Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Re: Desert Elves

Post by Federalist marshal »

I've given him the Captain's brassard, the Captain's sword, and shoes with a different lining.
Attachments
DesertHero2.png
DesertHero2.png (3.87 KiB) Viewed 4879 times
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Looks good, but don't forget his other little sword.

Figured I should go ahead and do the rest of the Shaman line. No Desert Sorceresses, IIRC, so here's a possibility for the Druid.
Attachments
druid.png
druid.png (2.69 KiB) Viewed 4717 times
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Nice and distinguishable enough from the forest elvish druid. :) I like her.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Attack frames completeted.
megane wrote:Looks good, but don't forget his other little sword.
I thought the "other sword" was the sheath for the one he already has in his right hand.
megane wrote:Figured I should go ahead and do the rest of the Shaman line. No Desert Sorceresses, IIRC, so here's a possibility for the Druid.
Oh, well done! :) Could you do the shyde as well?
Attachments
DesertHero-melee2.png
DesertHero-melee2.png (3.83 KiB) Viewed 4620 times
DesertHero-melee1.png
DesertHero-melee1.png (3.77 KiB) Viewed 4621 times
Last edited by Federalist marshal on April 30th, 2008, 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Defend frame...
Attachments
DesertHero-defend.png
DesertHero-defend.png (4.13 KiB) Viewed 4618 times
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

megane wrote:Figured I should go ahead and do the rest of the Shaman line. No Desert Sorceresses, IIRC, so here's a possibility for the Druid.
Oh, well done! :) Could you do the shyde as well?[/quote]
But please, no wings. I don't know what could they be replaced with (yet, I'll think about that, creative ideas very welcome of course :D ), but wings... brrr :augh:
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

How to make an elf fly without wings.... levitation?
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Whirlwind around the legs?
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Mist wrote:But please, no wings. I don't know what could they be replaced with (yet, I'll think about that, creative ideas very welcome of course :D ), but wings... brrr :augh:
Why not? IIRC the whole point was to indicate that, as they advanced levels the shaman line became more and more fae/ethereal in nature. That shouldn't change just because they're now in a desert setting.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

irrevenant wrote:IIRC the whole point was to indicate that, as they advanced levels the shaman line became more and more fae/ethereal in nature. That shouldn't change just because they're now in a desert setting.
Seconded.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Few reasons. I want this bunch to look more 'raw' than their sophisticated forest-dwelling ancestors, I belive that change of basic priorities from coexistence with nature to daily fight for survival needs to show. Forest nurtures and protects, desert is unforgiving. I also think they no longer are as attuned to nature, remember that for them Zhul is a priestess not a druid and they belive in gods and ancestors now. This should change the way they develop themselves. And etheralnes in the desert is represented by stuff like djins, dust devils and desert winds, there are no dragonflies or butterflies in sight. You can only atune to what you know and see around you. And in the end 'fae' for me is much broader term than a winged forest fairy.
Disorder.
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Ranged frames for the Hero.
Neoskel wrote:Whirlwind around the legs?
Perhaps something similar, except using a vortex of sand around the back where the wings would be?
Attachments
DesertHero-Ranged1.png
DesertHero-Ranged1.png (3.2 KiB) Viewed 4384 times
DesertHero-Ranged2.png
DesertHero-Ranged2.png (3.38 KiB) Viewed 4385 times
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Hmm...
If the Shyde is going to be different for desert elves, perhaps it should be completely redone - an idea for making it fly would be one of those "whirl" things... no idea what they're called.

In fact, if neither Megane nor Federalist Marshall would mind, I'd like to take a stab at this. I may have some ideas here... :hmm:
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Mist wrote:Few reasons. I want this bunch to look more 'raw' than their sophisticated forest-dwelling ancestors, I believe that change of basic priorities from coexistence with nature to daily fight for survival needs to show. Forest nurtures and protects, desert is unforgiving. I also think they no longer are as attuned to nature, remember that for them Zhul is a priestess not a druid and they believe in gods and ancestors now. This should change the way they develop themselves. And etherealness in the desert is represented by stuff like djinns, dust devils and desert winds, there are no dragonflies or butterflies in sight. You can only attune to what you know and see around you. And in the end 'fae' for me is much broader term than a winged forest fairy.
I'm not a fan of this approach - it seems inconsistent. Elves fae essence has nothing to do with nature. It has to do with originally being from the realm of faerie - a realm that the shyde and sylphs are closer to than most elves.

If you want to indicate that they no longer have that affinity to their realm, then you should change the stats of the units accordingly. Make it more 'elemental' than 'fae' perhaps.

Besides, deserts are no less natural than forests. For all their forbidding appearance, deserts are teeming with life.
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

irrevenant wrote:I'm not a fan of this approach - it seems inconsistent. Elves fae essence has nothing to do with nature. It has to do with originally being from the realm of faerie - a realm that the shyde and sylphs are closer to than most elves.
And I'm not a fan of 'copy and recolor' approach because it's both shallow and lacks any sort of creativity. If I wanted them to be like forest elves, or if there was any point of them beeing like forest elves besides this vague 'fae' requirement, I'd use forest elves instead because they do have art, portraits and balanced stats. You can't seriously moan at me wanting to develop them differently and on people making dark/swamp/dirt/whatever elves for lack of creativity. Only thing that's at the moment set in stone is a myth regarding their ancestry, and that's it. They might have nothing to do with long gone forest elves altogether, there might be other influences and roots gained along the way, and the cataclysm of second sun might warp ever truth of past times to a completely different form. UtBS is in a way as separate setting as EE or IE, there is no point in throwing away all the possibilities it gives just because it looks and feels different.
irrevenant wrote:If you want to indicate that they no longer have that affinity to their realm, then you should change the stats of the units accordingly. Make it more 'elemental' than 'fae' perhaps.
I want to indicate that this connection, and the whole world around them, changed. Resistances will get altered, some atacks will change as well. But whole this work will take time.
irrevenant wrote:Besides, deserts are no less natural than forests. For all their forbidding appearance, deserts are teeming with life.
And I never said it's that, I just indicated that desert is much harsher enviroment and that will rub on anything that lives on it.
Disorder.