units.wesnoth.org

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

allefant
Units Database Administrator

units.wesnoth.org

Post by allefant »

ESR, Soliton and me were working on a new script to generate units.wesnoth.org recently. You can see the result of the current version here: http://units.wesnoth.org

Please let us know about any bugs or ideas how to improve it.
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Re: units.wesnoth.org

Post by Wintermute »

wow! That's really nice. I think the ease of browsing by era, campaign and in other languages is very slick. Good work!

A few comments:
1) For whatever reason, the unit level indicator is small and a little hard to see with the default settings of Opera, the browser I use. I tried using Firefox and the display seems fine, so I am not sure quite what the issue is. It would only be relevant to new players, who might not notice the level indicators if they were a bit squished. It's still 'readable' with opera, if you know what you are looking at, and of course the layout makes it very intuituve.

2) It is very nice to be able to click on a unit and bring up the full stats, but a note at the top of the page that indicates you can do this would be a good idea I think, even if it is documented elsewhere. Some people might have navigated to that page, and then changed the language to something that they can read, so having the note translated would be nice too, IMHO.

3) It might be nice to show, for at least the default era, which units can be (randomly or otherwise) selected as faction leaders. Perhaps a "leader crown" or something, either on the index pages or on the full unit stats page could do this well.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Could you add the abilities the unit has ? This information is visible nowhere.
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
DDR

Post by DDR »

Could you put the unit ID in there? For instance,
these "Devling Flyers" are included in the recruit= lists as :EOM_Devling Flyers". Could you put that in the stats somewhere? Perhaps, in a small box that comes up when you mouse over the picture, like in XKCD?

OK, that's my only problem with it. I like it! 8)
allefant

Post by allefant »

Thanks!
1) For whatever reason, the unit level indicator is small and a little hard to see with the default settings of Opera, the browser I use
I made it bigger.
2) It is very nice to be able to click on a unit and bring up the full stats, but a note at the top of the page that indicates you can do this would be a good idea
I added an info link to each unit, so you can now click that link, or the picture, or the heading, to get to the sub-page - think that should work? A translated message is a bit of a problem as the script to make this site is not internationalized itself right now..
It might be nice to show, for at least the default era, which units can be (randomly or otherwise) selected as faction leaders. Perhaps a "leader crown" or something, either on the index pages or on the full unit stats page could do this well.
I added a crown symbol to the level indicator for leaders, and a pawn symbol for recruitable units - is it obvious enough?
Done, shows them on each unit page and in the overview.
Could you put the unit ID in there?
Done. Also hovering over the info link now shows the ID, and the URL of the page for a single unit already was the ID as well.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

allefant wrote:
It might be nice to show, for at least the default era, which units can be (randomly or otherwise) selected as faction leaders. Perhaps a "leader crown" or something, either on the index pages or on the full unit stats page could do this well.
I added a crown symbol to the level indicator for leaders, and a pawn symbol for recruitable units - is it obvious enough?
The crown isn't very identifiable as a crown, btw for me it's good enough.
allefant wrote:
Done, shows them on each unit page and in the overview.
It works nicely except with leadership (that is in fact constructed from several tags with the same id). You need not to repeat abilities if the id has been already encountered for this unit.
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

I think the order of the attacks could be better differently. Currently the bat is:

blade 4 - 2 melee

I think that's a bit awkward to have something before giving the actual damage type since the number probably that is most important is the 4-2, not the damage type. I think a better order would be:

4 - 2 melee (blade)

OR

4 - 2 melee, blade

This matches in-game a little better where the number's first, then the range, then the damage type.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
elricz

Post by elricz »

It looks very good. I know that I have been absent for a long while, but if there is anything where I can help please let me know.
DDR

Post by DDR »

Thanks, allefant. I love it!
allefant

Post by allefant »

Indeed, I simply was lazy and used two unicode characters instead of finding the right pictures to use. Easy to change though if someone tells me the pictures to use.
It works nicely except with leadership (that is in fact constructed from several tags with the same id). You need not to repeat abilities if the id has been already encountered for this unit.
Did just that.
I think the order of the attacks could be better differently.
True, changed it.
It looks very good. I know that I have been absent for a long while, but if there is anything where I can help please let me know.
The main reason was to convert the perl script to a python one, so credit should still be yours for the original idea :) I just had some fun playing with the CSS along the way (not really an expert on it though, mainly tried to match the wesnoth.org style).
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

allefant wrote:
Indeed, I simply was lazy and used two unicode characters instead of finding the right pictures to use. Easy to change though if someone tells me the pictures to use.
My original thought was to use the "leader crown" (gold) for units that could be leaders when selecting random, and the "hero crown" for the other units that can be chosen as leaders, but will not be given to you if you select "random faction" when playing multiplayer. I can't seem to find the lead crown though :?
so perhaps just using the hero crown for all units that can be leaders would be a good start. Since all leaders in default are level 2 units, I don't think it's necessary to have another image for nonleaders. Absence of a crown is obvious enough IMO.

The hero crown (sliver) is /data/core/images/misc/hero-icon.png

Also: It seems that the various branches (trunk, 1.5.0, 1.4.1, etc.) are not always updated together? I have noticed that as you implement the changes, sometimes trunk is affected and not stable, whereas now it seems that trunk and stable are current but 1.5.0 has not been updated (it has the older attack format). :?:
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
allefant

Post by allefant »

Some eras also have units which can be neither leaders nor recruited.. not sure it's important to see those (right now it's those with neither crown nor pawn). I'll replace the unicode symbol with hero-icon.png in any case. And I have no control over the website updating.. it takes a lot of time though. Parsing all WML takes about a minute, and it has to be done 44 times for all the languages, and then for 1.4, 1.5 and trunk.
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

allefant wrote:Some eras also have units which can be neither leaders nor recruited.. not sure it's important to see those (right now it's those with neither crown nor pawn).
I agree. I think it would be good to include it on eras that ship (default, AoH, and Great War) at minimum, but leaving it off any of the rest should be fine.
allefant wrote:I'll replace the unicode symbol with hero-icon.png in any case. And I have no control over the website updating.. it takes a lot of time though. Parsing all WML takes about a minute, and it has to be done 44 times for all the languages, and then for 1.4, 1.5 and trunk.
I see. That makes sense, as it would explain the difference. I was just curious about the process, as everything seems to get updated, but if you look too soon it seems haphazard. Doesn't seem to be a problem though, especially after updates become infrequent.