Siege Wars - New Construction Era!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lightdragonx

Re: Siege Wars - New Construction Era!

Post by lightdragonx »

oh and bob please can you make it so the opposing team does not hear if your village Riots,etc?

one more thing- i think unrest should olso effect riot chance as otherwise i can have a ton of villages, build a town hall and put 200% tax rate and go on and tax since when i tax the village gives me double and most of the time its not going to rebel so i do that and get LOTS of gold.
nataS

Post by nataS »

I found another small issue. Being that you can build outside maps. On hamlets all you need is a commander (bigger build range), then go with mouse to the tile 6.1, move it up a little and you can build a wall outside the map. Not of much use but you can also do it with monuments (and they do work).

During dawn and day horseman has a 16% chance to kill queen and lord with a single attack. If they have like 50 hitpoints and a 10% pierce resist they can survive.
lightdragonx wrote:oh and bob please can you make it so the opposing team does not hear if your village Riots,etc?
I think its a fun element to the game that you an hear there is a riot at the enemy town.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

The concept looks very nice, Bob. I think the Wall units probably look the worst, though. I had a suggestion: you can use standing animation filters to make the walls appear joined together.
You just need artwork for all the possible configurations, then I could help you with the WML.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Sapient wrote:The concept looks very nice, Bob. I think the Wall units probably look the worst, though. I had a suggestion: you can use standing animation filters to make the walls appear joined together.
You just need artwork for all the possible configurations, then I could help you with the WML.
I agree, but perhaps count towers as parts of wall configurations (i.e. tower on a wall).
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Yes, and you should probably disallow people from placing Wall / Tower units on Castle terrain. Why? because it just looks weird.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
idanwin

Post by idanwin »

some ideas:
-Maybe you could include a university where you can research new technologies.
-Lighning hurts the unit.
-Lighning can be cast on units too (not just buildings).
-Poison (like lightning, just poisons the unit [not]race=building[/not] :D ).
-Upgrade 'multitraining'; a barracks can train 2 units a turn.
-Option to hire assasins

I'll post more if I can think of some.
Last edited by idanwin on May 14th, 2008, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Idanwin
Life is short, I can make it even shorter...
Gallery ~ Contrib:Idanwin (21)
lightdragonx

Post by lightdragonx »

i love this when is the next version coming out?
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

idanwin wrote:Maybe you could include a university where you can research new technologies.
I like this idea, perhaps technologies lead to upgrades in buildings. For example, you can only build wood walls/towers at first and must research stone walls/towers. The university could also have HP upgrades.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB »

Monuments seem to be bugged, when destroying them your unrest doesn't increase. I think Monuments should decrease unrest/turn, building hundreds of them because your enemy is propaganding all the time is just weird.
nataS

Post by nataS »

Monument wall
cib.png
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

maybe you should only allow one monument, but the ability to upgrade it.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Sapient wrote:maybe you should only allow one monument, but the ability to upgrade it.
That's similar to what I suggested yesterday, but still allowing more than one monument.

Basically, monument -> great monument (or something else) -> wonder. Each time it's like buying a new monument, except it's cheaper than actually building one (and saves space). That way people will only have 2-3 at most, even on large maps and long games. One way it could work is great monument is 60g for -5 unrest added to the monument and wonder is 120g for an additional -10 unrest.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
nataS

Post by nataS »

The hard part is balancing propaganda and monuments against eachother. And having them counter eachother in a somewhat direct way where none of the players gets a real advantage is rather boring too. Perhaps propaganda could also influence riot chance in villages while building/upgrading your monument is a bit cheaper? Another idea I had for the monument is to make it more powerful when you put units in the tiles directly ascending to it.

Monument lvl 1:
Monument lvl 2:
Monument lvl 3 (optional illumination or delumination):
ImageImage
(delumination image from era of strife)

Then it can be further upgraded by up to six units at the tiles ascending to it. And (optional) where the aura of light version (with "worshipers") helps lowering your unrest, the dark aura version of it would make unrest higher at an enemy player of your choice (with a switch toggle). The worshipers will need to be rather powerful because it takes quite a lot of orders to take them there, also lvl 2/3/4 units should give a worship power multiplied by their lvl.
nataS

Post by nataS »

Release of Kingdoms 2vs2
Rival kingdoms go to war, players can obtain bonuses by raiding enemy outposts while defending their own.
kingdoms2.png
kingdoms2.png (44.94 KiB) Viewed 4419 times
readme wrote:##-- Kingdoms Siege 2vs2 -##
- Two versus two player map by nataS for Siege Wars by Bob_The_Mighty
- Big thanks to Bob_The_Mighty for the great mod, and proving and helping me with the code.
- Also thanks to CIB, Aethaeryn, Sandermatt, Lord_Midnight, and others for helping me with playtesting.
- Compatible with and tested for Siege Wars 0.5
# Unpack files to:
- Windows: C:\Program Files\Wesnoth\userdata\data\campaigns\Siege_Wars\
- Linux: ~/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Siege_Wars/
- Mac: ~/Library/Preferences/Wesnoth/data/campaigns/Siege_Wars/
Download:
kingdoms2.zip
(2.77 KiB) Downloaded 275 times
nataS

Post by nataS »