duddl »

Ok, seriously. Is there any other way than outnumbering them? Even at day my Ulfs lose.
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How do I counter Ghosts with Knalgans?

Post by anakayub »

Options:

1) 2 thunderers can kill in one go (25% ctk), but you have a problem of retaliation without hitting at all.
2) poachers/footpads can range them as well, with higher consistent chance to at least hit, but reduced chance to kill (I think), and poachers are cheaper.
3) you might want to add with thieves; backstab is powerful against them at any time of day, and their elusivefoot movetype reduces the chance of gaining HP via drain
4) ulfs, but only from good terrain, at day and optimally at least injured, just check to make sure ctk is at least > 75%. I'd rather use the other methods when available.

In general, it's always best to zoc them if you think you can't kill them in 1 turn. And it's better to range them, as there is no drain.
Take a breath.
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

They only drain 1/hit in the daytime so anyone with damage kills them. Nagas on water, for example, as I learned it the hard way... (same goes for any knaigan troop with high enough hit/damage)
sam_waz_here

Post by sam_waz_here »

gryphons have the same dodge and deal enough damage that you can beat a ghost with two.
However unless you get levelled troops you can't one on one a ghost.
Where is the love?
chains

Post by chains »

Ghosts are one of the weakest undead units because they cost so much. Their only real purpose against dwarf is to kill ulfs at night. So, at night make sure your ulfs are 100% protected. If he pushes you so far backwards that your leader is within range of his adepts, then ulf his adept and stick your leader in front of your ulf so he can't ghost you. The following turn will be dawn and you can take over.

A dwarf fighter from hills will destroy a ghost, So your options are long... Just about all of your units will beat a ghost if you attack from hills, at any other time except night.

Just do NOT attack at night, run away instead. Also, Do not attack with melee from grasslands at at dawn / dusk save grassland melee attacks for thieves or the day time.

During the day 4-1 / 4-1 / 4-1 from your fighters destroy ghosts.
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

Thunderers and Thieves, and a poacher if you've got it, but I wouldn't get more v. undead unless there was a lot of swamp on the map.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
nataS

Post by nataS »

I think one important point it that, while it is true knalgans have a hard time killing a ghost. Ghosts have an equally hard time killing basically all knalgan units. But when it comes to it you can pick from a range of ghost hunters including already mentioned thunderer, gryphon and thiefs.
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Oh, and let's not forget the multi-purpose unit when it comes to Knalgan vs Undead: the footpad. Great cheap unit to at least zoc if not deliver really powerful blows.
Take a breath.
wy29

Post by wy29 »

Ghosts have very little HP, and that can be easily exploited.

Melee units vs ghosts:
Never attempt to strike a ghost from 30% def terrain unless you can kill in 1 blow.

Usually, you don't use melee units against a full hp ghost, unless you outnumber it.
Wait for the ghost to attack you on 50-60% def terrain.
You will take some damage, but ghost will take some damage too.
Once the ghost is weakened, it's a lot easier to kill the next turn.
Units such as thug is good against ghosts since they have 4 strikes and 2 are expected to hit.

Ranged units vs ghosts:
Ranged units against ghosts are a lot easier.
Poachers have 4 strikes and 2 are expected to hit.
Thunderers are luck depended and you should always use 2 in a team so that 1 of them is expected to hit.

Ghosts are barely a threat if all your units are on good terrain(50-70% def).
TromboneStar
HP 42
7-3 Melee Trombone
4-4 Ranged Star
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

wy29 wrote: Units such as thug is good against ghosts since they have 4 strikes and 2 are expected to hit.
Which version are you playing? :P
Take a breath.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Thugs have been out for a long time.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

I was going to ask why, but a search answered my question: balance. (with skellies)